advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Do TIAs show up on brain MRIs?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 24, 2020 01:06PM
I had a spell a few years ago where I looked at a map and a highway I've been on hundreds of times looked like I had never seen it. I had a MRI last year that was normal. Yesterday, I tried to say the word "liaison" and it wouldn't come out right.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Do TIAs show up on brain MRIs?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 24, 2020 01:12PM
Some do, some don't.

Did they use contrast/dye?

Posted by: pdq
Date: May 24, 2020 01:14PM
Generally not.

MRIs may/will detect strokes, if they're big enough. My impression is that for TIAs, this is more of a checklist item of things-ya-gotta-order for the docs.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 24, 2020 01:17PM
Sarcany
Some do, some don't.

I think so, but I'm not 100% sure.
Date: May 24, 2020 01:25PM
Dennis S
Sarcany
Some do, some don't.

I think so, but I'm not 100% sure.

Unless there's obvious scarring or large obstructed vessels, they may not detect it in a regular MRI. They use dyes to show blood-flow when they're looking for signs of a stroke.

They may also use a CT scan with dye to look for occlusions.

Posted by: Spiff
Date: May 24, 2020 01:56PM
No. By very definition, TIA, Transient ischemic attack, is there and it’s gone within 24 hours. It leaves no trace. If there is an abnormality found on MRI acutely, Then it is a stroke.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: May 24, 2020 02:04PM
TIA is a temporary restriction or obstruction of blood flow that does not last long enough to cause permanent damage, unlike a stroke. An MRI of the brain will not show signs of an acute stroke.

A TIA can be a sign of an upcoming stroke - PLEASE DISCUSS THE SYMPTOM YOU HAD WITH YOUR DOCTOR ASAP!
Date: May 24, 2020 02:17PM
S. Pupp
TIA is a temporary restriction or obstruction of blood flow that does not last long enough to cause permanent damage, unlike a stroke...

The symptoms are brief. The damage is often permanent and cumulative.

One of the differentials for TIA is that they can't see signs of the stroke they're looking for when imaged immediately following the stroke, but they often can see signs of strokes from the past when imaged.

My dad had a series of TIAs and the cumulative damage was very bad. Didn't show up in a CT or MRI initially, but eventually scarring did show up as the damage mounted.

Date: May 24, 2020 02:26PM
Sarcany
S. Pupp
TIA is a temporary restriction or obstruction of blood flow that does not last long enough to cause permanent damage, unlike a stroke...

One of the differentials for TIA is that they can't see signs of the stroke they're looking for when imaged immediately following the stroke, but they often can see signs of strokes from the past when imaged.

My dad had a series of TIAs and the cumulative damage was very bad. Didn't show up in a CT or MRI initially, but eventually scarring did show up as the damage mounted.

A TIA is a “transient ischemic attack,” and by definition is not a stroke. “Mini-stroke” is a misnomer. It sounds like your father had a series of small strokes, not a series of TIA’s. It’s an important distinction.
Date: May 24, 2020 02:33PM
S. Pupp
Sarcany
S. Pupp

A TIA is a “transient ischemic attack,” and by definition is not a stroke. “Mini-stroke” is a misnomer. It sounds like your father had a series of small strokes, not a series of TIA’s. It’s an important distinction.

The differential for a TIA is that symptoms don't last much more than an hour and nothing turns up immediately afterwards when imaged. The distinctions between "silent strokes" and "mini strokes" are not always clear and are inevitably up to the opinion of the treating physician.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2020 02:36PM by Sarcany.
Date: May 24, 2020 02:51PM
Sarcany
S. Pupp
Sarcany
S. Pupp

The differential for a TIA is that symptoms don't last much more than an hour and nothing turns up immediately afterwards when imaged. The distinctions between "silent strokes" and "mini strokes" are not always clear and are inevitably up to the opinion of the treating physician.

I think the difference here is that I’m using the current tissue-based 2009 American Heart Association/American Stroke Association definition of TIA (ischemia without infarction), and you might be using the previous time-based definition, for which approximately 30% of TIA’s were actually strokes.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 24, 2020 04:43PM
Dennis S
I had a spell a few years ago where I looked at a map and a highway I've been on hundreds of times looked like I had never seen it. I had a MRI last year that was normal. Yesterday, I tried to say the word "liaison" and it wouldn't come out right.

DEFINITELY time to talk to a doctor!

One thing, though... A YouTuber I watch occasionally described a certain "attack" he has occasionally... he even caught one on camera once, that sounded very much like you describe - It's like for a dozen or two seconds, he doesn't know where he is.... Everything looks like he's NEVER seen it before. He went into some detail.
I am definitely NOT suggesting you "take medical advice from a random youtuber"... but, along WITH consulting your doctor, Joe Scott may at least give you some ideas of terminology to look up and discuss with your doctor. I dunno about you, but sometimes it's hard to articulate a problem, when you lack the vocabulary to describe it. Perhaps Joe's video can give you a start.

[www.youtube.com]

I can't find the exact video on a quick search, but I know he's used it as the topic for a video.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Diana
Date: May 25, 2020 02:39AM
Dennis,

A TIA is an ischemic event, and as such should be seen by a doctor sooner rather than later. Whether or not you classify it as a stroke, damage is being done every time you suffer one. Changes in your vision or ability to speak as you have described fall within the symptoms of stroke.

An MRI can only see any damage that has happened. It is helpful to have one on your normal, pre-stroke brain to compare the current image to, but rarely does that happen. If the MRI picks up the damage (and it may not be sensitive enough to see it, hence the use of dye) it may be slight enough to be easily overlooked. A visit to a neurologist who specializes in stroke is in order. This is something you need to be proactive about, not reactive. Once the damage is done, it rarely to never comes back.

Good luck, and keep us posted please.

Diana
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 161
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018