advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Spoofers getting good, bunch of shoe site spoofs going on
Posted by: Wags
Date: May 21, 2020 11:24PM
I got burned last week on a Ecco spoof site that's posting ads on Facebook. I had to cancel my credit card and dispute a $57 charge. Could be worse. I knew the prices were stupidly cheap but I wanted to believe, you know, plague and all. I knew immediately when my card was being processed - took too long, seemed to be bouncing around. I got ahold of the cc co. immediately but it was already pending. It was a completely believable spoof of Ecco's real site, still up. [www.eccousstore.com] The next day I emailed the real Ecco and they confirmed it was fraud.

So I posted a blaspheme-laced orange colored marquee FB scree, something to the effect of you make billions but you can't even feign the most minimal amount of due diligence. Seriously, it took me about 30 seconds to contact Ecco off of their actual site. No one seems to care, especially Facebook.

This morning I saw another spoof on a Facebook ad for Keen Shoes. The prices were really too cheap. So I did the most cursory look into that one and its also a really good spoof. They must be just cloning the web sites or something. I feel some kinship with Keen because they are local to me and I've done cab business with them over the years, they are one or our accounts.

This afternoon there were potentially two more, a Salenza Sandals and this one: [birchbury.co] It looks totally pro, but I don't think it is, nothing on Amazon and all the domain names are available.

Maybe someone here with actual digital sleuthing skills could take a look at Birchbury.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Spoofers getting good, bunch of shoe site spoofs going on
Posted by: Wags
Date: May 21, 2020 11:39PM
So as it turns out, the Birchbury site tracks to an address in Sherman Oaks which is a law firm currently under suspension. It's truly a feeding frenzy.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: May 22, 2020 01:26AM
It’s truly a shame, for nothing but a few clicks, the scam artist make off with thousands or hundreds of thousands or maybe even a couple of million before enough people catch wind. Too small for Facebook or the shoe companies, much less law-enforcement to care. Virtually a license to steal.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 23, 2020 04:22PM
....what about.....satire.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 287
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018