advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
TiVo Bolt+ - All 4 lights flashing on front.... Hard Drive Failure?
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: May 28, 2020 05:43PM
Well, based on my limited research online regarding all four LEDs constantly flashing on front of unit, appears to me the Hard Drive is dead.

In a very helpful recent PM, Gareth provided this one bit of information to me:

"For the Bolt, no PC is necessary unless you want to go over 3TB. Anything HD 3TB or less (2.5") and the Bolt will auto format it when it first boots up."[/i]

This particular TiVo Bolt I doubt is much older than two years. If the HD failed, surprising compared to hard drive performance I have had in TiVos of years in the past. Anyway...

Based on TiVo Bolt+ ability to reformat a new drive, anything in particular I need to look for in a drive? I believe drive in my TiVo Bolt+ is a 1TB. Can't imagine I need anything larger than that, but if a 2.5" 2TB is relatively cheap, then I can go for that. (I do have a 2.5" 5400rpm 2TB HD that recently came from OWC in a portable enclosure, maybe I can repurpose that if performance is sufficient. Maybe also see what Best Buy has tonight.) I will give TiVo a quick call and ask them if any specific specs are required.

Will be a bummer losing all the data on the TiVo drive, had a lot of good programs on there. I need to see how to back that up periodically in future.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2020 05:49PM by SKYLANE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: TiVo Bolt+ - All 4 lights flashing on front.... Hard Drive Failure?
Date: May 28, 2020 06:27PM
Just called TiVo, my TiVo Bolt+ does have a 3TB drive on it! I activated the unit almost 3 years ago in July 2017.

With TiVo rep, we pulled all cords off of TiVo Bolt+ and pulled Cable Card. Plugged power back to the unit with HDMI cable only. Still flashing LEDs. TiVo rep declared failed hardware right away = rep would not say if it was specifically HD or not. Surprisingly, TiVo rep told me today on phone that they will replace my TiVo Bolt+ for free! Likely refurb I am guessing, I am OK with that. They said they will transfer my Life Time to the new unit.

Option 1 is to send them my TiVo Bolt+ first (they send me ship[ing materials and shipper), then they ship replacement device once older unit arrives.

Option 2 is $500 deposit to ship new one first with return shipping materials. Then refund my deposit on receipt of old unit.

Now I am reluctant to screw around with that OWC 2TB HD since TiVo is willing to change my unit for free, with 3TB drive. I fear if I crack open the case to replace that drive and turns out to be a different problem, I may lose the free replacement option.

Bummer, I don't think there is anyway to retrieve info off the 3TB drive it was operable anyway. Anyone know?

TiVo gave me a Case Number since I told them I would call tomorrow on what option to proceed with.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2020 06:39PM by SKYLANE.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 28, 2020 06:47PM
Nice deal from TiVo! Good luck on the data retrieval.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: btfc
Date: May 28, 2020 06:50PM
I’ve used Tivo Transfer, which used to be included with Roxio Toast, to transfer recordings from a Tivo in the past, but I think that it has gone away. It might be possible to use kmttg to transfer, or Tivo Transfer for PC.

[sourceforge.net]

I haven’t tried to play with this for a few years, so YMMV!
Posted by: Gareth
Date: May 28, 2020 07:23PM
If the 3TB drive and TiVo were operational, then you could potentially offload the recordings to a computer - it depends on if the copyright flag is enabled or not, and a lot of cable channels use it now, leaving only network shows transferable.

If the 3TB drive is operational, but the TiVo is not, you're probably SOL on recordings. Although it looks like newer "beta" developments of MFS Tools allow hard drive upgrades while copying recordings, the problem is that you can't copy a drive and stick it in a new TiVo b/c the "encryption keys" won't match and you have to do a "delete all and restore" to get the drive to work, which would defeat the purpose.
[www.tivocommunity.com]
Date: May 28, 2020 10:48PM
Thanks for the inputs! You are all awesome! As usual!

I think my best deal is to get an updated unit with new drive! I think I am going to avoid the $500 payment on my VISA card and send them my unit first, and let them then send me a replacement unit. OPTION 1

I am still in disbelief that the replacement offer was made to me without even asking any questions about it. I figured it was going to be my problem to fix, so pleasantly surprised.

I will follow up on how the replacement process went.

Jeff
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: May 29, 2020 09:37AM
SKYLANE
Thanks for the inputs! You are all awesome! As usual!

I think my best deal is to get an updated unit with new drive! I think I am going to avoid the $500 payment on my VISA card and send them my unit first, and let them then send me a replacement unit. OPTION 1

I am still in disbelief that the replacement offer was made to me without even asking any questions about it. I figured it was going to be my problem to fix, so pleasantly surprised.

I will follow up on how the replacement process went.

Jeff

Yeah, officially an out-of-warranty replacement is $149, but the CSRs often cut that down to $49 or less as in your case.

I suspect there are known issues with your generation Bolt+ so you're getting a newer generation refurb.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 132
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018