advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Amazon getting slower and slower
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 23, 2020 09:17AM
I ordered a Klein Scout Pro 2 cable tester on Wednesday (20th), I swear it said it will arrive on Saturday (23) when I was looking at it. Placed the order, it will arrive on Sunday (24). Fine, I can wait one day longer.

Now I see it will arrive on Wednesday (27). I go back and check email, yes, it was supposed to arrive on Sunday. They just shipped Today (Saturday).

All this is with "Prime".

I understand the issue with Pandemics, I can wait. But please tell me upfront Wednesday (27), not Saturday on Product page and then Sunday after I placed the order.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Amazon getting slower and slower
Posted by: modelamac
Date: May 23, 2020 09:28AM
I gave up on Amazon over 5 years ago when they repeatedly would tell me one arrival date before the order and a later arrival date after making the order, and having the package arrive later than that. I will now avoid Amazon as much as possible, to the point of paying more if necessary.

Told my wife I wanted to be cremated.
She made me an appointment for Tuesday.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 23, 2020 09:33AM
....I want a man with a.....slow....hand.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: graylocks
Date: May 23, 2020 09:47AM
probably depends on what you order. i find a few orders showing up a day sooner than promised. thursday i ordered an iphone tripod holder that wasn’t due to arrive until May 31st. got an email last night that it will be delivered tomorrow.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Gareth
Date: May 23, 2020 09:50AM
I placed and order and opted for the “less boxes” and 1 day later (Friday) instead of getting some items on Thursday. Everything showed up on Thursday in 3 boxes.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: May 23, 2020 10:06AM
I wonder if it has to do with population centers. I live in a small (to mid-size at best) metropolitan area. Never seem to have issues with Amazon deliveries.
Date: May 23, 2020 10:15AM
Carnos Jax
I wonder if it has to do with population centers. I live in a small (to mid-size at best) metropolitan area. Never seem to have issues with Amazon deliveries.

I am in central NJ and I have at least 3 Amazon warehouses very close, 11 miles, 18 miles and 24 miles. There could be others that I am not aware of.
Posted by: d4
Date: May 23, 2020 10:18AM
When you pay the annual fee for Prime you are pre-paying for 2-day delivery.
If you don't get the 2-day delivery you paid for, Bezos is bending you over with a smile.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2020 10:22AM by d4.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 23, 2020 10:32AM
Space,

Hate to say, this isn't really the time to complain about delayed deliveries. Prior to the pandemic, sure. Now? Definitely have to give every vendor more leeway when it comes to shipping and delivery delays.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2020 10:32AM by Robert M.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: May 23, 2020 10:32AM
space-time
Carnos Jax

I am in central NJ and I have at least 3 Amazon warehouses very close, 11 miles, 18 miles and 24 miles. There could be others that I am not aware of.

Still and all, you're in a large to megacity region, and an exponential number of people are now ordering online for delivery. Carnos Jax is in the same small metro region; even with increased sales, it's not a major area to serve.

It also depends pretty directly on what you're trying to get and what their inventory stream is doing. Some things are out of stock or delayed b'c of the situation. Some are already in the warehouse and ready to ship. Some are ready but there's not enough delivery people due to either short staff, or regular staff with double to triple digit increase in sales in your area.

I've had several things marked as unavailable and "we're not sure when this will be back in stock". Other things noted as not being deliverable for a month. And still others marked as delayed by a month but suddenly I get a notice that it's delivering the next day.

BTW, it's spelled y'all

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2020 10:33AM by Zoidberg.
Date: May 23, 2020 10:34AM
....could you be in a time vortex.....where time slows down.....???

Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: May 23, 2020 10:59AM
space-time
I am in central NJ and I have at least 3 Amazon warehouses very close, 11 miles,
18 miles and 24 miles. There could be others that I am not aware of.

I think their logistics system got turned upside down trying to prioritize 'critical'
items. Stuff like cable testers, flash drives, etc. aren't being widely distributed as the
priority items; TP, disinfectants, etc.

And, it makes no sense. I ordered $6 2.5 SSD to 3.5 brackets & got them in one day
but on the same order water filter carts took a week and traveled cross-country.
The carts were supposed to be 2-Day delivery to boot!
dunno smiley

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Date: May 23, 2020 11:10AM
Robert M
Space,

Hate to say, this isn't really the time to complain about delayed deliveries. Prior to the pandemic, sure. Now? Definitely have to give every vendor more leeway when it comes to shipping and delivery delays.

Robert

Understood and I did point this out in the original post. I remember in late March they said non essential items will arrive on April 22. OK with that.

now if I order something and they tell me it arrives July 15, I am OK with that.

What I am not OK is to send email confirmation that it arrives on a certain date and then shipping confirmation that shows a delivery date 3 days later than originally planned. No explanation for the delay. in many case I could probably not even notice.

I will cancel this order and pick it up curbide at home depot for the same price, and in fact I will get the newer version.
Date: May 23, 2020 12:58PM
Space,

Gotta disagree. You need to be more understanding of the situation. The issues caused by the pandemic take precedence over any shipping estimates provided by Amazon (and other vendors). It is the nature of the situation and in all too many cases, you won't be provided an explanation for the delay.

Robert
Posted by: John B.
Date: May 23, 2020 01:01PM
Last summer, during pre-Covid “normal times,” Amazon had about a 60% failure rate on meeting their quoted delivery dates on my Prime-eligible orders. Volume-wise, call it 10 orders over a 2 month period. I was traveling for work and was ordering for delivery on specific days I would be home (typically Fridays-Sundays), so that I wouldn’t be leaving a treat for porch pirates while I was gone during the week. During that time I ordered with a 2-day delivery window during those times, as well as more than 2 days lead time using an Amazon Day on Fridays.

End result was almost always the same. Shipping status in the morning would show that it was on the vehicle for delivery, and around 8PM local time the status would flip to “whoops, we’re not going to make it today, your delivery is now rescheduled for sometime in the next 2-3 days.” I live dead-center in the middle of a major Midwest metropolitan area, it’s not like the truck wasn’t making it because the gravel road was washed out that day.

After having to reschedule a few of these, I had an exchange with Amazon customer service, inquiring about why this was continually happening. I was basically looking for a “thanks for bringing this to our attention, we’ve talked to the local distribution center and they’ve adjusted their route planning/coached the driver on delivery times/etc.” Instead what I got was a bunch of rambling responses about how delivery times were approximate advisories, and maybe my payment method was delaying the order (it was an Amazon Prime-branded VISA tied to my Amazon account), and there was really nothing else they could do for me. So that was how I cancelled my Prime account.

As I said, I live in a major metro. Other companies have upped their delivery game, even pre-Covid. Best Buy will have it at the counter in an hour if it’s in the store, or free 2-day delivery if it has to come from a distribution center. Target gives free delivery on pretty much anything when paid with their RedCard. Even Home Depot is getting better. Plus all of those stores are within 5-10 minutes of me.

So I’ll still shop Amazon for stuff that isn’t in stock locally, and delivery is convenient in the age of restricted store hours/access, but it feels like they’ve rested in their laurels a bit for Prime customers when it comes to delivery service levels.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 23, 2020 01:19PM
I think space-time is being mostly reasonable. At this point I would expect Bez-azon to be extra careful about projecting delivery dates. I stopped using them almost two years ago when they totally screwed up an order. For me they are in the category of Walmart*, I only order from therm when it is something I absolutely can not get locally from another retailer. I don't care if an order is going to take longer to show up, just give me a decent estimate on when it is going to arrive. If an affiliate is having staffing problems, they should have the ability to easily push back shipping dates.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: May 23, 2020 01:20PM
.....we all get slower........with age.....

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 23, 2020 01:28PM
I thought since the pandemic, it depended on how "essential" they deemed the items to be.
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 23, 2020 02:09PM
The masks I ordered ~ a month ago are being shipped from Wuhan, China smiley-shocked003

Other than that screw up, MOST things I’ve ordered from Amazon in the last two+ months have been significantly delayed.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 23, 2020 02:16PM
keep in mind that prime is two-day shipping - shipping does not occur until it leaves the warehouse.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Date: May 23, 2020 02:22PM
testcase
The masks I ordered ~ a month ago are being shipped from Wuhan, China smiley-shocked003

I am jealous. You get the original virus, we get some mutated copies.
Date: May 23, 2020 02:24PM
Robert M
Space,

Gotta disagree. You need to be more understanding of the situation. The issues caused by the pandemic take precedence over any shipping estimates provided by Amazon (and other vendors). It is the nature of the situation and in all too many cases, you won't be provided an explanation for the delay.

Robert

no problem. I respect your opinion. How is Baby M BTW?
Date: May 23, 2020 02:27PM
Ombligo,

I'll take it a step further. Can't speak for Amazon's own delivery service but for UPS and Fedex, the clock doesn't start ticking until the package is actually handed to the carrier for transport to its destination and time in transit is based on business days and doesn't include weekends. A package handed to UPS for two day shipping (be it air or ground) on a Friday won't get delivered until Tuesday. That doesn't mean UPS or Fedex may deliver sooner. It does happen occasionally, even now, during the pandemic.

Robert
Posted by: Gareth
Date: May 23, 2020 03:41PM
testcase

You've probably got a 2 month wait from time of shipping! Any residual virus will be long dead by the time you get it! I recently got the first of my pandemic China orders this week. It took almost 2 months. Still waiting on 2 more orders that are also over a month at this point.
Date: May 23, 2020 05:45PM
... and time in transit is based on business days and doesn't include weekends.

understood, but UPS started delivers on Saturdays. I think I saw that in the news about a year ago, and now I frequently see UPS trucks in my area on Saturdays. So it Saturday a weekend day for them or not?
Posted by: Bernie
Date: May 23, 2020 05:54PM
This could be the year I drop PRIME.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 23, 2020 07:23PM
Robert M
Space,

Robert

They are WAAYYYYY slower than they were pre-pandemic. But it is the pandemic, not amazon slipping. Prime stuff doesn't even ship for 3-5 days now. Once it gets out of the warehouse it is quick still.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: May 23, 2020 08:19PM
C(-)ris,

Actually... I’m still getting most amazon purchases within two days and I’m in pandemic central. New tungsten carbide ring? 2 days. Replacement filters for two air purifiers? 2 days. Nonetheless, knowing the situation, I’m giving most places the benefit of the doubt as long as they keep the communication stream open. All bets are off when a company doesn’t provide updates and/or respond to inquiries.

Robert
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 23, 2020 08:54PM
I've placed nearly a dozen orders to AMZ in the last two months.

In this spate, I've got them when AMZ said I would, and the delivery date hasn't been extended for any of them, with two exceptions arriving one day earlier than previously stated.

Twice, befor that, they sent an email saying the lockers would be unavailable for 24hrs and my delivery times were extended one day.

I let it slide.

Most of the delivery times have been longer than normal, but they weren't essential to me, and arrived on time, as it were, so I'm ok with it.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 272
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018