advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Dumb Movies...
Posted by: Rolando
Date: May 27, 2020 03:08PM
Flipping through channels last night, I came across "White House Down" It was a dumb movie. It was predictable the first time I watched it on cable, and 2nd and 3rd. So here I am watching this dumb movie, and asking myself why? So I get up and go for a 5K walk. 55 minutes later according to my watch, I'm back home.

Guess what, I must have hit pause, and the movie is still waiting for me. So I slice up and orange, grab a glass of water and watch the the whole damn, dumb movie!

What the hell is wrong with me? I would never CHOOSE to put this movie on if it was on Netflix etc, and I sure wouldn't buy the DVD!

Anybody have any guilty pleasure dumb movies?

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Dumb Movies...
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 27, 2020 03:09PM

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 27, 2020 03:30PM
Streaming services give us the ability to watch what used to be "B" and "C" movies without shame. And access foreign films and TV series. I was binging "Rugal" which is a comic strip based Korean SF police drama.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: May 27, 2020 03:50PM
Strange Brew
Independence Day
Titanic (sooo predictable...)
Arsenic and Old Lace

and of course loads more.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: May 27, 2020 04:14PM
Kingpin (The landlady's "Afterglow" speech gets me every time)

Me, Myself, and Irene (No matter how many times I watch them, the "Cow in the Road" and "Morning Pee" scenes have me off the couch and on the floor howling with laughter)

Any classic Godzilla movie, meaning the ones with guys in obvious rubber suits stomping on carefully crafted model towns and cities.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

"I don't see color, I just see ugly" - Joe Jitsukawa
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 27, 2020 04:32PM
Perhaps the dumbest of them all -- Armageddon. I've reached the point where I can enjoy this movie for what it is but, man, is it dumb.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2020 04:33PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: May 27, 2020 05:20PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Perhaps the dumbest of them all -- Armageddon. I've reached the point where I can enjoy this movie for what it is but, man, is it dumb.

Agreed. Armageddon is spectacularly bad, with perhaps the largest collection of broadly-drawn, stereotypical, two-dimensional characters ever assembled. It's as if the director faxed a list of stock characters straight to Central Casting with no need for approval, just tell 'em to be on set Monday at 6:00 am.

That being said, the effects are very good and it is fun to watch... with the sound muted and some music playing instead. Maybe Armageddon is like The Wizard of Oz is with Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and there is a classic album somewhere that fits the mood and scene changes perfectly?

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 27, 2020 06:20PM
Any movie that features the USS Missouri
Under Siege
Battleship

And to take some heat off the Navy, the Air Force had
Broken Arrow
Top Gun
anything with Iron Eagle in the title

Most of these are fun, but they are still really, really dumb

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 27, 2020 06:40PM
I enjoy watching movies I have already seen, many dumb and some not, more than I probably should. But in most cases when I'm watching a rerun, I'm not watching exclusively but am doing other things (like browsing on the computer).

In one of his Intelligence For Your Life segments, John Tesh explained (actually just reported--psychologists explained) this tendency to like movies you've already seen. It's because of the familiarity, like seeing an old friend.

Some of my favorites: 2012, Knowing, Dante's Peak, Transformers.

Posted by: jdc
Date: May 27, 2020 07:43PM
Almost all of the above. =)

Maybe not in the same gategory, I have a hard time turning away from Forrest Gump. =)

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 27, 2020 07:46PM
I am sure I could add more.
Annihilation
ST: Enterprise episodes at midnight when I should be sleeping

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 27, 2020 08:31PM
"Bring it On."

There's a scene where Eliza Dushku does a gleeful little dance just for a moment that makes the entire movie worthwhile.

...The sequels are so bad they could use them to drag info out of terrorists. More effective than waterboarding.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 27, 2020 08:33PM
I can't say that I do that. I'll watch some movies again and again, like anything with Bill Murray, or John Candy.

I did just force myself to finish Pirates of the Caribbean. So, I guess that counts.
Posted by: bik
Date: May 27, 2020 10:26PM
Love Actually is our annual Christmas movie.
Jaws around this time every year.

Not a big fan of White House Down, but have enjoyed its clone, Olympus Has Fallen several times, plus London Has Fallen.

The first couple Underworld movie because Kate Beckinsale.
Date: May 27, 2020 10:49PM
....what about....My Britches Has Fallen......???

Date: May 27, 2020 11:03PM
N-OS X-tasy!

I also like its clone, Deep Impact, which is slightly less dumb.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2020 11:19PM by AllGold.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: May 27, 2020 11:08PM
I don't know what to say here. I have a low tolerance for really bad movies, but for some reason, I find Armageddon watchable. It is really pretty stupid, but the way they intertwine that stupidity with the elements of a semi-decent action movie is fascinating in a weird kind of way.

Like Nick Nolte and Gary Busey, I have trouble remembering the differnce between White House Down and Olympus Has Fallen. Both were forgettable.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: May 28, 2020 12:22AM
Watch Highlander (1986) for a good movie.
Watch Highlander II: The Quickening (1991) to see what one of the worst (if not THE worst) movie is like.
Date: May 28, 2020 02:29AM
bik
Love Actually is our annual Christmas movie.
Jaws around this time every year.

Neither of those movies is dumb.

It is what it is.
Date: May 28, 2020 02:30AM
AllGold
N-OS X-tasy!

I also like its clone, Deep Impact, which is slightly less dumb.

Deep Impact is a Nobel Prize winner compared to Armageddon.

It is what it is.
Date: May 28, 2020 02:32AM
datbeme
Like Nick Nolte and Gary Busey, I have trouble remembering the differnce between White House Down and Olympus Has Fallen. Both were forgettable.

Don't they both have the same basic plot? I've seen neither, but I believe that is the case.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Carm
Date: May 28, 2020 04:24AM
Almost anything with Adam Sandler or David Spade. They both make me laugh.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 28, 2020 08:30AM
I LOVE Armageddon.

I don't judge, I just enjoy.

And coincidentally, I just watched Under Siege last night.

That was mainly for Erica Eleniak, and not just the cake scene.

While it's probably Segal's best movie, his best martial arts work is in his earlier stuff - Above the Law and all the other three word title movies.

I also like several Nic Cage movies, some of which may be straight to DVD.

A movie doesn't have to be Citizen Kane for me to enjoy it.

And actually, Love Actually is a favorite of mine.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: May 28, 2020 08:33AM
Red Dawn

Posted by: rich in distress
Date: May 28, 2020 09:21AM
I’ll share that I could not help myself and bought Weird Science when it was on sale @iTs.

The Patriot!!...
Date: May 28, 2020 09:27AM
.....Michael Bay moves are the worst.....both story wise/logic.....and technically with his cutting.......

.....Ben Affleck asked him on Armageddon.....wouldn't it be easier to train an astronaut to be a driller, than train a driller to be an astronaut.........he just said 'shut up'........

Posted by: Grateful11
Date: May 28, 2020 01:13PM
Thrift Store Scott

Any classic Godzilla movie, meaning the ones with guys in obvious rubber suits stomping on carefully crafted model towns and cities.

Watch it now, them's fighting words. winking smiley

Armageddon is so dumb it is entertaining to me.

The most boring movie I've ever seen was Chariots of Fire.

Grateful11
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: May 28, 2020 04:08PM
Grateful11

Watched it once, and I believe it will be the last movie I will watch a second time. I'll even watch Flash Gordon or Take This Job and Shove It again before CoF.

Edit: I do like the soundtrack though I haven't listened to it in a while.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2020 04:09PM by Lew Zealand.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 28, 2020 04:31PM
Lew Zealand
Grateful11

I do like the soundtrack though I haven't listened to it in a while.

Vangelis - also did the music for the original Blade Runner, and others: [en.m.wikipedia.org]
Date: May 28, 2020 10:09PM
NewtonMP2100
.....Michael Bay moves are the worst.....both story wise/logic.....and technically with his cutting.......

.....Ben Affleck asked him on Armageddon.....wouldn't it be easier to train an astronaut to be a driller, than train a driller to be an astronaut.........he just said 'shut up'........

Damn you, Newt!!!!! Your comment and this Ben Affleck commentary have ruined it for me.

[www.youtube.com]

Now we are left to quarrel over which is worse—a "global killer" or an "extinction level event."
Date: May 28, 2020 10:12PM
[Abridged] QUOTE OF THE WEEK:

Lew Zealand
I'll even watch Take This Job and Shove It again before Chariots of Fire.
Date: May 29, 2020 09:26AM
Lew Zealand
Grateful11

Watched it once, and I believe it will be the last movie I will watch a second time. I'll even watch Flash Gordon or Take This Job and Shove It again before CoF.

Edit: I do like the soundtrack though I haven't listened to it in a while.

Okay, two more films to add to my personal "Guilty Pleasure Dumb Movies" list.

Flash Gordon is undeniably dumb, but it was never meant to be a serious effort, plus one might gain a slightly better appreciation for it when one realizes the lengths to which the director went to faithfully reproduce the look of the original comics on film such as using a very limited number of colors for costumes and sets.

Take This Job and Shove It I wouldn't have called "dumb" per se, but I can't argue that it isn't more than a little bit delusional/overly hopeful... though no more so than any number of classic Disney films. Throw in Tim Thomerson, Robert Hays, a '69 Continental sedan, and Eddie Albert playing perhaps the ultimate clueless, entitled, spoiled rich guy and I'm down to watch it any time.

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 29, 2020 11:25AM
The worst movie ever made was "Two Lane Blacktop."
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 30, 2020 02:01PM
Dennis S
The worst movie ever made was "Two Lane Blacktop."

I thought Plan 9 From Outer Space had retired that title.

[www.youtube.com]
Date: May 30, 2020 10:43PM
I thought of a really dumb movie (possibly hard to top) that I like: The Pacifier.

Extremely dumb but the kids are cute and it's kind of funny.

Posted by: digby
Date: June 04, 2020 07:41PM
Carm
Almost anything with Adam Sandler or David Spade. They both make me laugh.
I hate both of those those guys. So why did I, late one night, make myself start watching a Netflix movie with both of them? Oh, well, I expected to switch it off out of disgust and get to bed...

It was so much fun! Spade wasn't his smarmy self, he was a conservative dweeb. And Sandler was his old high school friend who's now an FBI agent... or is he?

Had to look up the name: The Do-Over.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 189
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018