advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Webcamming under the pandemic?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: May 25, 2020 11:45AM
Decent, well known, Mac compatible webcams are in short supply...

So, I'm seeing a glut of $25 - $40 Asian made HD webcams; 1080p @ 30fps, 720p @ 60fps, etc. Info seems to imply mostly fixed focusing, but no mention of Mac compatibility. Is there some way to tell which ones, if any, may play nice w/ Macs? Also, any way to get auto focus to work?
Thanks.
==
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Webcamming under the pandemic?
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 25, 2020 11:57AM
Logitech models work on mac and they're not that expensive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2020 11:58AM by Acer.
Date: May 25, 2020 12:34PM
Acer

Except they're not in stock at regular prices.... the scalpers own the market now.
==
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 25, 2020 12:58PM
Buzz
Acer

Except they're not in stock at regular prices.... the scalpers own the market now.
==

Ahh. Good point.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 25, 2020 01:34PM
Acer
Buzz
Acer

==

Ahh. Good point.

Watch eBay carefully and persistently. Last month, I scored a used C920 for $60 shipped, and a new C922 for $140 shipped... the C922, I'm sure I could have gotten for much less if I'd been more patient, but my need was somewhat urgent. These prices are definitely higher than they would have been pre-COVID, but they're not unreasonable under current circumstances. Edit: oh, and these were B-I-N prices, I didn't want to get into any sort of bidding wars; and besides which, folks bidding were paying more than I did using B-I-N, which I really couldn't understand.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2020 01:35PM by PeterB.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: May 25, 2020 02:57PM
Buzz
Acer

==

If your need is not urgent, you may be able to place a backorder at normal pricing. I've got backorders at Adorama and Tiger Direct for a Logitech webcam.

My previous backorder at Adorama for an HDMI input interface (to test out using a DSLR) actually shipped in a few days, but I probably got lucky - the same order from B&H still hasn't shipped (I should go cancel that one).
Date: May 25, 2020 03:01PM
I want/need to score a couple for two BIL/SIL's, and was wondering if those Asian cheapos w/ the theoretically good specs would/could work w/o a lot of tech support; w/ me being family tech support. If I could find a couple of sub <$40 used Logi's, that would be ideal, but I don't see that happening any time soon. Hence, accurate 4-1-1 on the heretofore unknown imports would go a long way to solving the conundrum.
Thanks.
==
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: May 25, 2020 03:03PM
You might check some rural stores using BrickSeek (google for UPC’s or use Brickseek’s SKU Finder available on the inventory checker page). I’ve had excellent luck with this.

Here’s one that’s hit or miss at some Walmarts (BrickSeek has inventory checkers for Target, Office Depot & Staples too): [brickseek.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2020 04:31PM by Carnos Jax.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 25, 2020 03:42PM
Buzz
I want/need to score a couple for two BIL/SIL's, and was wondering if those Asian cheapos w/ the theoretically good specs would/could work w/o a lot of tech support; w/ me being family tech support. If I could find a couple of sub <$40 used Logi's, that would be ideal, but I don't see that happening any time soon. Hence, accurate 4-1-1 on the heretofore unknown imports would go a long way to solving the conundrum.
Thanks.
==

If you don't need the highest quality, and just want something that works out of the box (and is for sure Mac-compatible), maybe try looking for one of the older/cheaper Logitech's. I ended up mailing one that I'd gotten awhile back to one of my brothers, who just needed something that works and not at the current prices. Something like this maybe?: [www.ebay.com]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: JEBB
Date: May 25, 2020 07:52PM
Use a laptop or iPad for that purpose.
Date: May 25, 2020 08:42PM
JEBB
Use a laptop or iPad for that purpose.

That's what they're doing now, but it's old kit, and their video sucks.
Easier (and CHeApEr) than buying them new laptops or iPads to get 'em $35 webcams.
May consider getting spousal unit a new iPad Pro to replace her (not-that) old 2017 regular iPad. That video is way better than BIL/SIL's older kit, so may then barter the 2017 to the in-laws, but still liking the 2X $35 solution, if possible.
==
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 25, 2020 10:08PM
Too bad the ol' iSights don't work with modern Macs!
Date: May 25, 2020 11:59PM
sekker
Too bad the ol' iSights don't work with modern Macs!

cool smiley
Fer sure, dude! A bit low rez, and slow frame rate, and I (think) do have a couple still stashed somewhere, but IRL probably not much of an improvement, if any, over in-laws old kit.
==
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: May 26, 2020 12:13AM
Amazon seems to have some Mac compatible webcams [www.amazon.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 124
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018