advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Looking for a yard/woods grass that fits these criteria:
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 28, 2020 08:53PM
The yard and where the woods around it were look like a bomb hit after the pine trees were cut. It's starting to get depressing. I have no energy to do anything due to a medical condition and need to improve things. A neighbor cleaned the front yard up but I think he's done all he's going to do. I would like to just throw some grass or clover seed on the dirt and let it green up and cover up the small branches, leaves, pine needles, sawdust, etc. and let them melt back into the soil.

My rancher friend recommends Bermuda grass, but you have to take the dirt and I can't do that. There's nothing else we could think of that could be planted now. He said Dutch clover would be good but I'd need to wait until January.

The zone is on the line of 7 and 8. This won't be mowed and would probably be over seeded with clover later, maybe. Any ideas?

Clarification: This not yard grass and not real ground cover - just something to grow a few inches (quickly, hopefully) and make the ugly debris-covered soil look tolerable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2020 09:01PM by Dennis S.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Looking for a yard/woods grass that fits these criteria:
Posted by: btfc
Date: May 28, 2020 09:03PM
Bermuda grass is tough and spreads itself well, but can also be pretty invasive. I prefer to only plant native species of plants. Check with local nurseries and landscapers. Clover also spreads well, the critters like it, and it can enhance some soils, but some types are considered invasive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2020 09:06PM by btfc.
Date: May 28, 2020 09:12PM
I have to wait for winter for clover and likely everything else.
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: May 28, 2020 09:18PM
rye
Posted by: srf1957
Date: May 28, 2020 09:23PM
Contractors mix of grass seed . Mix of annual rye grass perineal rye grass and creeping red fescue .
Posted by: neophyte
Date: May 28, 2020 09:59PM
You might consider a fescue variety.
Date: May 28, 2020 10:15PM
I need to plant this in the next two weeks.
Posted by: btfc
Date: May 28, 2020 10:30PM
If you are in a hurry you might look at hydroseeding. Anything you put down will benefit by some site prep.
Date: May 29, 2020 12:21AM
Hydro seeding will cost too much. The ground is so debris covered I won't be able to do hardly any ground prep. I was hoping for a miracle solution. My neighbor may possibly use a tractor blade or bulldozer on it in the future, but I can't count on it. I'd hate to spend a lot of money hiring someone to cut limbs, burn them and then take the soil, only to have the machinery come in.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: May 29, 2020 12:28AM
srf1957
Contractors mix of grass seed . Mix of annual rye grass perineal rye grass and creeping red fescue .

smiley-laughing001

I'm guessing autocorrect intervened and you meant "perennial" instead of "perineal". Good suggestion nonetheless.

neophyte
You might consider a fescue variety.

Fescue is generally good, but some varieties can get really tall and will need frequent mowing. That's what we used to plant for hay, and it got 2 1/2 feet tall or so. It was fun watching the relatively small dogs bound through it like little fat antelopes, though.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

Stop and think about this: If you're able to shout the words "I CAN'T BREATHE!!!" at considerable volume, then you have just proven to anyone listening that you can indeed breathe.

"I don't see color, I just see ugly" - Joe Jitsukawa
Date: May 29, 2020 12:32AM
This can't be mowed for probably years.
Date: May 29, 2020 01:30AM
Dennis S
This can't be mowed for probably years.

Fescue might not be the way to go, then... unless you can find a particularly short variety.

Rather than, or at least in addition to landscapers, I'd call your local county agricultural extension office and ask what their recommendations are for planting the area, particularly native plants or grasses.

In the short term slinging a couple of bags of wildflower seed over the whole area couldn't hurt either, but since it's already almost June you'd probably want to go with the Fall variety mix if you have a choice.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

Stop and think about this: If you're able to shout the words "I CAN'T BREATHE!!!" at considerable volume, then you have just proven to anyone listening that you can indeed breathe.

Posted by: d4
Date: May 29, 2020 06:18AM
Out of curiosity, do you have before and after pics? And why did you cut down your trees in the first place if you didn't want clear space?

Posted by: modelamac
Date: May 29, 2020 08:41AM
Every reasonable and/or cheap solution we offer is going to be beyond your physical abilities. To solve your problem, you need outside help. Boy Scouts? 4H? FFA? You should have something you can offer in return.

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 29, 2020 09:30AM
If you don't do the prep, removing the debris, IMHO, you are just throwing your money away.
Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but good prep is at least 75%, probably higher, what you need to ensure that anything you plant grows and does well.
If you don't do anything, it will weed up on its own and cover as well as anything.
I know you want it to look better now, but unless you can get it cleared, you should just leave it as is and let nature take its course.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2020 09:30AM by rgG.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 29, 2020 10:46AM
Are you able to mow the area ? You can 'prep' by scalping down to the lowest level with a mower, bagging the debris or just scattering it on the yard. If you want to grow grass on top of the pine needles you will have to dump a lot of lime on the soil.... pine trees 'self mulch' by dropping very acidic needles that kill off undergrowth.

I handled the same situation at my inlaws house after we had to take down a couple of pine trees.
Date: May 29, 2020 10:57AM
Mowing is out of the question. It's like a tornado came through. Each square foot has broken branches of all sizes, pine needles, leaves, bark, and dirt clumps. A rake would do no good. A tractor would be too expensive. Clover would be a pretty good solution but I have to wait until winter for that. What I want is a heavy grass that can be planted in the summer and will take off without the ground having to be raked. And, that will cover the organic debris and let it break down until the clover can be used, if it's still needed.
Date: May 29, 2020 03:14PM
Dennis S
Mowing is out of the question. It's like a tornado came through. Each square foot has broken branches of all sizes, pine needles, leaves, bark, and dirt clumps. A rake would do no good. A tractor would be too expensive. Clover would be a pretty good solution but I have to wait until winter for that. What I want is a heavy grass that can be planted in the summer and will take off without the ground having to be raked. And, that will cover the organic debris and let it break down until the clover can be used, if it's still needed.

Pretty much any grass will need a clear/raked space to take hold and only vines will cover organic debris.

RgG's idea of just letting it weed up on it's own is by far the easiest one to implement and won't look any worse than trying to plant grass seeds amongst organic debris.

I take it you're going with a hard "No" on my wildflower idea, which would have the same net effect as rgG's suggestion except with the added bonus of guaranteed pretty blooms?

Posted by: rgG
Date: May 29, 2020 03:26PM
Couldn’t hurt to scatter a bag or two of wildflower seeds out there. You can usually get some big bags of a Wildflower Mix at HD, this time of year.

As Scott says, you might get some pretty flowers among the stuff that come up naturally.
If you can’t mow, wildflowers are your best bet to improve what will happen naturally, and you might help feed the pollinators.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: May 29, 2020 03:40PM
Thrift Store Scott
Dennis S

Pretty much any grass will need a clear/raked space to take hold and only vines will cover organic debris.

RgG's idea of just letting it weed up on it's own is by far the easiest one to implement and won't look any worse than trying to plant grass seeds amongst organic debris.

I take it you're going with a hard "No" on my wildflower idea, which would have the same net effect as rgG's suggestion except with the added bonus of guaranteed pretty blooms?

No, I'm going with a hard "Yes" with the wild flowers. I just filed it away in my head and forgot to respond.
Date: May 29, 2020 04:14PM
Dennis S
Thrift Store Scott
Dennis S

No, I'm going with a hard "Yes" with the wild flowers. I just filed it away in my head and forgot to respond.

Cool! An extra added bonus with those mixes is that sometimes you get an additional variety or two that aren't pictured on the bag.

Date: May 30, 2020 03:11PM
My brother is going to try burning some of it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 182
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020