advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Why is it that you never saw anyone smoke on an episode of Star Trek?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 23, 2020 12:13AM
It was exceptionally common to see people smoking in 60's TV shows and movies.

Wasn't Roddenberry a smoker?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Why is it that you never saw anyone smoke on an episode of Star Trek?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 23, 2020 12:18AM
.....no vices in future.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 23, 2020 12:20AM
Because they evolved.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 23, 2020 01:30AM
NewtonMP2100

Good Lord No! Everyone was drinking in Star Trek TOS.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Rolando
Date: May 23, 2020 01:46AM
But they still Drank! Because Roddenberry was wise!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: May 23, 2020 01:56AM
Paladin smoked in Have Gun Will Travel, if I recall correctly. Paladin was known for quoting from the Roman philosopher Erodius. Roddenberry told the story of how he came to make up that philosopher when he was interviewed at the L.A. County Museum of Art back in the last century, as I recall. He had trouble working with Harlan Ellison, was another part of that story. His remark to the audience was "Give me a script I can shoot." Apparently Harlan wasn't real sympathetic about budgetary constraints in what was, after all, a low budget show.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 23, 2020 03:20AM
In those days, there were literally no high budget TV shows - production money was aimed at theatrical releases.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: May 23, 2020 08:14AM
IMO, the show was so visionary, personal computers, tablets, communicators (cell phones), the Tri-Coder is similar to the no touch Forehead thermometers out now. I think he felt that smoking would be out of vogue so why use it. I have always been amazed at the eerie accuracy of the tech future from Star Trek.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 23, 2020 08:23AM
freeradical
Why is it that you never saw anyone smoke on an episode of Star Trek

You did actually, but it was usually just before they blew up.
Date: May 23, 2020 08:51AM
Racer X
NewtonMP2100

.......didn't they drink synthahol......???

Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 23, 2020 09:17AM
And sometimes the real thing. Scotty always had a bottle of something.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 23, 2020 09:24AM
NewtonMP2100
Racer X
NewtonMP2100

In Next-Gen and subsequently. They nevertheless broke the rules to drink alcohol pretty frequently.

...There is smoking in Trek. But:
[memory-alpha.fandom.com]

During the making of Star Trek: The Original Series, Gene Roddenberry and others associated with the production fought NBC and Desilu so that cigarettes were omitted from the series. "Even with the heaviest smokers, including myself, I fought for it," Roddenberry recalled. "In the end, it paid off for everyone; I think everyone now agrees that the original episodes would not be rerunning so successful if we had yielded to advertising pressure and put a 'twenty-third century cigarette' into the mouth of Kirk and others."

Date: May 23, 2020 09:43AM
....because.......Smoke Gets In.......Your........Eyes......???

Posted by: JoeH
Date: May 23, 2020 10:48AM
Sarcany
NewtonMP2100
Racer X
NewtonMP2100

In Next-Gen and subsequently. They nevertheless broke the rules to drink alcohol pretty frequently.

...There is smoking in Trek. But:
[memory-alpha.fandom.com]

During the making of Star Trek: The Original Series, Gene Roddenberry and others associated with the production fought NBC and Desilu so that cigarettes were omitted from the series. "Even with the heaviest smokers, including myself, I fought for it," Roddenberry recalled. "In the end, it paid off for everyone; I think everyone now agrees that the original episodes would not be rerunning so successful if we had yielded to advertising pressure and put a 'twenty-third century cigarette' into the mouth of Kirk and others."

The Surgeon General's report on smoking had been released in 1964, so it would have part of societal background as the series was being developed. The back and forth between those who wanted to ban or restrict smoking and those who wanted things to continue the status quo was an ongoing thing in the news, legislation, and elsewhere.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: May 23, 2020 10:56AM
DinerDave
IMO, the show was so visionary, personal computers, tablets, communicators (cell phones), the Tri-Coder is similar to the no touch Forehead thermometers out now. I think he felt that smoking would be out of vogue so why use it. I have always been amazed at the eerie accuracy of the tech future from Star Trek.

Dave

Don't forget the giant widescreen video display
(now de rigueur in pretty much every middle-class household)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2020 10:57AM by SDGuy.
Posted by: hal
Date: May 23, 2020 11:46AM
My grandfather was a bigtime tobacco exec and he was convinced that the Surgeon General's report and warning labels was the beginning of the end for tobacco.
Date: May 23, 2020 01:45PM
hal
My grandfather was a bigtime tobacco exec and he was convinced that the Surgeon General's report and warning labels was the beginning of the end for tobacco.

Well, 56 years later and experience has been mixed. Smoking in the US may be down overall, but from what I have seen the ones who smoke go through more packs each than most I saw smoking 40-50 years ago. But the US tobacco companies have managed to sell a lot to overseas customers.

On a local note, here in the Connecticut River valley of W. MA, tobacco used to be a big cash crop. Farms were still growing it extensively into the '90s and early 2000s. Some farms specialized in shade tobacco for cigar wrapper, but others just grew for filler tobacco. Now there may be a few farms growing, but the market is mostly gone for the varieties grown here. The shade tobacco growers sometimes skip years, enough stock carries over. Lots of unused and sometimes decaying tobacco barns around the area.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2020 01:46PM by JoeH.
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 23, 2020 02:12PM
Because that far in the future, all people realize that smoking is a filthy disgusting habit practiced only by ignorant, inconsiderate people?
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: May 23, 2020 04:05PM
Wasn't there a joking reference to smoking in a time travel episode? Pretty sure it was DS9, and the Ferengi were involved. They traveled back to early 50s or late 40s Earth, and were bewildered by the strange smoking habits of pretty much everyone. Or something like that. Hope someone else recalls this better! Old Fogette
Date: May 23, 2020 04:10PM
It is mentioned in the memory-alpha link Sarcany posted. There are other places where smoking showed up in the later series and movies.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: May 23, 2020 04:15PM
JoeH
It is mentioned in the memory-alpha link Sarcany posted.

Thanks — "Little Green Men" was the title!

After traveling back in time to Earth in July 1947, Quark, Rom, and Nog were baffled that Humans of the time would inhale poison in this way. Quark was especially excited, stating that if Humans bought poison, they'd buy anything. (DS9: "Little Green Men") [memory-alpha.fandom.com]
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 23, 2020 05:47PM
JoeH
hal

Well, 56 years later and experience has been mixed. Smoking in the US may be down overall, but from what I have seen the ones who smoke go through more packs each than most I saw smoking 40-50 years ago. But the US tobacco companies have managed to sell a lot to overseas customers.

On a local note, here in the Connecticut River valley of W. MA, tobacco used to be a big cash crop. Farms were still growing it extensively into the '90s and early 2000s. Some farms specialized in shade tobacco for cigar wrapper, but others just grew for filler tobacco. Now there may be a few farms growing, but the market is mostly gone for the varieties grown here. The shade tobacco growers sometimes skip years, enough stock carries over. Lots of unused and sometimes decaying tobacco barns around the area.

Smoking is still the number one source of preventable deaths and excess health care costs in the US. We ARE slowly reducing the rate, but it's still above 10% of the population. Meanwhile, Big Tobacco has done two things - exported their poisonous products AND purchased eCigarettes.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 23, 2020 07:50PM
The forum has been infiltrated by a group of wild-eyed Trekkies; next you know they'll be swapping info on upcoming Trek events and swapping insults with Star Wars groupies.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 23, 2020 08:26PM
RgrF
The forum has been infiltrated by a group of wild-eyed Trekkies; next you know they'll be swapping info on upcoming Trek events and swapping insults with Star Wars groupies.

That's Trekkers. Double-dumb @ss on you! grinning smiley

[www.cdc.gov]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: fauch
Date: May 25, 2020 05:31PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2020 05:32PM by fauch.
Posted by: fauch
Date: May 25, 2020 05:34PM
The Orville to the rescue!!!

[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 138
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018