Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Good online business dictionary?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 28, 2020 05:25PM
I’m editing an old PP slide and there’s a link to businessdictionary.com

It shows the full path of the defined term but the site shows a generic looking page with a second .html weirdly appended to the URL.

Deleting the second .html and pressing Enter doesn’t work—takes you to the double .html URL. So you have to run a search there, and if you’re lucky you’ll see the same link you originally clicked on in the PP slide (only one .html) and that works. But those search results are somewhat obscured.

I realize the site probably doesn’t want people linking to individual definitions (for some misguided reason) but having to run a search there goes overboard by showing all sort of cruft.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Good online business dictionary?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 28, 2020 07:36PM
deckeda

It shows the full path of the defined term but the site shows a generic looking page with a second .html weirdly appended to the URL.

Deleting the second .html and pressing Enter doesn’t work...

What if you completely delete and recreate the link with the appropriate URL?

Date: May 28, 2020 09:59PM
Sarcany
deckeda

Do you mean type it by hand? What would be the difference? They probably just have the site coded to redirect to the same default page that looks like a unique URL although the double .html gives it away.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 28, 2020 10:24PM
deckeda
Sarcany
deckeda

Do you mean type it by hand? What would be the difference? They probably just have the site coded to redirect to the same default page that looks like a unique URL although the double .html gives it away.

I mean, delete the link in Powerpoint and then make a new link, inserting the correct URL.

The double-html thing seems very much like a classic glitch in Office apps where someone edits a link's associated text without editing the link. And what you're describing subsequently resembles a browser auto-complete issue where it's filling in the end of the URL from the cache of the last page you loaded from that site.

If you have a good link as a result from the search, use that to create a brand new link in the Powerpoint slide.

Businessdictionary.com is not obscuring their URLs.
[www.businessdictionary.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2020 10:25PM by Sarcany.
Date: May 29, 2020 08:09AM
“It’s all good now.”

No changes made tho. Must have been a weird glitch at the site. And I’ve already spent too much time worrying about this minor issue anyway.

I verified the link in the PP slide and it’s correct. And the link works today, as does the direct link using the browser’s history function.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 232
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018