Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Car and, specifically, Fiero enthusiasts
Posted by: DP
Date: May 22, 2020 12:57PM
Pontiac Fieros destroyed in mid-Michigan flooding

Timothy Evans loved Pontiac Fieros so much that he amassed his own collection of the short-lived sports cars. He even opened a museum to showcase and sell the vehicles.

So when floodwaters from the Tittabawassee River began creeping toward his business earlier this week, 73-year-old Evans scrambled to move his cars to dry ground, where he thought they'd be safe.

Then the Edenville and Sanford dams breached Tuesday, inundating parts of the Midland County village and flooding his beloved cars. Of Evans' 20 Fieros, only one, the vehicle he drove home Tuesday, was untouched.

“It's devastating,” he said Thursday outside his decimated shop and museum, Fieros Forever, Michigan.

What's more: Evans was ready to sell his Fieros after suffering a stroke a few years back. He'd put his cars and parts up for auction, but the coronavirus pandemic delayed the sales.

[freep.mi.newsmemory.com]

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Car and, specifically, Fiero enthusiasts
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 22, 2020 01:12PM
Oh no! I have a friend with 2. One is the V-6 version that had the 2.8L auto motor in it and swapped in a 4.3L truck motor. Really scoots!

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: May 22, 2020 01:15PM
So tragic!!... for the cars too.
Boy I used to love Fieros as a kid. My dad thought it was too small a car to be safe.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: May 22, 2020 01:25PM
My brother loved them! He had two. He drove the first one into the dirt, lots 'o miles, and replaced it with a 2nd one. He was devastated when GM stopped production. He was 6' 6" and it was kind of comical watching him fold himself up to get inside.

I drove his first one a few times, it was ok, but damn, no storage room. The trunk was a joke.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: May 22, 2020 01:32PM
My buddy hit a coyote with his one night. Fixed it with a heat gun. (plastic body panels, like parts of Saturns)

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 22, 2020 02:02PM
Well, bonus, the fire in the V-6 engines will dry all that right out...
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 22, 2020 02:38PM
They can be converted into a Fiarri too.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: August West
Date: May 22, 2020 02:53PM
I recall them as junk, where is this cult coming from? eek2 smiley

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 22, 2020 03:22PM
A friend of mine had one... Very zippy little car, but, god help you if you needed a new clutch. The factory manual instructions for replacing the clutch were "step one, remove engine and transmission".
In the late 80's, it was going to cost him $1800 to replace the clutch. That's around $5,000 today. He sold the car instead.

He's a short guy, so he fit the Fiero really well. All his friends are tall-ish, and we %$@# HATED that thing. You sit on the floor of the car, with your legs straight out in front of you. After about ten minutes, you can't get out of the car... you just kinda open the door, and "fall" out on the pavement, then stand up.

I feel really bad for the guy and his collection, though, regardless of my feelings for the Fiero. I hope he had insurance that covers it!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2020 03:23PM by Paul F..
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: May 22, 2020 03:41PM
August West

Ehhh... (and RacerX might disagree with me on this) GM has a history of getting all excited about advanced projects, following the Microsoft model of carving the shipment date in stone ("I don't care whether it's ready or not, the press release said September first so September first it is!"), rushing models to market before they're fully sorted out, playing catch-up via recalls to fix everything that should have been fixed before release, then losing interest in the project once it is as good as or better than it was supposed to be from the beginning and canceling it after all the problems are fixed. Examples: Chevrolet Corvair, Chevrolet Citation, Pontiac Fiero.

In summation, the early Fieros had definite issues but they got better year by year and the last ones were actually quite good.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2020 03:44PM by Thrift Store Scott.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 22, 2020 03:56PM
Thrift Store Scott
Ehhh... (and RacerX might disagree with me on this) GM has a history of getting all excited about advanced projects, following the Microsoft model of carving the shipment date in stone ("I don't care whether it's ready or not, the press release said September first so September first it is!"), rushing models to market before they're fully sorted out, playing catch-up via recalls to fix everything that should have been fixed before release, then losing interest in the project once it is as good as or better than it was supposed to be from the beginning and canceling it after all the problems are fixed. Examples: Chevrolet Corvair, Chevrolet Citation, Pontiac Fiero.

... and Chevrolet Cosworth Vega.
Date: May 22, 2020 04:18PM
DeusxMac
Thrift Store Scott

... and Chevrolet Cosworth Vega.

Crap, I forgot about the Vega! Except for a couple of foibles like the engine*, base OR Cosworth, design-wise the Vega was vastly superior to Ford's Pinto, but Ford executed the so-so Pinto very well whereas GM executed the Vega horribly.

* Basically it was 2/3rds of a Pontiac OHC 6, meaning that it had the added complexity and maintenance demands of an overhead cam without deriving any benefits from it, plus it had an aluminum block with no cast iron cylinder liners to resist wear which lasted exactly as long as you'd expect it to in use... bad idea on top of bad idea.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 22, 2020 05:27PM
Sucks about that guy's passion project getting wiped out. There's no good outcomes there.

I remember really digging the idea of the Fiero back in the day, once it got a V6, nice tires and the rest. There was even a moment where it was compared favorably with the Miata (always a better car overall).

And then GM was GM, and after barely developing the idea got rid of it. Just like what they did with the Sky and Solstace.
Date: May 22, 2020 05:37PM
Thrift Store Scott

* Basically it was 2/3rds of a Pontiac OHC 6, ...

I still have an unrepentant, unnatural desire for either a '66-'67 230c.i. Lemans Sprint or 1st-gen 250c.u. Firebird Sprint. 4sp, Posi, and Q-Jet, please.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2020 05:37PM by deckeda.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: May 22, 2020 06:03PM
August West

Did you ever drive one?

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: May 22, 2020 06:46PM
deckeda
Thrift Store Scott

I still have an unrepentant, unnatural desire for either a '66-'67 230c.i. Lemans Sprint or 1st-gen 250c.u. Firebird Sprint. 4sp, Posi, and Q-Jet, please.

Both very nice cars, but why specifically with the OHC 6, other than the cool OHC 6 badge on the fender?

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 22, 2020 08:44PM
Thrift Store Scott
deckeda
Thrift Store Scott

Both very nice cars, but why specifically with the OHC 6, other than the cool OHC 6 badge on the fender?

straight 6s are the ultimate motor. naturally balanced, great torque, lighter weight for better handling. add a turbo and it's still being used in a whole bunch of Bimmers today. slap two together, even better winking smiley

oh, and uncorked, they sound ridonkulous!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2020 08:45PM by mrbigstuff.
Date: May 22, 2020 08:58PM
Thrift Store Scott
deckeda
Thrift Store Scott

OHC represented something sophisticated for America, and it came from my favorite brand of the era. And who else in America was doing a higher-output "performance" 6cyl in the time of the V8? What can I say? I like underdogs.
Date: May 22, 2020 10:17PM
deckeda
Thrift Store Scott
deckeda
Thrift Store Scott

OHC represented something sophisticated for America, and it came from my favorite brand of the era. And who else in America was doing a higher-output "performance" 6cyl in the time of the V8? What can I say? I like underdogs.

Fair enough. My only gripe with the OHC 6 is that Pontiac didn't take advantage of the overhead cam by doing a crossflow head as well so that it could have made some real power.

Chrysler offered 4bbl and even dual 4bbl manifolds for their Slant Six early on through their parts department, but as far as I know none were ever installed at the factory.

I'm more of a Catalina 2+2 kind of guy anyway, the '67 models in particular.

Posted by: MacArtist
Date: May 23, 2020 01:05AM
I was completely enamored with the Fiero when the first rumors started. I love Pontiacs and really hoped GM was going to craft a cool and desirable sporting car. In my 20 year old mind, it had the right look (even better with the GT with sloping back of the roof line).

Any work on the power train was going to hurt $$$. But if it was built reliably, that didn’t concern me.

GM went cheap and put Citation quality suspension in the Fiero.

For a while, you could find several sitting as projects driveways.

Now a 4.3L V6 would make a very reliable powerplant for the Fiero. Wouldn’t it be great to have the $$$$ to have someone handcraft a different frame and use top quality suspension components. It would be the dream I was hoping for in 1985.

Wake up Jim. You were having a crazy dream!

Date: May 23, 2020 01:44AM
MacArtist
I was completely enamored with the Fiero when the first rumors started. I love Pontiacs and really hoped GM was going to craft a cool and desirable sporting car. In my 20 year old mind, it had the right look (even better with the GT with sloping back of the roof line).

Any work on the power train was going to hurt $$$. But if it was built reliably, that didn’t concern me.

GM went cheap and put Citation quality suspension in the Fiero.

For a while, you could find several sitting as projects driveways.

Now a 4.3L V6 would make a very reliable powerplant for the Fiero. Wouldn’t it be great to have the $$$$ to have someone handcraft a different frame and use top quality suspension components. It would be the dream I was hoping for in 1985.

Wake up Jim. You were having a crazy dream!

The original 1985 Fieros used the front suspension, drivetrain, and if I'm not mistaken the actual front subframe that connects those things directly from a Citation in the rear and used the front suspension from a Chevette in the front... same part numbers and everything. In '87 or '88 the suspension was revised, the front one at least, and handling improved considerably.

Date: May 23, 2020 12:17PM
Thrift Store Scott
deckeda
Thrift Store Scott
deckeda
Thrift Store Scott

Fair enough. My only gripe with the OHC 6 is that Pontiac didn't take advantage of the overhead cam by doing a crossflow head as well so that it could have made some real power.

Hmm, is it possible to make a crossflow cylinder head with only one cam?
Date: May 23, 2020 01:22PM
mrbigstuff
Thrift Store Scott
deckeda
Thrift Store Scott
deckeda
Thrift Store Scott

Hmm, is it possible to make a crossflow cylinder head with only one cam?

Of course. Almost every Japanese single overhead cam engine I've ever seen has one. The 2.3 liter SOHC Ford 4-cylinder first installed in Pintos then later found in various other Fords has one. Even without overhead cams American V8s have crossflow cylinder heads.

Date: May 23, 2020 01:33PM
Doesn't that necessitate four (or three) valves per cylinder? How does one cam do that?
Date: May 23, 2020 03:10PM
mrbigstuff
Doesn't that necessitate four (or three) valves per cylinder? How does one cam do that?

You might be thinking of a "multi-valve" cylinder head, which has more than one intake and/or exhaust valve per cylinder. A "crossflow" cylinder head simply has the intake ports on one side and the exhaust ports on the other side, thereby making room for larger and/or more optimally shaped ports.

Here's a pretty standard OHC crossflow 4-cylinder head from the exhaust side showing the end of the cam sticking out on the left and all 8 rocker arms that the cam actuates in place-

I used "Mazda" as a search term for that image, but Nissan, Toyota, and Mitsubishi all look pretty much the same as that.

Posted by: JoeH
Date: May 23, 2020 03:17PM
Just requires 2 valves per cylinder, they just need to be on opposite sides so the gases are flowing across and not entering and exiting on the same side of the cylinder. One cam can handle that easily by using rockers, the rockers alternate which side they go to. Twin cams just simplify some of the mechanicals.

TSS mentioned the Ford 2.3 liter engine, the earlier 2.0 liter also was a crossflow design with a single camshaft. It placed the camshaft above followers, every other one was intake, and the rest were for exhaust.
Date: May 23, 2020 03:28PM
JoeH
Just requires 2 valves per cylinder, they just need to be on opposite sides so the gases are flowing across and not entering and exiting on the same side of the cylinder. One cam can handle that easily by using rockers, the rockers alternate which side they go to. Twin cams just simplify some of the mechanicals.

TSS mentioned the Ford 2.3 liter engine, the earlier 2.0 liter also was a crossflow design with a single camshaft. It placed the camshaft above followers, every other one was intake, and the rest were for exhaust.

Yep, the 2.3 liter and 2.0 liter Ford engines are almost visually identical, but everything about the 2.3 liter is larger and the two engines share no parts except possibly the odd nut or bolt. The 2.0 was built in Germany, the 2.3 was built in Lima, Ohio and for a time was referred to as the "Lima" 4-cylinder.

Posted by: JoeH
Date: May 23, 2020 04:04PM
As I recall, the "Lima" 2.3 L also had hydraulic lifters in the valve train, the 2.0 L out of Cologne did not. For the 2.0 L I had to adjust the clearance between the cam and followers with feeler gauges and then tighten the lock nut to hold the setting. Still have the tool needed to get to that nut in one of my toolboxes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2020 04:07PM by JoeH.
Date: May 23, 2020 04:08PM
Thrift Store Scott
mrbigstuff

You might be thinking of a "multi-valve" cylinder head, which has more than one intake and/or exhaust valve per cylinder. A "crossflow" cylinder head simply has the intake ports on one side and the exhaust ports on the other side, thereby making room for larger and/or more optimally shaped ports.

Here's a pretty standard OHC crossflow 4-cylinder head from the exhaust side showing the end of the cam sticking out on the left and all 8 rocker arms that the cam actuates in place-

I used "Mazda" as a search term for that image, but Nissan, Toyota, and Mitsubishi all look pretty much the same as that.

Yeah, what I was really thinking of was a Cosworth type engine with dohc. I thought crossflow had to be dohc, with more than two valves.
Date: May 24, 2020 04:23AM
JoeH
As I recall, the "Lima" 2.3 L also had hydraulic lifters in the valve train, the 2.0 L out of Cologne did not. For the 2.0 L I had to adjust the clearance between the cam and followers with feeler gauges and then tighten the lock nut to hold the setting. Still have the tool needed to get to that nut in one of my toolboxes.

Yes, the 2.0L needed to be adjusted. My old roommates' dad had a '72 Pinto with the 2 liter, the english 4 speed, a little Ford locking rear end and an actual trunk, not a hatchback. That car went through a bunch of clutches and carbs (water actuated choke coil) but everything else went over a third of a million miles.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 24, 2020 06:38PM
I always liked the look of the Vega, never liked anything about the Pinto or Fiero.

Nada.

Well, actually, the '86 Fiero GT coupe look good.

But as it happens I'm in the middle of watching the first episode of this season's (?) Jay Leno's Garage featuring a Fiero in his Somebody Built This segment. That ought to set a tone.

It's an '86 Fiero with somebody kit body on it, supposedly as either an homage or insult to the Ferrari Enzo.

To me, most kit cars are ugly. Very ugly.

This lowers the bar to a subsurface level.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: May 24, 2020 09:52PM
RAMd®d
I always liked the look of the Vega, never liked anything about the Pinto or Fiero.

Nada.

Well, actually, the '86 Fiero GT coupe look good.

But as it happens I'm in the middle of watching the first episode of this season's (?) Jay Leno's Garage featuring a Fiero in his Somebody Built This segment. That ought to set a tone.

It's an '86 Fiero with somebody kit body on it, supposedly as either an homage or insult to the Ferrari Enzo.

To me, most kit cars are ugly. Very ugly.

This lowers the bar to a subsurface level.

Wow. That thing looks like an assemblage of leftover parts from several kit cars, enhanced with a few purchases from the "El Tack-o Grande" section of the J. C. Whitney catalog (What? No swan hood ornament with amber, red, blue, or green plastic wings that can be wired to light up along with the turn signals? They must have missed that page) and a few trips to the local hardware store. Or as Cheech Marin once put it "It looks like he rode through Pep Boys with a magnet".

The problem with most kit cars is that they look like they went straight from the first rough concept sketch to production with zero refinements in between.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 134
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018