advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
If You've Ever Considered Trying A Kilt...
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: May 27, 2020 10:30PM
... but have been put off by their high prices, with genuine Utilikilts starting at around $200 and traditional wool Scottish ones going for nearly double that or more*, there is an alternative: Kilt Experts. Lots of styles and colors available from the very traditional to the very trendy and even a couple of all-leather versions, with most models well under $50.

In fairness the "wool" ones from Kilt Experts are clearly listed as being 100% Acrylic and the misspellings and odd wording of some of the descriptions make me think these are probably made in China and might not be of the absolute best quality, but still $45 or so to find out for sure if you like a general type of garment or not doesn't seem too bad and you can always upgrade to a more premium version later if you do.

[kiltexperts.com]

I particularly like the "Two-Tone Hybrid" models, with solid-color cotton outside and tartan within the pleats.

* Not saying they're not worth it, but that's a mighty steep buy-in for something that you could just as easily hate as love and wind up wearing only once.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

"I don't see color, I just see ugly" - Joe Jitsukawa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2020 10:36PM by Thrift Store Scott.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: If You've Ever Considered Trying A Kilt...
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 27, 2020 10:48PM
.....can one just seduce a Scottsman......then take it in the morn'.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: datbeme
Date: May 27, 2020 11:12PM
popcorn smiley
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 27, 2020 11:24PM
Looks like they might have some sort of stealthy purpose.
Posted by: Don C
Date: May 27, 2020 11:37PM
I have three kilts for dancing and Scottish events like Burns Night Dinners. The hybrids are clever but those prices do raise questions about quality. The regular tartan kilts are less than $50 and that is a huge red flag.

Which reminds me, I won the kilt raffle at this year's Burns Night and have not ordered it. (Wife thinks that since I have three, we should get a kilted skirt for her.)
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 27, 2020 11:44PM
Nope.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 28, 2020 12:06AM
You maybe could pay me to wear one, but you'd never have enough money. And I sport a Scottish heritage by way of Nova Scotia.
Date: May 28, 2020 12:51AM
freeradical
Looks like they might have some sort of stealthy purpose.

???

Do you mean the website or the kilts themselves?

Don C
I have three kilts for dancing and Scottish events like Burns Night Dinners.

Cheers mate! smileys with beer

Don C
The hybrids are clever but those prices do raise questions about quality. The regular tartan kilts are less than $50 and that is a huge red flag.

Agreed, hence my suggestion that these might be a cheap way to give a kilt a try before committing to much more expensive models. Giving them a very skeptical benefit of a doubt, the regular tartan ones don't even pretend to be wool and from a structural/sewing standpoint there's not that much to making a kilt compared to making a decent-fitting shirt or pair of pants.

I'm reminded of Merry-Go-Round mall stores which featured low-quality knock-off versions of whatever "hot" but in all likelihood short-lived fashion trend that had just debuted in a TV show or music video such as Freddie "Boom-Boom" Washington's patchwork jeans from Welcome Back, Kotter, Madonna's fingerless lace gloves, or Michael Jackson's "Thriller" jacket. Why buy high-quality versions of an item that will only be "in" for a month or two?

Don C
Which reminds me, I won the kilt raffle at this year's Burns Night and have not ordered it. (Wife thinks that since I have three, we should get a kilted skirt for her.)

If you don't want to tell her I said this I'll understand, but I don't disagree with the Missus on that. Maybe get her one in the same tartan as your favorite one? Ehhh... on second thought that might be drifting a little close to "Matching His & Hers Square Dancer Outfits" territory, depending on the tartan.

Your free kilt certificate, your choice.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2020 05:46AM by Thrift Store Scott.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: May 28, 2020 05:22AM
A guy can never have too many kilts....
Date: May 28, 2020 06:59AM
....mini-skirt can work in a pinch.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2020 08:10AM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 28, 2020 08:07AM
At some point I want to get a kilt in my mother's tartan to surprise my wife. Of course I'll need to get the highland bod... lose 40 lbs, turn my 12 pack into a 6 pack, billowy shirt, long flowing hair, etc... Crap.. I'll have to lose about 40 years of age too. To the wayback machine !
Posted by: BernDog
Date: May 28, 2020 09:29AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2020 09:31AM by BernDog.
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 28, 2020 09:43AM
Not here. Don't have the legs for it.
Date: May 28, 2020 09:54AM
....wearing one also saves on wearing underwear.......

Posted by: d4
Date: May 28, 2020 10:18AM
MRF PSA:
You might get kilt banner ads for the next few days if you click on that link. Not that there's anything wrong with it. Just a heads up.

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: May 28, 2020 10:33AM
cbelt3
At some point I want to get a kilt in my mother's tartan to surprise my wife. Of course I'll need to get the highland bod... lose 40 lbs, turn my 12 pack into a 6 pack, billowy shirt, long flowing hair, etc... Crap.. I'll have to lose about 40 years of age too. To the wayback machine !

My youngest told me I have a 6 pack .... of pudding cups.
Date: May 28, 2020 11:00AM
macphanatic
cbelt3

My youngest told me I have a 6 pack .... of pudding cups.

A friend of mine who is a personal trainer and I were discussing another guy I met who claimed to be working as a personal trainer. I said I thought one of the prerequisites of that job was having a body that most if not all people would aspire to, specifically a flat, well-defined abdomen rather than an obvious "beer belly", to which my friend replied "You mean instead of a six-pack he's showing off a pony keg?".

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 28, 2020 11:49AM
Thrift Store Scott
A friend of mine who is a personal trainer and I were discussing another guy I met who claimed to be working as a personal trainer. I said I thought one of the prerequisites of that job was having a body that most if not all people would aspire to, specifically a flat, well-defined abdomen rather than an obvious "beer belly".

Actually not. You'd be surprised at how many folks who work out and want a personal trainer are quite happy to have someone who is 1) a competent athlete and teacher, 2) inspiring and energetic, and 3) relatable, which can mean that it's clear the trainer has also struggled with body shape and size, or possibly has come to a sense of ease and confidence with a larger, but still fit, body. I know multiple trainers whose physiques are far from society's ideal 'beach bod,' but they still get plenty of work!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2020 11:50AM by rjmacs.
Posted by: Don C
Date: May 28, 2020 11:26PM
A well made kilt feels different than a cheapie. It sways when you move in a way that cotton or rayon just cannot match, so I would not suggest using these as a trial.

If all you know is rotgut bourbon, you think that all bourbon is terrible, but the bad experience is the specific stuff, not the genre. A thin kilt does give you an experience that tells you whether you want to wear one.

A story from a fellow kilt wearer which is similar to my experience. First few times he wore a kilt, he would look out the window to make sure that no neighbors were likely to see him and he'd make a mad dash for the car. Later, he'd look out the window to make sure that neighbors would see him and then proudly march to the car.
Posted by: btfc
Date: May 29, 2020 12:10AM
Q: Why do Scotsmen wear kilts?

Oddly enough, I haven't.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 29, 2020 03:54AM
Nor do I intend to do so anytime in the foreseeable future.

But thanks for the information.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: May 29, 2020 05:45AM
Don C
A well made kilt feels different than a cheapie. It sways when you move in a way that cotton or rayon just cannot match, so I would not suggest using these as a trial.

I had wondered about that since wool is heavier and moves differently, for lack of a better term more "drape-y" than cotton and especially than acrylic faux wool.

Don C
If all you know is rotgut bourbon, you think that all bourbon is terrible, but the bad experience is the specific stuff, not the genre.

Agreed. I hated rum until I tried a brand other than Bacardi and found the kerosene-y, jet-fuel under-taste is a Bacardi thing, not a rum thing across the board.

Don C
A thin kilt does give you an experience that tells you whether you want to wear one.

I can see how it would. The thing is, I live in Alabama which temperature-wise is anything but "wool country", plus I'm hot-natured to boot so the danger of succumbing to spontaneous combustion while wearing wool anything is a genuine concern for me, hence my interest in the cotton kilts.

Semi-related, I did stumble across this easy-to-follow "How To" video on manually folding a kilt (technically a "plaid" for the uninitiated) - [www.youtube.com]

Don C
A story from a fellow kilt wearer which is similar to my experience. First few times he wore a kilt, he would look out the window to make sure that no neighbors were likely to see him and he'd make a mad dash for the car. Later, he'd look out the window to make sure that neighbors would see him and then proudly march to the car.

There ya go! If you're gonna march to your own drummer or do anything outside the mainstream, you can't pussyfoot around with it. Ya gotta be proud and own it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2020 05:45AM by Thrift Store Scott.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 310
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018