advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
MBP 16? MBA? Getting some GAS…
Posted by: wave rider
Date: May 27, 2020 07:56PM
Picked up a class to teach this fall and find myself gassing (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) for a new portable. Seems like folks here are liking the MBP 16 and the MBA too.

And, of course, Costco has $200 off the two MBP 16s they are offering. Got my eye on the i7/16GB/500GB SSD model for $2100. Will be teaching online a course using Illustrator and Photoshop. The i9/16GB/1TB SSD version is going for $2500.

Or should I look at the MBAs too? I have a decent 27” iMac already that will be more than adequate, sadly, my late 2008 MBP doesn’t want to start anymore and I was never able to upgrade it past Mavericks.

I appreciate your thoughts!

=wr=
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: MBP 16? MBA? Getting some GAS…
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 27, 2020 08:06PM
The MBA strictly for light work... simple AI and PS web images prob fine.

If you want heavy lifting... 16"... with the i9. Refurbs are $2400. The Radeon 5500 kick a$$.

You could split the difference with a 13" MBP... but at least $1800 decently specced... at that point its too close to a base 16" MBP if it was my money. Id want the 16 for the screen, processor and most importantly GPU.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 27, 2020 08:11PM
Just ordered a 16", the killer feature was the advanced audio for me. Better battery life, but size might matter too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2020 08:11PM by sekker.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: May 27, 2020 08:50PM
sekker
Just ordered a 16", the killer feature was the advanced audio for me. Better battery life, but size might matter too.

Cueing Newt big grin smiley
Posted by: Drew
Date: May 27, 2020 09:14PM
Yeah, size matters. I have a 15" MacBook Pro that is similar in size to current 16". Love the screen size and other things, but carrying around is a bit of a hassle as compared to my 13". The biggest difference is footprint on the desk or lap. It's surprising how much more space the 15" takes, of course depending on the location. So, if you're going to carry it around a lot and use it in a variety of locations, I recommend looking at the higher end new 13".
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 27, 2020 09:53PM
Drew
Yeah, size matters. I have a 15" MacBook Pro that is similar in size to current 16". Love the screen size and other things, but carrying around is a bit of a hassle as compared to my 13". The biggest difference is footprint on the desk or lap. It's surprising how much more space the 15" takes, of course depending on the location. So, if you're going to carry it around a lot and use it in a variety of locations, I recommend looking at the higher end new 13".

I downsized from a 15" 2012 to a 13" from 2016 when I had a damaged shoulder. Was pretty easy to get used to the smaller screen when mobile, but I always needed to connect to external monitors to get key work done. The 15/16" models have enough additional screen real estate to be more viable.

In an airplane - remember those?! - the 15" was unusable in my experience.
Getting some GAS…
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 27, 2020 10:15PM
....did you eat Mexican.........or Taco Bell.....?????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: wave rider
Date: May 27, 2020 10:16PM
How much is AppleCare+ for the 16s these days?

=wr=
Posted by: Buzz
Date: May 28, 2020 01:12PM
My Pismo is still kicking butt and taking names running Tiger.

Are you sure you really need/want to go new?
Maybe that C2D MBP can be resuscitated... IIRC, it can go to El Cap.

IOW, go with the 16; Happiness cool smiley , there is no substitute.
==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 175
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020