advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
lancing a boil?!.....Lance Armstrong documentary coming this Sunday......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 21, 2020 06:15PM
....to ESPN....2 parts.....part 1 debuTTs this Sunday......2nd part next Sunday.......

.....Lance Armstrong ESPN documentary details forgery, grudges and 10,000 lies

......Part one airs at 9 p.m. ET on Sunday, May 24 followed by part two at the same time on May 31.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2020 06:20PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: lancing a boil?!.....Lance Armstrong documentary coming this Sunday......
Posted by: Drew
Date: May 21, 2020 08:34PM
I haven't seen the documentary of course, but this whole story brings up mixed emotions in me. I was an avid bicycle rider in those days. Loved Lance and all he did. Couldn't believe the drug rumors until he said it himself. I was blind and stupid. Since then, it's often hard to cheer for my favorite teams, especially pro sports, because it's all about the money. It's only personal and not about the team. Of course it is. I guess it took me a long time to let go of that childhood fantasy. Lance reminds me of all that.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 21, 2020 10:33PM
Drew
I haven't seen the documentary of course, but this whole story brings up mixed emotions in me. I was an avid bicycle rider in those days. Loved Lance and all he did. Couldn't believe the drug rumors until he said it himself. I was blind and stupid. Since then, it's often hard to cheer for my favorite teams, especially pro sports, because it's all about the money. It's only personal and not about the team. Of course it is. I guess it took me a long time to let go of that childhood fantasy. Lance reminds me of all that.

It is never about the team, even in peewee ball.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Drew
Date: May 21, 2020 10:37PM
Speedy
Drew

It is never about the team, even in peewee ball.

I disagree, at least based on personal experience. Not just with youth sports but also in adult life. But I certainly get your point.
Posted by: d4
Date: May 22, 2020 07:15AM
Lance Armstrong on Joe Rogan's JRE podcast is worth a listen.
In a "long form" 2-hour conversation you really get to hear what they have to say. Rogan keeps it moving along at a good pace.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: tuqqer
Date: May 22, 2020 08:37AM
Drew

This was really well put. I think you speak for millions, and it goes far beyond cycling and sports.

What it brings up for me: Lance's story was the first time I ever looked up and studied concepts such as sociopathy, narcissism, and the DSM. I'd never even looked up their meanings before him. Still blows me away at how difficult it was for him to admit lying, and go through the process of making amends. He could've turned himself into a role model for others to follow.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: May 22, 2020 09:02AM
I hear Sheryl Crow's nickname for him was Lee Harvey Oswald. Y'know, the lone nut.

Thanks, I'll be here all week.
Posted by: d4
Date: May 22, 2020 09:04AM
Cheating, Lies, Denials, Sociopathy, narcissism, and achievement above all else — a decade later it sounds like the college admissions bribery scandal.

Posted by: SteveO
Date: May 22, 2020 01:02PM
I am an avid cyclist (2-3k miles/yr), I teach bike safety to kids and adults, and am a partner in a pumptrack company. Perhaps I am a bit biased, but that man is disgusting. He hurt so many people, and the sport. But the governing board of USAC pretty much knew all about what was happening and kept mum until their hand was forced. Sadly, he is not alone. Pro sports is riddled to the core with performance and other illegal drugs and cheating, and those in charge are complicit pigs at the money trough.

I will have to listen to that Rogan podcast, though I shudder at hearing 2 hours of Armstrong's bs. Was he challenged by Rogan, feet held to fire? The standard defense is "But he's raised so much for cancer research..." And he's a cancer on society. Narcissist and so much more. There are some good docs on Armstrong. I'm sure this one will also be the same. Thanks for posting it.

This doc called Icarus is also a great exposé on doping. It's about a guy who raced the amateur TdF clean, and then doped — to see how much better he could do by doping. It is fascinating, chilling and timely also in the Russian doping connection. All of pro cycling is basically dopetown.
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: May 22, 2020 04:23PM
Drew

Ditto.

Like Drew, I just was getting to enjoy the Tour de France and other races just over a decade ago. Getting to know the riders and watching Lance on his rides in the races again. Also, enjoyed watching the transition of the Tour de France into the HD world and all the wonderful footage.

Once Lance came out with his doping, I couldn't watch the races for a good couple of years. Now I watch the Tour de France in the background, more so for watching bikers in the wonderful scenery of France. However, now it has been much harder to cheer for a team or any one rider.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2020 04:24PM by SKYLANE.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 22, 2020 06:36PM
I thought that all professional competitive cyclists doped their blood, and that all baseball and football players used steroids.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: May 23, 2020 09:17AM
Don't examine your heroes too closely - John Cleese

Lots of wisdom here about sport and teams. How many championships in TdF have been vacated?

As far as team sports go, apart from a few individual players, as Jerry Seinfeld put it, you're actually rooting for the clothes.
[www.youtube.com]

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 124
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018