advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
A pleasant little discovery
Posted by: DP
Date: May 22, 2020 07:53AM
In the grand scheme of things it's small but I got a smile out of it.

I have a Wren birdhouse that has been used every year for quite a few years now and I saw one fly in the other day. But it didn't seem right...

...because the tail on this bird is too long for a Wren. I wait till it comes back out and...

...it's a Black-capped Chickadee! I have never seen a Chickadee nest before and because they are small birds they have no issue fitting in the opening of a birdhouse made for Wrens.

Probably have a very annoyed Wren out there that the Chickadee got there first.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: A pleasant little discovery
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: May 22, 2020 08:21AM
Big smile over here too!
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: May 22, 2020 08:32AM
goodone

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 22, 2020 12:12PM
squatters rights!

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: hal
Date: May 22, 2020 12:20PM
nice pics!
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 22, 2020 02:01PM
Yeah, great pix.

We hadn't seen wrens yet this year, but then a possible tenant for our wren house showed up this week and was checking it out.
Date: May 22, 2020 05:08PM
pdq
Yeah, great pix.

We hadn't seen wrens yet this year, but then a possible tenant for our wren house showed up this week and was checking it out.

Possibly it had to check it out first because males build a few nests to attract a female which she then chooses the nest she likes. Then with the accepted male they finish building it! It's possible my wren house wasn't chosen so the chickadee says "I'll take it! Only half the work to do!".

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 22, 2020 05:42PM
.....bird in the hand.....????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: May 22, 2020 06:02PM
Nice shots, DP! thumbs up

I was sitting outside at my storage biz this afternoon and heard my first killdeers of the season. Always have to watch when mowing because they make their nests on the ground. The let me know when I get close to the nest though. They act like they're dying and all hope is lost, trying to lead me away. smiley-laughing001

Also saw a pair of barn swallows scouting out a nest location. Those guys are truly acrobats.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: May 22, 2020 07:34PM
I love Swallows-how they fly low over water and grab bugs right at the surface! Here's a couple of Barn Swallow pix I got at Magee Marsh a few years ago:

No other Swallow has the long forked tail. Beautiful color too...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 179
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018