advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need art tablet advice
Posted by: davemchine
Date: May 28, 2020 05:37PM
My youngest daughter will be 16 soon and she has requested an art tablet. I know NOTHING so I'm asking for advice here. She currently is using a MacBook Pro 2013, Clip Studio Paint, and a Huion art tablet. She also has a 2018 iPad Pro but she only uses that for the Procreate application.

She is requesting a Wacom Cintiq 16 Drawing Tablet with Screen (DTK1660K0A) which is about $650. Before shelling out the big bucks I want to make sure this is a good tablet and will work with her MacBook Pro 2013. We will most likely upgrade her to a 2019 or 2020 (whatever available) at christmas time. So I want to make sure it will work with both.

A little guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need art tablet advice
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 28, 2020 06:12PM
No apple pencil for the iPP?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: May 28, 2020 06:42PM
She does have an Apple Pencil for the iPad Pro. Both are the old style of course.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 28, 2020 07:54PM
I know of a couple of schools using Huion tablets that cost less than $100 and work with either a PC or Mac.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 28, 2020 07:55PM
Wacom tablets are arguably the best out there. I had a Wacom Intuos 2 for many many years, the mouse stopped working but the pen and tablet probably are still fine, aside from no updated drivers since 10.7.
Also had a Wacom Cintiq at work but again, no current drivers.

I guess the take away is the hardware will probably outlast the software support.

I would compromise and look at the Intuos line instead of Cintiq. It's cool to be able to draw on the screen, but unless this is a real money maker I don't think it's worth the extra expense.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 28, 2020 08:00PM
....not....tabula rasa........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2020 08:00PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: May 28, 2020 10:25PM
I use an XP-Pen 15.6 Artist Pro for my artwork. It has a laminated screen for relatively no parallexand the pen is very good. Comes with a stand and all cables. It compares favorably to the Wacom at a cheaper price: $449 and is sometimes on sale. It has a two year warranty.
XP-Pen
Or direct from xp-pen:Xp-pen direct
It’s Mac Catalina compatible and connects via USB-C, so you might need an adapter.
It has been very favorably reviewed and the customer service is beyond great. A friend has a 12” version and the video was getting flakey. He sent them a video of the problem and they shipped him a new replacement.

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]

[www.dudeism.com]
Posted by: Diana
Date: May 29, 2020 12:23AM
richorlin
I use an XP-Pen 15.6 Artist Pro for my artwork. It has a laminated screen for relatively no parallexand the pen is very good. Comes with a stand and all cables. It compares favorably to the Wacom at a cheaper price: $449 and is sometimes on sale. It has a two year warranty.
XP-Pen
Or direct from xp-pen:Xp-pen direct
It’s Mac Catalina compatible and connects via USB-C, so you might need an adapter.
It has been very favorably reviewed and the customer service is beyond great. A friend has a 12” version and the video was getting flakey. He sent them a video of the problem and they shipped him a new replacement.

Not trying to be dumb, but I’m sure the question will sound like it: why this and not something else? I’m looking for a deeper answer than simply cost or size.

Diana
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 29, 2020 12:27AM
davemchine
She does have an Apple Pencil for the iPad Pro. Both are the old style of course.

If that model works with Sidecar in Catalina it will do essentially the same as the Cintiq.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 199
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018