advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Share videos when upload speed is horrible?
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: May 27, 2020 12:45PM
I need to share a few 3-4 minute videos with others. I have pretty low end internet and have found that I cannot get big files to upload no matter how long I give them (weeks). I have a new modem, router, and line from the street to the house... using Ethernet on cable, in a rural area. I filmed one on an iPad and one on a Canon camera on an SD card.

Short of putting stuff on a SD card and physically sending it from somewhere else, which really isn’t an option with work, libraries, and other businesses somewhat closed.... does anyone have any suggestions? I’m trying to put one video on YouTube but it’s been all day and is only 33 percent finished. I don’t know if it will ever finish, because it usually won’t.

I am trying to use iCloud sharing, but some recipients are not Mac users, and it’s acting wonky on the Mac. Adding people isn’t working - only the one I started with is "sticking". I often use this to share photos, so I don’t think it’s user error.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Share videos when upload speed is horrible?
Posted by: d4
Date: May 27, 2020 01:04PM
Just for an added data point, at Fast.com what's your upload speed showing as?

Posted by: GGD
Date: May 27, 2020 01:07PM
And what are the actual file sizes? Maybe compressing more with some quality loss will get you down to something that can upload given your constraints.
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 27, 2020 01:15PM
3-4 minute videos shouldnt be that big? How big are the files?

Maybe save at 720p rather than 1080?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: May 27, 2020 01:35PM
As d4 said, we need the upload speed first. Then we can dial in size and quality settings to minimize upload times.
Date: May 27, 2020 01:40PM
Oh boy. Upload speed averaging 3mbps.

I can compress, but I wasn’t sure YouTube would take it that way, and right now I’m doing it right from my iPad so can’t compress. I’ve only tried iCloud otherwise and so that’s the whole file.

The files are about 77mb each. I’m not sure if I can change the quality or bit rate now - I can’t redo the videos as the event is over.

They are in my shared iCloud album. If I could add recipients, I think that would be the easiest way... but I can’t seem to do that.
Date: May 27, 2020 01:43PM
3 MB/s? thats not bad. Or is that .3 MB/s

Pop open in iMovie on the iPad... been a while since i used it, but 99% it had compression optins.

----

Date: May 27, 2020 01:50PM
It’s 3mbps. I thought that was slow. I have been trying to send a file to Apple that is 880mbs compressed - it never finishes sending. Obviously I canceled that for now I seem to have a nice steady connection now that I have the new router - videoconferences don’t skip and I don’t have interruptions. I don’t know what else my upload issue could be... downloads work just fine. Uploads of this size literally never finish - I left the Apple one running for over a week and I didn’t let the computer sleep during that time.

If I send a compressed file to YouTube, it will be accepted? Thanks.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 27, 2020 01:50PM
Yes, it would be nice to know your internet FAST.com speed rating.

Do you need to keep them in the default format? Have you tried using Handbrake to modify the file type and compression for device compatibility before uploading?

Back when I had DSL, sometimes having a download running at a known low data rate seemed to keep the connection open. A possible equivalent today would be to play a podcast that would last longer than your expected upload time, or maybe stream NPR.org live news (150 Kbps).

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: May 27, 2020 01:53PM
If this is a one time thing, maybe its time to take a little road trip to someplace with faster public wifi to get the upload done.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: May 27, 2020 01:58PM
There’s really no options for traveling to fast wifi. Very little is even open anywhere, let alone something with fast WiFi.

It needs to be a format that most people can easily open. If I can put it on YouTube, they don’t need to be able to open it, as long as YouTube can....

Interesting idea about the download at the same time. I might try that. It does seem like it kind of quits but it doesn’t yield and error or anything. I’ll check into compressing with iMovie.

The Fast.com speed rating is 47mbps before I look at upload.
Posted by: Carm
Date: May 27, 2020 02:15PM
A friend was taking an online class, she didn’t want to put it on YouTube. I had her upload to google drive.
Date: May 27, 2020 02:20PM
If you have a Gmail account, try uploading the video to Google Photos. See if that's any faster.
The end-user does not need to download or install anything to view. Just click on a link. It's just as easy as YouTube.

Date: May 27, 2020 02:25PM
I was messing around in iCloud sharing and found that I can create a public URL - I think that will work! I would still like help with getting large files uploaded in general - the 880mb one is already compressed and can only go to Apple using their FTP type site.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: May 27, 2020 02:25PM
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 27, 2020 02:32PM
Sorry, I was typing that up and took a snack break before hitting post so I didn't see your replies before my first post.

There is a chance that YouTube is scanning your video for copyrighted content, and blocking the completion of the video upload. Are you sure there is nothing in the upload file name, or content, that a third party could be flagging? Music from a child watching TV/video in another room that was barely audible had caused problems before.

Online video management with an iPad. Ugh. This is one of the reasons I have stayed away from iOS devices. Apple/iTunes/iCloud sort of forces users to handle files indirectly, and people end up with issues like you are having. I tried looking for a third party iOS app that would allow you greater control of encoding/compressing videos, but the iTunes walled garden does not look promising because Apple has done such a good job of serving up their own solutions first.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 27, 2020 02:48PM
This is probably a last resort move, if even possible now - render the video in H265 to make reduce the file size?

I don't know if YouTube accepts that codec.

If not, and you can upload the video, viewers could use VLC for playback.

And compared to my .8mbps, your 3mbps is blazin'!

Very little is even open anywhere, let alone something with fast WiFi.

Yes, I was wondering who would have fast public WiFi, that could be trusted, no less.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: May 27, 2020 02:50PM
Right, I don’t think I can change the video that much. I don’t see a way to compress it in iMovie. Since I have found the sharing to (seemingly) work in iCloud, I think the video thing might be solved. I just want to be able to upload stuff in general now.

Yeah, seriously. I could pull up to Dunkin’ Donuts or a library, and sit outside looking like a weirdo, but I have found that some of these places have turned off their (not fast) WiFi.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 27, 2020 03:31PM
FWIW, many businesses left their Wifi on and you can access it from the parking lot. It's worth a shot. I once did a whole system backup from a McDonald's parking lot at 3 AM. And once I was done went in and had breakfast.
Posted by: clay
Date: May 27, 2020 03:37PM
download [handbrake.fr]

use it to create a smaller version. Use really any of the main presets -- any of the "Fast" or "Very Fast" presets actually do well at reducing file size.

Upload the smaller version. Should work just fine.
Posted by: LyleH
Date: May 27, 2020 03:45PM
Can't tell on your remarks, but if you have Comcast, you could drive somewhere where there's higher speed Comcast. Anyone (house or business) who has Comcast with their dual router can be used by anyone to log in with the house's/businesses speed. You just need your Comcast name and password to log in at that location's speed. I can do that at my daughter's place. LyleH
Date: May 27, 2020 03:52PM
It’s Cox. There is not a place where I could go to get WiFi anywhere near here, let alone a place with faster WiFi than mine... I do have a dual band router now
Date: May 27, 2020 04:02PM
I don’t think I can use Handbrake for the Apple file. They want it compressed with finder, which I did. .

We don’t even have a McDonald’s in town, but I know in the past I’ve gone to closed businesses and used their WiFi. Now I find it’s usually turned off at the few businesses that are in our area. I’m sure when they aren’t closed for COVID I’ll be able to use it again... but I’m not sure about sitting there for long periods of time. People tend to be weirded out.
Date: May 27, 2020 04:16PM
Still seems weird that your 3 MB/s upload would be that slow.

I think I max out at 11, which sure is faster... but I just uploaded 250 MB in 2 minutes. so even if your 3 MB took 4 times as long... only 8-10 minutes?

----

Date: May 27, 2020 04:20PM
The YouTube file actually uploaded, finally! It took about 5 hours. Nothing else was using that band on the WiFi. Odd.

I really want to get this 880mb file to Apple now. They don’t know why it wouldn’t work. I’ve tried again and again...
Date: May 27, 2020 04:37PM
maybe its something with the wifi network?

Fast reported 47 mbps down... what was the up?

Mine shows 30/10... but usually 50/12ish

----

Posted by: hal
Date: May 27, 2020 05:21PM
I think there is nothing wrong here except that there is a lot of bandwidth being used by everyone these days.

YT can be slow to upload sometimes. Just like an Apple software upgrade might creep until you cancel it and try again 10 seconds later and it goes full speed. I find that it's best to upload large files at night. Check the speed before you walk away and if it's good, walk away.
Date: May 27, 2020 05:36PM
I have been uploading the Apple file at night - it’s been weeks I’ve been working on it. YouTube was slow all day - I always have trouble, though. The Apple file is being sent from the Mac.

As I said early on, the upload speed is about 3.0.

I’m pretty sure it wasn’t YouTube flagging anything. It was my husband and his horse. No one else around and no sound. As I said it’s anything I try to upload anywhere. It’s always painfully slow. Even before coronavirus.
Posted by: GGD
Date: May 27, 2020 06:14PM
RecipeForDisaster
As I said early on, the upload speed is about 3.0.

Is that actually measured with a speed test from the computer you're using for the uploads, or just what your ISP billing statement says?

Because at 3.0 mb/sec a 77MB file should upload in about 205 second best case, that's under 4 minutes.

Are using WiFi between your computer and router and do you have good signal quality? Something isn't making sense here. Measured speeds with a speed test might answer some questions.

Any chance that these other uploads are still being attempted at the same time, saturating your upload bandwidth.
Date: May 27, 2020 06:16PM
It’s using fast.com. I think my ISP advertises 10mbps. I have excellent signal quality now that I replaced my router. It doesn’t seem to matter if I’m on WiFi or Ethernet.

No, I make sure only one device is doing much of anything at any time. I definitely wouldn’t upload from more than one at a time, and try to make sure the rest are idle. That’s what I’m saying - this 880mb compressed file going to Apple, via Ethernet on cable, from my Mac, should eventually go over.
Date: May 28, 2020 06:38AM
d4
If you have a Gmail account, try uploading the video to Google Photos. See if that's any faster.
The end-user does not need to download or install anything to view. Just click on a link. It's just as easy as YouTube.

For kicks and giggles could you try uploading the same video to Google photos and see how long that takes? If the problem persists on three different sites (YT, Apple, Google) you can confidently conclude that the the site is not the problem.

Date: May 28, 2020 06:39AM
The thing is, the Apple upload is really bad, so I’m quite sure it’s not the site. It’s really any time I try to share or upload a large file. This is my first time using YouTube, but it’s not a new problem.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: May 28, 2020 09:11AM
Would you care to take a peek @ the network tab in activity monitor app?
Date: May 29, 2020 08:56AM
I have it open... not sure what you're looking for. Mail is the top user.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 154
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018