advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Friend save by leathers and helmet
Posted by: lost in space
Date: May 27, 2020 09:55PM
Good friend of mine who's been an avid motorcyclist for decades just about bought the farm last month. He usually rides Japanese bikes, but on this day he was on a 70s police Harley he'd taken on a trade. On a highway in Idaho going 65, he hit a buck. No time to even react, he found himself spinning and sliding, waiting to stop so he could shut off the bike to prevent a fire, which he did. He then realized it was a miracle he was not only alive, but able to walk. He only had a few light bruises. His leathers, boots and gloves were toast and only a few light scratches on the helmet. The bike came through it pretty well, no major damage, only bent sheetmetal and bars, dented tank. He thinks he could probably ride it, once he gets all the deer guts off of it. He'll probably want to spend a fair amount of effort getting the cylinder fins clean, I would think.

So there you go. Wear the right gear. old fogey smiley

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Friend save by leathers and helmet
Posted by: Rolando
Date: May 27, 2020 11:39PM
"Bought the farm" usually means.....you don't walk away from it. Glad he's ok!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 27, 2020 11:53PM
“...just about bought the farm”

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 28, 2020 12:31AM
Opposite with my uncle, and he lived too -- but I think he wished he didnt.

Doing at least 100 and laid it down in jeans and a hoodie, slid for a long way. He was medivaced away.

I will spare you the details, but jeans and hoodie and everything underneath were scraped away....

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 28, 2020 01:01AM
ATGATT.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 28, 2020 04:59AM
Didn't he know to slow down since the buck stops here

Glad he is okay

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: wave rider
Date: May 28, 2020 09:27AM
Good cautionary tale, glad for the fortunate outcome.

=wr=
Posted by: Ammo
Date: May 28, 2020 11:22AM
Glad he came out so well. Helmets for bicycles are very important, too! Brain injuries can be terribly debilitating.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Until you make your unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. - Carl Jung
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 28, 2020 11:44AM
....helmets are must.....however.....no one wants to wear them.....not just for motorcycles but people who ride bicycles, skateboards, scooters, etc..........no one here seems to wear a helmet.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 28, 2020 12:36PM
NewtonMP2100
....helmets are must.....however.....no one wants to wear them.....not just for motorcycles but people who ride bicycles, skateboards, scooters, etc..........no one here seems to wear a helmet.....

As I told my kids from day 1 -- you can break arms, legs, fingers and many other things many times and be fine. But you can only break your head once, and its game over. So put on your helmet.

It worked =)

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: May 28, 2020 12:37PM
jdc
NewtonMP2100

As I told my kids from day 1 -- you can break arms, legs, fingers and many other things many times and be fine. But you can only break your head once, and its game over. So put on your helmet.

It worked =)

Great advice.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Until you make your unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. - Carl Jung
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 258
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018