advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
WOW! It looks like Applecare is dead - only Applecare + (that must be purchased w/in 60 days) remains
Posted by: hal
Date: May 26, 2020 12:53PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks to me like the old Applecare is dead and gone

There is no mention of it on the Applecare page: [www.apple.com] Only talk of Applecare +.

Checking the Applecare / Mac page I see this:

1. Purchase AppleCare+ with your new Mac.
2. Or buy it within 60 days of your Mac purchase:
•Online (requires you to verify your serial number and run a remote diagnostic)

•At an Apple Store (inspection of Mac and proof of purchase are required)

•By calling 800-275-2273 (requires you to run a remote diagnostic and provide proof of purchase)

I decided to look into this when I was checking a serial number for warranty status of a computer I saw on ebay and the apple page looked different. This is a computer that is still within its original one year warranty and beyond the 90 days of free tech support that comes with the otiginal warranty.

I see:

• Valid Purchase Date

• Telephone Support: Expired

• Repairs and Service Coverage:
Your product is covered for eligible hardware repairs and service under Apple’s Limited Warranty.
Estimated Expiration Date: July 21, 2020

What is missing is the last line telling me that this computer is elegible for Applecare protection. It USED to look like this:

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: WOW! It looks like Applecare is dead - only Applecare + (that must be purchased w/in 60 days) remains
Date: May 26, 2020 12:53PM
So if you're one of those people (like me) that puts off applecare purchase until near the end of that first year, GET ON THE PHONE!
Re: WOW! It looks like Applecare is dead - only Applecare + (that must be purchased w/in 60 days) remains
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 26, 2020 12:59PM
Pretty sure it’s been like that for some time now.

I know I’ve discussed it here before.

Coverage is also expanded to accidental damage — which it never used to cover.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 26, 2020 01:04PM
.....when you CARE....enough....to send the very best......????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: May 26, 2020 01:50PM
jdc

Actually both options ave been around for quite a while. The old Applecare was available a couple of months ago.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 26, 2020 01:55PM
hal
jdc

Actually both options ave been around for quite a while. The old Applecare was available a couple of months ago.

Not for iPads.
Posted by: celliott
Date: May 26, 2020 02:00PM
I have a 2018 Mac mini that is still under the 1 year warranty until the end of July. I am giving it to my son and his family and decided to buy AppleCare for it just to give him some protection.It's in perfect condition but I don't want him to deal with things down the road. Anyway, when I inquired by talking to an Apple rep, actually two of them, I was told that AC+ is only available for purchase within 60 days of purchase. I don't think that was the case when I originally bought the Mini.

There is apparently no AC like there used to be. They would not relent on the policy.
Date: May 26, 2020 02:01PM
celliott
I have a 2018 Mac mini that is still under the 1 year warranty until the end of July. I am giving it to my son and his family and decided to buy AppleCare for it just to give him some protection.It's in perfect condition but I don't want him to deal with things down the road. Anyway, when I inquired by talking to an Apple rep, actually two of them, I was told that AC+ is only available for purchase within 60 days of purchase. I don't think that was the case when I originally bought the Mini.

There is apparently no AC like there used to be. They would not relent on the policy.

damn! I thought they would have been prepared to make exceptions for the first year or so.
Date: May 26, 2020 02:12PM
hal, if you find out otherwise, please let me know. the two I talked with were no help.
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 26, 2020 02:19PM
hal

well, that would be news to me, I was under the impression is was gone gone gone.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: GGD
Date: May 26, 2020 02:23PM
LA Computer still has AppleCare for the Mac Pro listed on their site for sale, but not for any other models.

[www.lacomputercompany.com]

I wonder what Apple does with people who have the old retail boxed AppleCare packages with the activation codes. There might still be some way to activate those.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 26, 2020 02:26PM
.....so like 'black sheep' of the family......dead.....to......you.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: May 26, 2020 03:14PM
celliott
hal, if you find out otherwise, please let me know. the two I talked with were no help.

I would call again and then again some weeks later. If enough calls come in, they may change the policy for a time at least.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 26, 2020 03:58PM
I'm not surprised by the time limit of Apple Care + and the disappearance of Apple Care.

I have seen no mention of Apple Care at Apple's sited in a long time.

Apple wants to prevent people buying Apple Care only if and when they need it sometime within the standard one year period.

That's like only buy car insurance after a collision.

So buy it at the time of purchase, or later with an inspection, or not at all.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 26, 2020 04:48PM
RAMd®d
Apple wants to prevent people buying Apple Care only if and when they need it sometime within the standard one year period.

I disagree; it's not the same at all. If the warranty is one year then it doesn't make a difference whether you have AC during that first year. However, I think it is a sales technique by Apple. If you're not forced to buy it right away, a significant portion of people waiting till the end of the year might just skip it.

On the other hand, if you just laid out a bunch of money for a new Mac or iOS device, you may not want to pay even more for AC right away and if you can wait a while to spend the extra money, maybe the effect on sales would be a wash?

Date: May 26, 2020 05:05PM
RAMd®d
I'm not surprised by the time limit of Apple Care + and the disappearance of Apple Care.

I have seen no mention of Apple Care at Apple's sited in a long time.

So buy it at the time of purchase, or later with an inspection, or not at all.

Well, if they want to inspect my mini in order to issue AppleCare, no problem. It's working perfectly. But the point is, that's not an option anymore. Forget it after 60 days. My other issue is that wasn't the policy when I bought the mini 10 months ago. there was no policy that I was aware of that said I had 60 days to buy the AppleCare and that AppleCare was no longer available, only AppleCare+.
Date: May 26, 2020 05:08PM
AllGold
RAMd®d

I disagree; it's not the same at all. If the warranty is one year then it doesn't make a difference whether you have AC during that first year. However, I think it is a sales technique by Apple. If you're not forced to buy it right away, a significant portion of people waiting till the end of the year might just skip it.

That would make sense if apple made a big deal about the death of applecare (and the birth of Applecare+), but it was as quiet a cancellation as they've ever done.

Posted by: Mactel
Date: May 26, 2020 05:41PM
AllGold
RAMd®d

On the other hand, if you just laid out a bunch of money for a new Mac or iOS device, you may not want to pay even more for AC right away and if you can wait a while to spend the extra money, maybe the effect on sales would be a wash?

AppleCare+ covers 2 incidents of accidental damage though where the standard warranty doesn't.
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: May 26, 2020 07:19PM
This page, which seems to be their main page, references both:

[www.apple.com]

EDIT: Just realized I linked to the same page as O.P. There most definitely *is* mention of Applecare, in multiple places, it's just that when you get to the place where it shows the various products, the only one that seems to have regular Applecare as an option is the Apple TV.

[www.zeemaps.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2020 07:21PM by The UnDoug.
Date: May 26, 2020 07:29PM
The UnDoug
This page, which seems to be their main page, references both:

[www.apple.com]

EDIT: Just realized I linked to the same page as O.P. There most definitely *is* mention of Applecare, in multiple places, it's just that when you get to the place where it shows the various products, the only one that seems to have regular Applecare as an option is the Apple TV.

somehow, I didn't even catch that...
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 26, 2020 08:56PM
There are third parties that sell extended warranties...
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: May 27, 2020 08:38AM
Or do what I do. I use my Amex to buy Apple products. My Amex doubles warrantees up to one year and not just on Apple products. Yes, I pay an annual fee. However, I don't need to buy any extended warrantees when using Amex. The Amex program includes failure, accidental damage and theft/loss.
Posted by: btfc
Date: May 27, 2020 10:23AM
Many other credit cards include extended warranties also; my Mastercard does.
Posted by: Michael
Date: May 27, 2020 05:29PM
I rely on credit card doubled warranty's as well. We might just be lucky but we've never had any Apple device that needed repair. I've replaced Apple laptops and iPads when we wanted an upgrade but not because any have ever died and it's typically 8-10 years after purchase. Same with iPhones and other Apple devices but typically in fewer years. I've always been very satisfied with the lifespan of the Apple devices when we choose to replace them.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: May 27, 2020 05:41PM
btfc
Many other credit cards include extended warranties also; my Mastercard does.

And many, many credit cards have been dropping extended warranties. Which issuer of that MasterCard still offers extended warranties?
Posted by: btfc
Date: May 27, 2020 06:00PM
Cap 1. Last checked about it over the winter and it was there. There are a couple of tiers of Mastercard benefits. They helped a lot when I hit an elk in a rental card.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2020 06:31PM by btfc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 154
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018