advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Droning on and on and on
Posted by: saintyohann
Date: May 23, 2020 02:30PM
I bought a Mavic Mini in October as a Christmas present to myself. And due to a lack of research I my part found out I couldn't fly it where I live. The drone has GPS and I live within the 7-mile exclusion zone around Disneyland. I've taken it up a few times for test flights, but it's been collecting dust mostly.

But now that restrictions are easing a bit, I took it to the desert east-north-east of LA and shot some footage of the desert flowers and trains. Just thought I'd share:

Cajon
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Droning on and on and on
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: May 23, 2020 02:38PM
Really cool!!
I now I’ll end up getting one of them drones...
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 23, 2020 03:05PM
Nice.

I almost got stuck in a huge snowstorm on the Cajon pass driving to Flagstaff from LA 25 years ago. Sliverwood lake isnt far, good singletrail mountain biking along the shore.

Used to be an awesome greasy spoon @ 15 and 138, think its long gone... used to eat there when heading to the desert to ride motorcycles.

138 is a cool drive from there... right up the San Andeas Fault... where rocks on the left are different from rocks on the right. Hook up to 14 and drone the Vasquez Rocks.

[www.youtube.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: May 23, 2020 04:42PM
I'm going to be a grouch, sorry.

The film looked wonderful but then I love railways and despite the footage being of powerful locos pulling long trains it was mostly very gentle and peaceful...

...except for those transitions which jarred my senses. I'm sure many love them but my thought has been for years that just because you can do it doesn't mean to say you should do it.

In between the transitions the footage was great and I am very jealous of your drone and where you shot the film.

Grumpy Paul from the UK

Date: May 23, 2020 04:51PM
I usually use a 1-second cross-dissolve for a transition, but iMovie was not rendering it correctly. So I did the slide overs for now. These clips were all 1080P that I pulled over WIFI, as soon as I can find my card reader, I’ll pull the 2.7k clips and re-render the whole thing.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: May 23, 2020 04:56PM
saintyohann
I usually use a 1-second cross-dissolve for a transition, but iMovie was not rendering it correctly. So I did the slide overs for now. These clips were all 1080P that I pulled over WIFI, as soon as I can find my card reader, I’ll pull the 2.7k clips and re-render the whole thing.

With that footage I would use half to one second dissolve as it would keep the gentle flow going. I would love to see more.

Have fun.

Paul

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: May 23, 2020 05:50PM
Neato video! thumbs up

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
O-M-F-G!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 23, 2020 09:19PM
A YouTube video without thrash-megadetsh industrial trance house music!

A really nice musical sound track, that was!

And trains!

I really enjoyed that video.

How far did you fly the drone from you?

How much time before bingo fuel?

Does the Mini RTB automatically, tell you it's bingo, or do you just have to watch the battery level yourself?

Details, man, DETAILS!

Yes, the transitions weren't up to the rest of the video, but I ignored it.

I'm looking forward to the Editor's version.

I don't think I've ever seen 4K or even 2.7K on YouTube.

I'd download the videos so I could watch them with VLC, but I only get 1080 for the downloads.

This really has me wanting to do my bit stimulating the economy with a MAVIC AIR 2.

And a strip of Brother p-Touch tape.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Re: O-M-F-G!
Date: May 23, 2020 09:55PM
RAMd®d
How far did you fly the drone from you?
How much time before bingo fuel?
Does the Mini RTB automatically, tell you it's bingo, or do you just have to watch the battery level yourself?
And a strip of Brother p-Touch tape.

I've gone about 1/4 mile away. You can go further, but you're supposed to keep line of sight at all times.

The Mini is supposed to get about 30-minutes per battery, I usually get 22-25 depending on speed and wind.

The mini will return to the home point where you took off or a new spot you can mark during the flight. It will return automatically if it loses signal for too long, but I don't think it does for a low battery.

The blessing of the Mini is that it weighs 249g, adding any stickers would up the weight and possibly make it illegal to fly in certain areas or require FAA registration or training.
Date: May 24, 2020 10:54PM
And as promised, better quality:
[youtu.be]
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 25, 2020 12:30PM
That is a gorgeous video.

The transitions feel a little abrupt, though.

I know, everybody's a critic.

But that video is really pleasant, like watching fish in an aquarium.

Thank you for that.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Wags
Date: May 25, 2020 06:55PM
Really nice image quality, and what a gorgeous clear day for shooting. I feel like the audio is a bit overdriven this time around. Could back it off a tad and maybe apply some compression? Makes me want to get a drone! Are they easier to fly nowadays?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 246
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018