advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
volt owners - advice on restoring lost battery life?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 23, 2020 11:52AM
My father has an 8 year old chevy volt that is only getting 26 miles a charge. What would it take to get it back to its original capabilities?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: volt owners - advice on restoring lost battery life?
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 23, 2020 12:45PM
A new battery. Maybe some different tires inflated to 40psi or higher. I believe 2012s only offer 32-34miles of range. What are of the country?

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2020 12:46PM by ztirffritz.
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 23, 2020 12:53PM
How far does he drive between charges? even with 26 he should still have a lot of gas.

I have 2014 model, bought in late 2017 with 9500 miles on it when I got it, and I still get 35 in the Summer but it drops to 25 in the Winter. We have about 26k miles on it now.

I just bought a house and I no longer have to deal with extension cords over sidewalk at my townhouses, I already installed the Level 1 charged in the garage on the wall, but I am considering getting a level 2. I just need to figure how how much it would cost to upgrade the wiring.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: May 23, 2020 12:59PM
mattkime
My father has an 8 year old chevy volt that is only getting 26 miles a charge. What would it take to get it back to its original capabilities?

we'd need more information. Exactly what year is it? How many miles? And that gauge is not called a guessometer for nothing. it's the computer's best estimate of what the range will be given the weather, the terrain, and the driving techniques of the last few trips the Volt took.

What's the temperature been like where your dad lives? where does he drive - city, highway, traffic, inclines? How far are the trips in average? Is he heavy on the pedal or a moderate, conservative driver? All of those things go into the range the guessometer shows you.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2020 01:00PM by graylocks.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 23, 2020 01:01PM
....the circle.....of......life....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 23, 2020 08:50PM
graylocks
mattkime

we'd need more information. Exactly what year is it? How many miles? And that gauge is not called a guessometer for nothing. it's the computer's best estimate of what the range will be given the weather, the terrain, and the driving techniques of the last few trips the Volt took.

What's the temperature been like where your dad lives? where does he drive - city, highway, traffic, inclines? How far are the trips in average? Is he heavy on the pedal or a moderate, conservative driver? All of those things go into the range the guessometer shows you.

This^

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 23, 2020 09:27PM
guessometer

That made me laugh.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 23, 2020 11:02PM
Original volt did not have such great EV range. 26 may be close to 75-80% of normal.
Date: May 23, 2020 11:22PM
sekker
Original volt did not have such great EV range. 26 may be close to 75-80% of normal.

we still don’t know the year or mileage. Volts generally are not know to degrade much, if at all.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: May 24, 2020 11:41AM
graylocks
sekker

we still don’t know the year or mileage. Volts generally are not know to degrade much, if at all.

OP says 8 year old Volt. That came with an EPA 35 range. Depending on weather, that might easily be 30. Our newer Volt gets only 42 mile EVonly range in MN winter.

There are reports of stable batteries, which is great. But losing a few cells will still reduce range.
Date: May 24, 2020 12:12PM
sekker
graylocks
sekker

OP says 8 year old Volt. That came with an EPA 35 range. Depending on weather, that might easily be 30. Our newer Volt gets only 42 mile EVonly range in MN winter.

There are reports of stable batteries, which is great. But losing a few cells will still reduce range.

depending on when purchased an 8 year old Volt could be a 2013. 2012/2013 were EPA 36 but i can reliably get about 40 if i don’t use some features. for instance, if i turn the AC on Comfort i’m definitely going to find my self at 26 on a full charge. that’s why examining how the Volt is operated is more critical than first thinking bad cells.

Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 24, 2020 06:38PM
My father is the original owner of the car. Most of the questions seem geared toward "its fine, its always been like that" but I believe him when he says he's getting less distance on the battery.

Update - about 67k on the car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2020 08:07PM by mattkime.
Date: May 24, 2020 10:53PM
mattkime
My father is the original owner of the car. Most of the questions seem geared toward "its fine, its always been like that" but I believe him when he says he's getting less distance on the battery.

Update - about 67k on the car.

Sounds like it's time for a visit to the dealer to see what they can offer. There might be software updates, etc., if he only drives it less than 10k miles/year.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 236
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018