The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Personal finance apps for the Mac?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 24, 2020 06:45PM
Personal finance apps for the Mac?

Hi everyone,

It’s been a while since we’ve had a discussion of personal finance apps for the Mac. My current app of choice for personal tasks is Moneydance. The app was actually very good for a long time but, over the last couple of years, it’s suffered from numerous issues. Some relate to the interface. Some relate to problems downloading transactions from financial providers. Some relate to missing features. It’s time for a change.

I didn’t want to do to make a change previously since the mortgage account was configured properly and working well. Now that I’m at the tail end of refinancing my mortgage, it’s a prime opportunity to jump ship.

Apps that come to mind are these:

Quicken
Banktivity
Moneyspire
Moneywell
See Finance 2
Moneyworks

What personal finance applications is everyone using these days? An online only one like mint.com or personalcapital.com doesn’t work for me. I prefer a desktop app. 100% compatibility with downloading transactions directly from the back within the app is a must. I don’t want to have to deal with downloading a file and importing the transactions. It’s a bunch of extra steps and a nuisance. Syncing across multiple computers is critical. The way Moneydance does it is annoying. I prefer the simplicity of just leaving the encrypted file in a system like dropbox and just open and close it as necessary on whichever computer I'm using at the moment.

The usual requirements are necessity as well. We’re talking a nice, easy to navigate interface, easy configuration of an account, easy of entry of transactions, category configuration, reminders, and reconciling accounts. Well-rounded reporting features. You get the idea. In this case, a reconciliation report, something I miss terribly from Quicken 2007, isn’t a necessity. I don’t need it for the accounts I’ll be managing with the app.

FWIW, I do have an account configured at personalcapital.com. Might give it a whirl with one or two accounts just for giggles. A desktop app is still preferable.

Thanks for your input!

Robert
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Personal finance apps for the Mac?
Posted by: carl
Date: May 24, 2020 07:30PM
I use Banktivity. I moved over from Quicken a few years back and have been happy with Banktivity.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 24, 2020 08:41PM
iFinance

Available at App Store for iOS and Macs.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: May 24, 2020 11:26PM
Will Mint.com do what you need. I love Mint and it is FREE.
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 25, 2020 10:30AM
Ken Sp.
Will Mint.com do what you need. I love Mint and it is FREE.

he does not like it. An online only one like mint.com or personalcapital.com doesn’t work for me.
Posted by: JEBB
Date: May 25, 2020 10:57AM
Has anyone tried Gnucash, which is migrated from Linux Mint? It is free.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2020 10:58AM by JEBB.
Posted by: davester
Date: May 25, 2020 10:43PM
Moneydance works for me.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 27, 2020 02:19PM
Hi everyone,

Thank you for the input. I suspect, in the end, I'll make the jump to Quicken. Hate the idea but it seems the de facto standard accepted by financial institutions. At some point, if I need the reconciliation report, I'll use VirtualBox to create a basic windows machine to run on my macs and use it for the Windows version of Quicken which has it.

Robert
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 11, 2020 07:19PM
going thru the same thing as well.
MD/Infinite Kind just seem so unresponsive as developers.
MD is missing some simple elements that Q always had, especially when it comes to reports.
I and others have asked for a couple years. Must be too busy throwing darts at the pub.

I tried Banktivity and iFi once, but that was at least 5 years ago.
But I need to find something else, even though I just updated MD a few months back.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 136
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018