Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
RIP: Anthony James [ actor ]......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 28, 2020 09:22PM
.....77.....of cancer.......

......the name may not be familiar but the face is recognizable....usually playing baddies....

Anthony James, Actor in 'Unforgiven' and 'In the Heat of the Night,' Dies at 77

He often played bad guys in a career bookended by those two appearances in Oscar-winning best pictures.

.....Anthony James, the lanky character actor who played sleazy, menacing types in such films as In the Heat of the Night, Unforgiven and High Plains Drifter, has died. He was 77.

James died Tuesday of cancer, according to an obituary announcement posted by a funeral home in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Remarkably, James' career was bookended by appearances in two best picture Oscar winners: He made his big-screen debut as Ralph Henshaw, a racist manning a diner counter, in Norman Jewison's In the Heat of the Night (1967), then wrapped things up as Skinny Dubois, a hostile owner of a bordello, in Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven (1992).

In between, the 6-foot-6 James appeared in Vanishing Point (1971), Hearts of the West (1975), as a spooky chauffeur in Burnt Offerings (1976), Blue Thunder (1983) and The Naked Gun 2 1/2: The Smell of Fear (1991), in which he parodied his evil image in an over-the-top performance.

An only child, James Anthony was born to Greek immigrants on July 22, 1942, in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. His father, George, built and owned a restaurant called The Mayflower but died when the boy was just 8.

When he was 18, he and his mother, Marika, took a train to Union Station in Los Angeles after selling all of the family possessions. He cleaned bathrooms to pay for acting lessons, then made his onscreen debut with a one-line role on a 1966 episode of NBC's T.H.E. Cat, starring Robert Loggia.

(He took the stage name Anthony James when he discovered there was another actor known as Jimmy Anthony.)

James appeared seven times on Gunsmoke — four as Elbert Moses — and also appeared on The Big Valley, Hawaii Five-O, Mod Squad, Police Story, Starsky and Hutch, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, The A-Team, Simon & Simon, Star Trek: The Next Generation and Married … With Children.

After retiring from acting in the mid-'90s, James, who never married, moved to the Boston area to focus on a career as an artist, and his abstract paintings were shown across the U.S. (He gifted one to Eastwood.) A book of his artwork and poems, Language of the Heart, was published in 1994.

In 2014, James published his memoirs, Acting My Face, which he dedicated to his mom. "I never considered myself a celebrity, just a sometime recognizable face," he said.

RIP...............................?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: RIP: Anthony James [ actor ]......
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 28, 2020 09:40PM
Nooooooo !!! Not him and Richard Hurd in the same week!

It's true he's known for playing baddies. But without a doubt, one of my favorite performances of his -- very haunting -- was in a couple of episodes of Buck Rogers from the 1980s, where he played a character who was mutated from his planet's having being irradiated, and wore a mask to conceal it.

Nice writeup and video of his career here: [www.thesun.ie]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: May 29, 2020 09:27AM
PeterB
But without a doubt, one of my favorite performances of his -- very haunting -- was in a couple of episodes of Buck Rogers from the 1980s, where he played a character who was mutated from his planet's having being irradiated, and wore a mask to conceal it.

That was EXACTLY my first thought. I knew him from other things. But I always remembered him as Varek in Buck Rogers.

Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 29, 2020 10:12AM
bazookaman
PeterB
But without a doubt, one of my favorite performances of his -- very haunting -- was in a couple of episodes of Buck Rogers from the 1980s, where he played a character who was mutated from his planet's having being irradiated, and wore a mask to conceal it.

That was EXACTLY my first thought. I knew him from other things. But I always remembered him as Varek in Buck Rogers.

They've been showing the Buck Rogers episodes on MeTV on Saturday nights. I wonder if they'll reshow these particular episodes as a tribute. (I hope so!) ...

For those of you who haven't seen the episodes, it's "Plot to Kill a City" (parts 1 and 2) ... and his performance in these episodes is at once haunting, sad, disturbing, inspiring, heroic ... remarkable range for an actor, admittedly the character was written that way, but it takes a talented actor to pull it off, and he does. Give the episodes a watch, and you'll see what I mean ... he takes a caricature or cardboard cutout of a character, and gives weighty emotional depth.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2020 11:16AM by PeterB.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 29, 2020 10:13AM
....remember that episode and his performance.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 29, 2020 03:20PM
Apparently this dude lived a few miles from me. Plenty of locals saw him, but I never did.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 218
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018