advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Another decline - job no longer available
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: May 22, 2020 01:46PM
The past few days have been worse. I had the third interview for one job on Tuesday. An hour before the interview, I received an email from the scheduler asking if I was going to join the interview. So I hopped on but the interviewer was gone. I checked my email and even sent a screenshot showing that they had told me it would be an hour later. The scheduler said it was their mistake - my invite didn't even have the right person listed on it. So they rescheduled, and the interview happened but I got the drift the guy wasn't that interested from the start. There were multiple other mishaps which made it clear that what the recruiter told me wasn't what inline with what the interviewer was expecting.

The next day I got a decline. I think I nailed it from the perspective of what I had been told. They have a policy of not giving feedback, so I don't know what the interviewer actually thought.

Meanwhile, I've spent nearly a month and tons of time on another lead. I had completed the third round with them as well. Today I get a call from the recruiter telling me I did great, the feedback was positive and the team really liked me. I had spent 5-6 hours last week creating a writeup to answer their questions and felt I did a pretty good job at that.

However, leadership has decided that the role can only be filled internally at this time - aka they no longer have the budget to bring a new person on.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Another decline - job no longer available
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 22, 2020 01:56PM
On the bright side, you are getting interviews.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 22, 2020 01:56PM
It's bizarre. I interviewed with a big company a year ago, drove the hour + to give a short presentation, only to find out 2 of the 3 people supposed to be there were not, or were busy, or who cares? Someone humored me with a sit-down interview nevertheless, which I felt went fine.

A week later the presentation was rescheduled, this time online since I'd already driven an hour + the last time. Clean background, nice appearance, notes and phone ready, computer webcam going ... I call into the meeting to give my presentation.

A handful of people were on the call, with no one else sharing video. Mine was on, so I knew some people could see me, which was the point after all. But I had to stare into a blank screen. And I could tell that one or two people had joined the meeting from their phone.

Imagine giving a presentation to a dark room where you couldn't see anyone in there. It was the dumbest experience I've had interviewing, and no they didn't hire me.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: May 22, 2020 02:10PM
That stinks. Hope things go your way soon. Seems inconsiderate for them to waste your time and fill the position internally. This isn't something they could have figured out before making you go through the process?

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 22, 2020 02:11PM
.....one interview where the guy was 30 minutes late.....he started talking about how he needed someone to 'get it done' even despite company rules......talked a lot about himself and his needs.......the entire time I was rolling my eyes in my mind......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 22, 2020 02:46PM
Remember, all you need is one job.
Date: May 22, 2020 02:55PM
pRICE cUBE
That stinks. Hope things go your way soon. Seems inconsiderate for them to waste your time and fill the position internally. This isn't something they could have figured out before making you go through the process?

I guess not. I imagine it was some sort of budget projection issue. Things were looking better before, but now they can't hire.

Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 22, 2020 03:04PM
Keep going, MAVIC. If you're getting inteviews, you WILL get a job.

And FWIW, I got one of the best jobs of my life when I was the second choice-first choice turned them down. I did a great job there, had an amazing time with the work, but it turned out that the org's culture was beyond awful. Stayed there for 7 years, and had an amazing time, when i was dealing with outside rather than inside folks.

Keep going!
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: May 22, 2020 03:17PM
With your skill set, you are going to find a great situation.

Call me wishful thinking, but my life experience has shown that something better always shows up, and I end up grateful that I didn't do the other thing.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Date: May 22, 2020 03:21PM
tuqqer
With your skill set, you are going to find a great situation.

Call me wishful thinking, but my life experience has shown that something better always shows up, and I end up grateful that I didn't do the other thing.

Thanks, you're probably right. Being the sole provider is hard. I can't get unemployment, and I don't know why. At this point, I can't even my phone calls to go through.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 22, 2020 05:12PM
The unemployment benefits system in this country is now broken. It was allowed to atrophy to the point of not being able to adapt to a pandemic. That's the reason why your calls don't go through and why your bank account is draining.

Like everyone has said, keep plugging away and getting those interviews. Many places aren't even interviewing at all right now of course, and the rest barely know what the EFF they are doing. Some of this is the luck of the draw, so don't ever despair about that which you cannot control. It's a numbers game ... play it, and you'll eventually win. I know you will!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2020 05:12PM by deckeda.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 22, 2020 05:40PM
.....have had companies say the job is no longer available and still see it posted on the website for months afterwards......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 22, 2020 06:43PM
NewtonMP2100
.....have had companies say the job is no longer available and still see it posted on the website for months afterwards......

That happened to my former job, I had hired someone, the position was filled, told them to take the posting down, took weeks until they finally did it.
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 22, 2020 06:45PM
The unemployment benefits system in this country is now broken.

yes, I feel frustrated for those people who will lose benefits if they don't go back to work, when they feel unsafe and have medical conditions that makes them very vulnerable. some of them paid all their life into unemployment insurance system and now get screwed up big time.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 22, 2020 06:51PM
Yeah, WA unemployment is borked. My impression is they are spending two days per week trying to weed out the thousands of scammers that signed up for benefits before real people did. Maybe you could get a job working for them.

Condolences on the job search issues. It is really hard for companies to plan with people working from home and short term strategies changing on occasionally a daily basis.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: JoeM
Date: May 22, 2020 06:59PM
I’m really sorry to hear what you’ve been going through. From what I hear, the job employment market is a mess right now and it has been for a while so you just need to keep at it and apply to anything you can. I’m sure you have plenty of places where you can look for leads but just in case you want to take a look here’s one that continually sends me jobs, even though I never contacted them and have been retired for 2 1/2 yrs. It’s [johnsonjobs.com]

While many of the jobs they send me look good, I have never checked into any of them for the reason I mentioned above, so I can’t say if they’ll be useful to you but I hope you find something worthwhile very soon!

JoeM
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 24, 2020 01:39PM
Good luck - you are obviously a highly skilled professional. Finding a match is going to be challenging, but you will get there!
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 24, 2020 02:06PM
NewtonMP2100
.....have had companies say the job is no longer available and still see it posted on the website for months afterwards...

The job I have now:

I had an interview scheduled with this company. It was canceled because they hired someone else. Turned out to be a guy I knew and had worked with in the past. No hard feelings. He was every bit the right man for the job as I was, just my bad luck that he had his interview a few days before mine.

But the posting remained up on their website.

FF to a year later. I was working part-time and barely making ends meet. Sending out resumes pretty regularly. Saw that the posting was still up and sent in another resume... which was ignored.

I decided to give them a call, spoke to their veep and asked whether they were actually hiring. They were fully-staffed, but he was intrigued enough to bring me in for an interview anyway.

A week later, I had a new job.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2020 02:07PM by Sarcany.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 161
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018