advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Why do you need more "documentation" for a California "Real ID" than a U.S. Passport
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 27, 2020 10:01PM
For a passport, all you need is a raised seal birth certificate.

Why does California require things like a Utility Bill etc?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Why do you need more "documentation" for a California "Real ID" than a U.S. Passport
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 27, 2020 10:05PM
The Patriot Act.
Re: Why do you need more "documentation" for a California "Real ID" than a U.S. Passport
Date: May 27, 2020 10:07PM
A passport can be used as a "Real ID" for domestic flights.
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 27, 2020 10:08PM
Actually it was it's own bill. 2005.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: May 27, 2020 10:28PM
The birth certificate is proof only of identification. The utility bill is proof of residency.
Date: May 27, 2020 10:29PM
Mr Downtown
The utility bill is proof of residency.

How so? It only proves that you're paying the bill on some property.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 27, 2020 10:56PM
....what about the.....'Real deal'......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 27, 2020 11:11PM
A utility bill to establish residency it SOP when residency needs to be established. What's the big deal?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 28, 2020 04:57AM
Don't blame California, the Real ID requirements come from the federal level.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: d4
Date: May 28, 2020 06:04AM
You need a photo ID and proof of address for a library card.

Posted by: Gareth
Date: May 28, 2020 07:08AM
freeradical
Mr Downtown
The utility bill is proof of residency.

How so? It only proves that you're paying the bill on some property.

No, it’s supposed to prove you received mail at the address you supposedly live at. The property the bill is for is irrelevant, it’s all about the address it was mailed to.

And it doesn’t need to be a utility bill, but you do need 2 forms of mail from acceptable sources. It was unclear to me if printed PDFs were acceptable since many of my bills are paperless so I originally brought an insurance bill and a 2 year old mortgage statement I found. Despite accepting everything at the time, I ended up with a regular license so I had to go back and was told only one address document had been scanned. Don’t know if that meant my mortgage statement was too old and got thrown out, but this time I brought my rental property bill from the city instead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2020 07:14AM by Gareth.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 28, 2020 11:40AM
Gareth
Despite accepting everything at the time, I ended up with a regular license so I had to go back and was told only one address document had been scanned. Don’t know if that meant my mortgage statement was too old and got thrown out, but this time I brought my rental property bill from the city instead.

No - it means the current administration changed the rules mid-process, after states had already (in compliance with federal regulations) issued RealIDs.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 28, 2020 07:37PM
.....what about a passport......to love.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 29, 2020 03:06PM
I think I just read that because of Covid-19, they pushed it all back another year.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Date: May 29, 2020 03:10PM
Racer X
I think I just read that because of Covid-19, they pushed it all back another year.

It appears that you are correct.

[www.tsa.gov]
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 29, 2020 03:17PM
freeradical
Racer X

It appears that you are correct.

[www.tsa.gov]

The DMV also just pushed back my DL expiration date for 2 months.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 169
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018