advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Plumbing repair failure ... lie to me and say I don't have to cut it out and re-do, please
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 22, 2020 02:01PM
So annoying. It fails under pressure.

This is a PVC pipe headed out the wall to a tap at the edge of the porch for the yard hose. It's fed by a PCVC supply line with shutoff. All of the PCVC connections are sound, even the elbow-to-PVC connection. But where the outside pipe connects to the adapter it leaks under pressure, about a drop every 15 or so seconds.

Naturally, it didn't leak at all last summer when I made the connection and tested it. We've had it turned off all winter from the basement. So for now I told the wife we'd turn if off from the basement when not in use.

What are my chances of success cementing the outside pipe at that leak? Remember my subject line, lies are welcome. I'd have to cut it all out anyway if it didn't work.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Plumbing repair failure ... lie to me and say I don't have to cut it out and re-do, please
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 22, 2020 02:04PM
In a situation like that, I have been known to use an epoxy wrap like this, to avoid a much bigger job.

It's a little ugly and not ideal, but it usually stops the leak.
Re: Plumbing repair failure ... lie to me and say I don't have to cut it out and re-do, please
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 22, 2020 02:05PM
Is the leak from the solvent joint or the screw thread joint ? If you can get it nice and dry, AND introduce heat from a heat gun into the mix, you may be able to convince solvent to 'sweat' into the joint. Yeah, weird, but it's worth a shot. Capillary flow and all that. Or pull a vacuum on the water line ?

Yeah, I'm just tossing out random ideas...
Posted by: JoeH
Date: May 22, 2020 02:13PM
Just about zero chance of it working.

You need a clean bonding surface the depth of the connection to seal reliably. Sounds like it was not clean enough or the glue wasn't spread well enough and the connection twisted to ensure full spread in the joint. So you have a small area that water can seep through under pressure. Just putting some cement at the end won't be enough to seal it.

At least it looks like you have enough pipe left outside the wall to cut off the adapter and redo the connection.
Posted by: Microman
Date: May 22, 2020 02:30PM
Redo the complete 90 degree. Cut at the 90 degree from the wall, so you will have a clean pipe coming out. Clean with that purple stuff, or emory paper on outside.

ITs like an erector set.... just go to store with picture you have and ask plumbing person how can I fix this.... Two cuts, and parts and you will be back in business.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 22, 2020 02:39PM
At least it looks like you have enough pipe left outside the wall to cut off the adapter and redo the connection.

and

Redo the complete 90 degree.

Agreed.

Cut the pipe at the joints of the elbow.

Use the purple primer.

Lots, and let it dry.

Goop up the outside and inside of all the elbow bits.

This is really an easy job.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 22, 2020 02:42PM
That looks easy. Don't screw around and halfass it.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: May 22, 2020 02:43PM
pdq
In a situation like that, I have been known to use an epoxy wrap like this, to avoid a much bigger job.

I’ve used that with success on copper pipe. I’ve not tried it with PVC, but, unless the package specifically advises against PVC, it’s a great, easy-to-do option.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 22, 2020 02:47PM
I'd put add a sharkbite adapter inline if you do need to cut it out. That allows you to disconnect the pipes to repair what needs to be repaired the next time without actually cutting anything.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 22, 2020 02:54PM
What about using galvanized pipe and parts where you can?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2020 02:55PM by Dennis S.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 22, 2020 03:01PM
What about silicone caulk where the leak is coming out? I mean, they use that stuff to build aquariums....
Date: May 22, 2020 03:07PM
Most of you didn't lie, as requested. So hard to find good help anymore.

pdq

For $10 I might gamble on that. Would save time and money if it works. No one cares what it looks like.

cbelt3
Is the leak from the solvent joint or the screw thread joint ?...

Nothing is threaded there. All cemented.

JoeH

... At least it looks like you have enough pipe left outside the wall to cut off the adapter and redo the connection.

The piece coming in from the outside is like 10 ft long because it goes under the porch to the edge. Yes, I think I could sacrifice 2-3 inches and reuse that and not have to reach under the porch too much.

But wait. Are you saying I can cut through the connection just enough not to harm the elbow, break off the adapter after cutting it all up to pieces, dissolve the glue there and then reuse the elbow?? If I have to replace the elbow I have to also lengthen the vertical supply line. I got away from having to do that the "first time," because whoever set it up initially left the vertical line just a little too long.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: May 22, 2020 03:29PM
No, cut off the adapter and throw it away. Solvent glued connections can not be reused. You will need to get new parts, at least an elbow and another adapter.

What I am saying is that there is enough pipe sticking out of the wall that you still have enough to work with and not have to replace that run back to where it connects inside. You will probably need to use a coupler and add a short piece of pipe to line things up with the veritical section of pipe.

Your mention of the vertical line being a bit too long may explain why the elbow looks slight cocked on the horizontal pipe, that may have led to you joint not setting up right and leaking now. Everything should be set to line up without something "too long".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2020 04:52PM by JoeH.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: May 22, 2020 04:07PM
In addition to any repairs you end up trying, you still have the issue that likely caused the failure in the first place. Even though you have a shutoff inside, you still have water sitting in that pipe all winter that will freeze. To fix this, you need to figure out a way to drain the pipe past the shutoff. Assuming you have basement access to this pipe, there are a number of ways to accomplish this and make it so you can drain it each fall.
Date: May 22, 2020 05:01PM
ztirffritz
I'd put add a sharkbite adapter inline if you do need to cut it out. That allows you to disconnect the pipes to repair what needs to be repaired the next time without actually cutting anything.

That's a good idea. Everything in the house today is CPVC and would have to be cutout for repairs. We had to do that to replace the hot water heater.

It's dumb. I've got a connection at one of the sinks where the line comes up from the floor. Had that one side of the faucet turned off for a long time because of a leak there. We've since looked at it again and there's "no leak." The wife hates it when I tell her something has fixed itself.

anonymouse1
What about silicone caulk where the leak is coming out? I mean, they use that stuff to build aquariums....

The slow drip does imply low pressure, so that might work but I'm doubtful. All it would take is one movement of the pipes to break away that cover of silicone perhaps. I just picked up some fiberglas wrap similar to what's posted above. I gather that you impregnate the wrap with the supplied goop and it becomes a cement blob around the leak. Less than $6.

BernDog
In addition to any repairs you end up trying, you still have the issue that likely caused the failure in the first place. Even though you have a shutoff inside, you still have water sitting in that pipe all winter that will freeze. To fix this, you need to figure out a way to drain the pipe past the shutoff. Assuming you have basement access to this pipe, there are a number of ways to accomplish this and make it so you can drain it each fall.

Dude!

When I re-did this outside spigot I did just that! From the existing hole in the wall, I have a slight but constant downward slope on the outside pipe, supported at a few places along the way with hangers that get progressively longer. The resulting spigot is several inches lower than the "convenient" level of the porch, but I can turn it off inside and by the time I go outside all the water has left the pipe.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 22, 2020 05:34PM
No worries, man, you don't have to cut it out and re-do.

NOTE: Author assumes no liability for the veracity of this statement.

It is what it is.
Date: May 22, 2020 05:38PM
N-OS X-tasy!

Didn't quite catch the rest of what you said but THANKS!!!!
Posted by: Z
Date: May 22, 2020 06:19PM
deckeda
N-OS X-tasy!

Didn't quite catch the rest of what you said but THANKS!!!!

Posted by: davester
Date: May 22, 2020 11:51PM
What JoeH and Microman said. Cut out the whole joint and redo it. Working with PVC is soooooo easy that there's no excuse not to do it properly. Everything at my house is either copper or rusty galvanized which is infinitely more difficult to deal with.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: fauch
Date: May 25, 2020 05:41PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2020 05:42PM by fauch.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 227
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018