advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I love how the Dutch do bicycling.
Posted by: steve...
Date: May 25, 2020 09:04PM
But I don't think we're quite ready for it here.

This is obviously pre-covid19 : Unbelievably busy bicycle crossing in Amsterdam:

YouTube

Northern California Coast
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I love how the Dutch do bicycling.
Posted by: davester
Date: May 25, 2020 09:42PM
Amsterdam is an amazingly human scale city, unlike US cities that are overrun by cars. First time I went there I thought "This is how the world should be".

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 25, 2020 09:55PM
.....and their Apple pie.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 25, 2020 11:31PM
OMG, sorry, that looks awful. There must be 500 accidents a day in that intersection.

There were at *least* 30 near misses, like less than 3", in the first few minutes. And plenty of mental "FU!!" and look backs...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 25, 2020 11:42PM
steve...
But I don't think we're quite ready for it here.

This is obviously pre-covid19 : Unbelievably busy bicycle crossing in Amsterdam:

YouTube

That looks like a crap show. Unorganized and very unsafe for the pedestrians. Generally unsafe for everyone else.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 26, 2020 12:10AM
I was worn out after watching one minute. I'm gave up when the gold car on the left finally started making his left turn and got honked at.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 26, 2020 01:20AM
When I first traveled to Amsterdam, one of the first things I noted were the beautiful women riding bikes. The second thing I noticed is that they will absolutely run you over - and look gorgeous doing it.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 26, 2020 01:45AM
I like Dutch pancakes. Just saying.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 26, 2020 03:35AM
When I was young, studly and dating horny, "Dutch Treat" would move that invitation over to the sure let's do that spot every many time(s).

Fun while they lasted but sadly those days are gone, evaporated along with the last century.
Date: May 26, 2020 08:03AM
Racer X
I like Dutch pancakes. Just saying.

....what about 'Dutch oven'.....???

Posted by: dk62
Date: May 26, 2020 10:05AM
I lived there for 3 months and enjoyed commuting to work on the bicycle. However, it was in one of the newly built settlements, and there was absolutely zero intersections where I would have to worry about cars or pedestrians. All the bike lanes were physically separated from the roads and sidewalks and any crossings were done with overpasses. Really enjoyable.
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 26, 2020 10:16AM
When we visited, they called it the city of 800,000 people and a million bikes.

They probably shouldn’t have cars on that road.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 26, 2020 12:12PM
Why is that video 9 minutes long?
Posted by: Ammo
Date: May 26, 2020 12:28PM
I watched for at least 2 minutes and saw only 2 obviously overweight people the whole time. Unbelievable.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Until you make your unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. - Carl Jung
Posted by: datbeme
Date: May 26, 2020 01:01PM
I don't know, but it's fascinating. I made it a little past halfway. Somewhere in the 4th or 5th minute, there were two guys on bikes coming from the left, and they (understandably) got stuck because they didn't have the same risk tolerance as everyone else.
Posted by: tortoise
Date: May 26, 2020 01:16PM
They have many quaint ways, one of my favorites was they put chocolate on their morning toast!
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 26, 2020 01:29PM
At least people were smart enough to grant the box truck the right of way.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: wurm
Date: May 26, 2020 03:52PM
What, no helmets! smiling smiley
Date: May 26, 2020 04:34PM
....what about Double......Dutch......??

Posted by: blooz
Date: May 26, 2020 06:04PM
LOL!

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: davester
Date: May 26, 2020 06:21PM
wurm

The only reason to have helmets is to protect you in high speed crashes or crashes involving cars. Otherwise, falling off your bike has about the same level of hazard as tripping and falling when running or walking. I don't see anyone suggesting that runners wear helmets.

I don't really understand the folks who think that is awful. The bikes are moving at a walking pace so the only "accidents" are extremely mild collisions. There are a few of them during the video and they are no big deal. Considering that this is one of the busiest combo bike/car intersections in the whole city this is pretty mild compared to the rather intense dangers for bicycle riders in just about any urban intersection in an American city.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2020 06:22PM by davester.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 26, 2020 06:34PM
if you think that's wild, Ho Chi Mihn City aka Sai Gon.
Insane. And you can walk across any busy intersection without so much as a glance.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: May 26, 2020 10:56PM
dk62
I lived there for 3 months and enjoyed commuting to work on the bicycle. However, it was in one of the newly built settlements, and there was absolutely zero intersections where I would have to worry about cars or pedestrians. All the bike lanes were physically separated from the roads and sidewalks and any crossings were done with overpasses. Really enjoyable.

Ammo
I watched for at least 2 minutes and saw only 2 obviously overweight people the whole time. Unbelievable.

These are my observations too when I visited Amsterdam for a week back in the early 2000’s. We could learn a lot from their lead instead of cringing at how awful it is. Such a well designed urban environment that can efficiently handle pedestrians, bicycles & automobiles simultaneously and safely. And one more thing, after a couple of days it struck me why everyone was beautiful......like Ammo observed, they were not overweight! Their city is designed such that you get a healthy dose of exercise, without over doing it. Quick items can be bought on the same block where you live. Longer trips for other items can be taken care of by biking or public transportation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2020 11:01PM by Carnos Jax.
Posted by: d4
Date: May 27, 2020 08:16AM
I did not see one UPS truck stopping to make a delivery. That would cause havoc at the intersection. Let's see what happens during the other 1430 minutes of the day at the intersection. Edited FAKENESS! LOL

Posted by: raz
Date: May 27, 2020 09:00AM
davester
wurm

The only reason to have helmets is to protect you in high speed crashes or crashes involving cars. Otherwise, falling off your bike has about the same level of hazard as tripping and falling when running or walking. I don't see anyone suggesting that runners wear helmets.

Politely disagree. I was going round a corner and hit some sand. The rear wheel slid out and I went down. I tucked my head into my shoulder. The fall cost me a lot of road rash, a pair of bibs, and a 3 inch chunk of my helmet right over my right eye.

I never ride without a helmet.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Date: May 27, 2020 09:02AM
....also disagree there was a statistic, which I don't recall, but a large # of crashes are more damaging than they should be if only the person used a helmet.....

Posted by: hal
Date: May 27, 2020 02:06PM
Why no traffic light?
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 27, 2020 11:22PM
Fritz
if you think that's wild, Ho Chi Mihn City aka Sai Gon.
Insane. And you can walk across any busy intersection without so much as a glance.

Heh. My daughter spent a year in smaller Chinese city (only a few million!) teaching English. She said she was initially intimidated by the various forms and intensity of wheeled traffic, but with time she saw it more like salmon in a stream. Stride confidently, like you know what you are doing, and traffic finds a way around you.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 28, 2020 08:53AM
Why no traffic light?

Because like Critical Mass, who'd pay attention.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 192
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018