advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
MR Forum Video Conference Series: pRICE cUBE, what do you actually use for video conference lighting?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: May 24, 2020 04:09PM
Welcome to the MR Forum Video Conference Series, where pRICE cUBE attempts to give helpful hints on improving how others view you.

The following is based on my training and experience years of pointing lenses at people for money.

Feel free to add information.

These are all suggestions so do what is best for your situation.

You may ask for a refund at any time

I use a lamp similar to this. I point the bulbs upward toward the ceiling where two walls meet. The light also passes through the translucent light covers. This provides even lighting for my entire image including the white curtain background. Only adjustment I made was changing the bulbs from 60-watt equivalent to 100-watt. It was a regular floor lamp I already owned.

More selection in these links.
Home Depot Lamps [www.homedepot.com]
Lowes [www.lowes.com]

This one is $20 [www.homedepot.com]

$16 2 light setup. [www.lowes.com]

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2020 06:59PM by pRICE cUBE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: MR Forum Video Conference Series: pRICE cUBE, what do you actually use for video conference lighting?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 24, 2020 04:21PM
Try not to mix CFL, LED, and Incandescents. They are different color temperatures and mixing them will make it hard, if not impossible for your camera to white balance and give you a natural look.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Re: MR Forum Video Conference Series: pRICE cUBE, what do you actually use for video conference lighting?
Date: May 24, 2020 04:45PM
Ombligo
Try not to mix CFL, LED, and Incandescents. They are different color temperatures and mixing them will make it hard, if not impossible for your camera to white balance and give you a natural look.

That is an extremely good point. You can see what the color temperature on the light bulb box indicates about the color temperature. 2800k tends to be warmer tone. 5500k is more daylight balanced which can appear more bluish when next to a 2800k. Mixing these can result in the camera trying to set white balance for one bulb instead of the other.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 24, 2020 07:23PM
Easy to get all the lights a similar kelvin when everything’s artificial (and controlled). Pick your poison and go. For everything else ... there are gels for the odd man out. smiling smiley
Posted by: steve...
Date: May 24, 2020 09:57PM
Has the conference discussed clothing? I've noticed a light colored shirt makes your skin look darker and it seems like the opposite is true.

Northern California Coast
Date: May 24, 2020 10:28PM
steve...
Has the conference discussed clothing? I've noticed a light colored shirt makes your skin look darker and it seems like the opposite is true.

A white or lighter color shirt may affect the camera's exposure. If your camera sets this exposure automatically, a white shirt could throw off the exposure. Basically, your camera is trying to keep details in the white area so it will decrease the amount of light the lens lets in or decrease the sensitivity of the sensor. SInce your face is darker than a white shirt and reflects less light, it will appear darker.

This would be the advantage of using Canon SLR and other compatible cameras as your webcam. You can set exposure. On SLR, you can attach a lens that lets in plenty of light reducing the need for higher, noisier ISO. Then you set exposure and white balance and are not at the mercy of auto settings.

Posted by: sekker
Date: May 25, 2020 04:09PM
Thanks, pRICE!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 192
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020