advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Home Contractor Payment Question
Posted by: Microman
Date: May 28, 2020 10:45AM
Contractor had a list of payments to be made at each point along the way. Framing, Pass Drywall, Pass Rough Plumbing and Electrical, etc.

Also this contractor has 'US" , pay for things like windows, base molding, Closet Door, Plumbing Fixtures, Toilet for this bathroom, etc... Tile for shower, Schluters, etc...

Included in the list of costs, is finish floor. There was going to be wood floor, maybe that plank hammer together stuff., but the person living there wants carpet so we had carpet put in.

Now the payment for the part of FINISH FLOOR was $5,000, and I assumed that since he didn't have to do any floor, and it was carpet, we would be ahead the $5,000 and what we spent for carpet was only $2,000.

Now the Contractor explains to me that this is just a incremental type of payment for the whole job, and apparently the title of each payment includes more than what he is describing in the contract.

In my talking with him, he asked for the full square footage of the house, and did some adding and figuring and said we would owe $2450 to finish the flooring line of the contract.

I can see charging something to put the base molding in, but in looking at the charges all along, and thinking each step we were paying for "what the line item says" and no flooring work was done...

Well, you get the idea, I thought we would be $5,000 ahead, on the bill

Thoughts.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Home Contractor Payment Question
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 28, 2020 10:57AM
What does the contract say?

Posted by: Gareth
Date: May 28, 2020 11:21AM
Microman
Now the Contractor explains to me that this is just a incremental type of payment for the whole job, and apparently the title of each payment includes more than what he is describing in the contract.

This, unfortunately. You'll need to negotiate a credit and decide when that is applied since you went with carpet instead of hardwood flooring. Not sure from the post if $5000 - $2450 = $2550 is the credit or not.

After my nightmare remodel, there's a whole list of things I would do differently, but I doubt I'd ever find a contractor that would agree to them - hopefully I never have to do another full remodel!
Posted by: Carm
Date: May 28, 2020 11:38AM
He must be hurting for cash or just wanted to come in the lowest bid by having you pay for materials separately. Anyways, he should be giving you a credit since materials/labor cost were lower. Expect to be charged more somewhere else to make up the cost of the “credit”, IF he gives you one (guy seems a little shady).

Edit: added labor

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2020 12:09PM by Carm.
Posted by: d4
Date: May 28, 2020 11:39AM
Laying down carpet is not as simple as rolling out a rug. Sure, it's not as labor intensive as installing wood flooring. But there is still labor involved. You were expecting the entire $5000 back? A free carpet install?

Date: May 28, 2020 01:07PM
I paid Home Depot separately myself for carpet which included the living room as well not just the hall and new bedroom which would have been contractors finish job

Home Depot for carpet and install around $1950

And he says for not doing any floor work the 5k goes dow to owing him $2450

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2020 02:19PM by Microman.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 28, 2020 01:51PM
>And he says for not doing any floor work the 5k goes dow to owing him $2450

Is that in writing in any form?

Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 28, 2020 01:59PM
So basically they want $2450 for installation of your provided carpeting?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 28, 2020 02:13PM
mikebw

No, he said home depot installed the carpeting. He wants $5k for doing nothing and is claiming the $5k for flooring wasn't just for flooring but he had other non floor related things bundled into that cost.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Gareth
Date: May 28, 2020 02:15PM
mikebw

That's not the way to think about it. The way to think about it, is that Microman is saving $2550 b/c he provided the carpeting and installation.

The way contractors put their payment terms is confusing for the client because they are tied to "milestones" in the project, but the payments for each milestone don't necessary correspond to the actual costs of that milestone.

It would be better to think of the payment terms as dates and percentages of the budget.
i.e.
Day 1 - 5%
Week 2 - 10%
Week 3 - 20%
Week 4 - 20%
Week 5 - 10%
Week 6 - 5%
Week 7 - 20%
Finish - 10%

But since there are always delays in construction, this might end up with you paying too much too early, so let's replace those dates with project milestones, and the percentages with the dollar amounts of the budget, and we're back to the confusing contractor payment terms where one might associate each milestone equaling the dollar amount associated with it!
Date: May 28, 2020 02:22PM
I think Gareth is on the correct tract. Now I have to think about it, in those terms.

Thanks Gareth., very well done..
Posted by: Carm
Date: May 28, 2020 07:49PM
Microman
I think Gareth is on the correct tract. Now I have to think about it, in those terms.

Thanks Gareth., very well done..
If that’s the case, he shouldn’t label it as such.... seems like he did... re: line item.
If he’s doing percent, then the overall cost should still be $5k less since he is not doing it/paying someone to do it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 268
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018