Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Comcast/Axfinity Wifi and Time Machine
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: May 25, 2020 10:24AM
Hi,

My MIL just moved into a new rental place and now has Comcast for Cable/Internet.
She used to use a time Capsule for Wifi and TM Backups.
I don't want to reuse the Time Capsule, due to its age.
She has a MacBook Pro and there is no way she will plug and unplug a drive.

Can I just plug in a USB drive into the USB Port on the new Comcast Router/Wifi device?
I don't have the model number.

Sorry for the lack of specific details.

thanks,

Steve
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Comcast/Axfinity Wifi and Time Machine
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 25, 2020 10:27AM
Probably. Sorry for not being more specific, due to the lack of specific details.
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 25, 2020 12:07PM
I don’t see any reason to stop using the TC as a wireless backup drive.

Assuming the plan is to use the Comcast modem/router as the main net provider the TC can still be used as a wireless drive.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 25, 2020 12:34PM
kurtzie
Can I just plug in a USB drive into the USB Port on the new Comcast Router/Wifi device?

No.

The Time Machine service needs to run on the host-device. If the Comcast box doesn't run a Time Machine service (and it doesn't) then her computer won't see it as a target for a Time Machine backup.

You're right to be concerned about the age of the Time Capsule. There's an ordinary hard drive in that box and drives inevitably fail after a few years.

For my own mom, I picked up a small flash drive that fits inconspicuously in her MacBook Air's USB port and I have it backing up via Time Machine to this drive. Since flash isn't reliable in the long run, I've been replacing the flash drive every couple of years, and I've also made a clone and taken it home with me as an off-site backup... Intended to move her to an online backup service this year (CrashPlan), but those plans have been derailed by the virus.

Posted by: kurtzie
Date: May 25, 2020 03:00PM
#1. Could I hang a new drive off the Time Capsule, and connect the Time Capsule to the Comcast Box via Ethernet?
or
#2. Keep using Time Capsule Drive until failure and supplementing it with a CCC backup done manually by me when every time I'm there? (Its close enough, that we are there enough).
or
#3. Flash Drive option
or

Thanks,

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2020 03:31PM by kurtzie.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 25, 2020 03:06PM
Re: #1...

You could hang a new drive off of the Time Capsule to use for ongoing network-backups... If it's the appropriate model Time Capsule.

Scroll down on the page from this link to see compatible models:
[support.apple.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 195
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018