advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
A little something for Yes fans
Posted by: hal
Date: May 27, 2020 03:10PM
I spontaneously decided that I needed to hear South Side of the Sky. This is one song that seems to get stronger over the years while much of Yes music seems to become dated.

So I wanted to hear THIS song and I wanted to see it performed live. I've seen yes lots of times, but they never played this song when I saw them. There were two version of Yes playing this song in 2003 & 2004 - a good deal past their prime. These were pretty good considering their age, but Youtube pointed me to this cover version of the song.

And it really kicks ass. The guitar work is WAY better than what Steve Howe was doing in their live versions.

Very good audio quality: [www.youtube.com]

they do a few Yes covers and they are all good, but I thought this one was best.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: A little something for Yes fans
Posted by: wurm
Date: May 27, 2020 03:39PM
Oh yeah, I "discovered" that version...and that band a couple of weeks ago. Their cover of Close to the Edge is remarkable, as well. And while I'm not a musician, I was fascinated by the video breaking down the process for their quarantine cover of Roundabout. [www.youtube.com]
Posted by: hal
Date: May 27, 2020 03:45PM
The Close to the Edge is remarkable, but not my favorite yes song. Still, that's a hard one to pull off live and they did a great job.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: May 27, 2020 04:03PM
Got out the Dragonfly and planar mags for that one, was not disappointed.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: May 27, 2020 04:32PM
Now that was good, many thanks.

Paul

Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 27, 2020 05:35PM
Not as good as the original, so... meh.
Posted by: raz
Date: May 27, 2020 05:47PM
excellent. thanks

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 27, 2020 07:36PM
Interesting. I will have to listen to their stuff more. Seeing them perform it and laughing at the air sound effect didn't let me take the first half of the song seriously.* I also think the reverb/acoustics on vocal track are a little odd (something something something perfection in other people... ).

*Prog rock is serious stuff! wink smiley

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: flightdelayedagain
Date: May 27, 2020 08:17PM
A guitar player friend sent me the Close to the Edge link so I had to check out all their videos - great Yes cover band. There's also a video of the bass player explaining how he gets the Chris Squire tones. Good stuff!
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: May 29, 2020 08:32AM
When I was in college I remember being blown away by a cover band out of Birmingham just nailing "I've Seen All Good People" live, perfect on guitars and vocals. You didn't see a whole lot of bands with the nerve to cover Yes in those days, and even fewer that could pull it off. The band was called Split The Dark, and broke up in the late 80's. Couple of years later Damon Johnson, their gunslinger lead guitarist and then-backup vocalist started singing lead and started the band Brother Cane. Good dude, great musician.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 172
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020