advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Unsolved Mystery: Why My Download Speed SO LOW?
Posted by: SteveO
Date: May 29, 2020 02:29PM
On both hardwired and wireless connection: been having intermittent speed problems with my 400 mbps connection. In the recent past it has been full speed+ on wired -- up to 430 at times. Past few months, wired (and in turn, wireless) speeds are dismal. Spectrum cable guy just left. His gizmo (a funky rectangular box) showed I was getting 400+ down. All their equipment and connections checked out fine for him. So why am I getting at best only 120 down wired on my gizmo? (Wireless is at about 60-70.)

My gizmo is a 2010 MBP 16/1tb ssd (with 300gb free) on El Cap. Testing with just Firefox open to the speedtest site, nothing else. Two other computers in our home ('09 MB and newish PC laptop) show similar results.

Restarted all equipment. Checked startup items to see if something might be stealing bandwidth, nope. Set Ethernet-->Hardware-->Manual/1000baseT/full duplex/MTU Standard 1500...no difference. (Was set to automatic before which defaulted to half duplex). Any advice is appreciated, thanks!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Unsolved Mystery: Why My Download Speed SO LOW?
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: May 29, 2020 04:36PM
Some background questions:

What is your router? (make, model) b/g/n/ac ?

What is your wireless environment?
* How many SSID's are showing when you click on the WiFi icon in the menu
* What is your signal strength?

(Wireless is half-duplex within a single frequency band)
(Crowded bands give lots of collisions, and timeouts for re-transmitting)

What is your DNS set (Network Preferences->Advanced->DNS tab)?
You should have your router IP address be the first choice (from the TCP/IP tab)
followed by a non-tracking public DNS :
9.9.9.9 (IBM/Quad9),
1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare),
1.0.0.1 (Cloudflare secondary),
208.67.222.222 (OpenDNS)
208.67.220.220 (OpenDNS secondary)
8.8.8.8 (Google),
8.8.4.4 (Google secondary)

run namebench (1.3.1 from [code.google.com] )
to get an assessment of fastest response times from name servers.
It's old (2010) but runs fine on El Cap.

Interested to see what your setup is..

=TC
Posted by: Carm
Date: May 29, 2020 05:27PM
I’ve always had issues creep up with Automatic DNS settings. Partial page loads, slow load times and other crap. Change DNS as a simple first step.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 29, 2020 05:57PM
All their equipment and connections checked out fine for him. So why am I getting at best only 120 down wired on my gizmo?

If you wire your 2010 MBP directly to the modem and then do the modem-dance -- power down the modem for a couple of minutes and then power it up again and then wait 5 minutes for it to re-establish a connection with the ISP -- what speed does the speed-test site report?

Posted by: space-time
Date: May 30, 2020 02:37AM
[192.168.100.1]

look at the SIGNAL or STATUS page, what is the Power and SNR values for downstream and upstream channels?

EDIT: here is my modem, these are good values, I was having a bad cable which they replaced last year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2020 02:42AM by space-time.
Date: May 30, 2020 10:51AM
VERY much appreciate all these comments and q's -- I will investigate them all this afternoon. Right now am in the middle of shooting a bike safety video for kids.

Update on the wired connection to HP laptop: it's pushing 500+ down via ethernet cable, so it's not on Spectrum, it's on me. (I had HP setting wrong yesterday) Switched the wired ethernet to my mbp a few moments later and it gave me same dismal 120 down. Separately, I believe I also have an issue with my tp-link router as it pushed ~200 for the wireless connection to the HP in same room -- better than the 60ish to my MBP, but still far too much of a drop vs the 500 wired speed.

I will investigate your questions this pm here and get back in this thread with answers, THANKS THANKS THANKS GUYS!
Date: May 30, 2020 11:34AM
TheCaber
What is your router? (make, model) b/g/n/ac ?

What is your wireless environment?
* How many SSID's are showing when you click on the WiFi icon in the menu
* What is your signal strength?

Wireless clients are: wife's work laptop, my '10 MBP, '09 MB, recent HP laptop. The last two are not in use very often, and usually not when I'm online with my MBP. There's also a Roku 3 pulling signal, but that was in use back when I had 400+ down on my MBP, so I don't know that it would be diminishing my network now...the HP laptop shows 500+ down with the Roku "on" but not "active" -- TV off, not watching anything.

Router is TP Link AC1200 5ghz gigabit MU-MIMO. Seven other networks showing in WiFi menu icon. Signal strength is very strong: all bars showing. Testing about 10' from router.

TheCaber
What is your DNS set (Network Preferences->Advanced->DNS tab)?
You should have your router IP address be the first choice (from the TCP/IP tab)
followed by a non-tracking public DNS :
9.9.9.9 (IBM/Quad9),
1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare),
1.0.0.1 (Cloudflare secondary),
208.67.222.222 (OpenDNS)
208.67.220.220 (OpenDNS secondary)
8.8.8.8 (Google),
8.8.4.4 (Google secondary)

run namebench (1.3.1 from [code.google.com] )
to get an assessment of fastest response times from name servers.

MBP WiFi shows:
DNS Servers
nothing else showing in either DNS or Search Domains window in that Advanced -->DNS tab

MBP Wired ethernet, with modem unplugged for 9 minutes and all cords disconnected:
[removed photo]
note I switched Network-->Ethernet-->Hardware back to "Automatically" this morning b/c manually/half duplex etc from my OP didn't seem to help

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2020 12:23PM by SteveO.
Date: May 30, 2020 11:54AM
Date: May 30, 2020 11:57AM
Sarcany
All their equipment and connections checked out fine for him. So why am I getting at best only 120 down wired on my gizmo?

If you wire your 2010 MBP directly to the modem and then do the modem-dance -- power down the modem for a couple of minutes and then power it up again and then wait 5 minutes for it to re-establish a connection with the ISP -- what speed does the speed-test site report?

100mbps down after powering down 9 minutes and waiting 10+ minutes to speed test. edit: Connected via ethernet direct to modem.

Wireless clients also include a couple iPhones that again, have been in use with HP lappy pulling 500 down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2020 12:04PM by SteveO.
Date: May 30, 2020 11:58AM
Carm
I’ve always had issues creep up with Automatic DNS settings. Partial page loads, slow load times and other crap. Change DNS as a simple first step.

I don't know what this means. Change DNS to what? Sorry, I'm techy but not to that extent.
Date: May 30, 2020 12:03PM
space-time
[192.168.100.1]

look at the SIGNAL or STATUS page, what is the Power and SNR values for downstream and upstream channels?

Thanks but this page refuses to load. Tried 3 times:
The server at 192.168.100.1 is taking too long to respond.

EDIT: Modem is likely fine. HP lappy shows 500+ down wired directly into modem.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2020 12:13PM by SteveO.
Date: May 30, 2020 12:17PM
Note I also had Open DNS active in login items, but turned it off yesterday thinking it may make a difference. It did not make a difference.
Date: May 30, 2020 12:27PM
note in my post above:

SteveO
MBP Wired ethernet, with modem unplugged for 9 minutes and all cords disconnected:
[removed photo]

I removed that photo b/c I wasn't sure if I should post my wired DNS in a public forum. As I say, I'm unsure if I'm answering/understanding some of the questions. Please lmk what is proper and okay, though, I am a fast learner.
Date: May 30, 2020 01:54PM
SteveO
Sarcany

100mbps down after powering down 9 minutes and waiting 10+ minutes to speed test. edit: Connected via ethernet direct to modem...

With the HP working normally, this tends to point to one of three things... 1. A hardware problem with the Mac; 2. A software setting on the Mac; 3. Software running on the Mac screwing with your network-connection.

1. Could be as simple as a bad Ethernet cable. Did you use the same cable when testing both the HP and the Mac?

Could also be that the Ethernet port is failing. I have an 08 that can't negotiate a Gigabit connection anymore.

2. Wipe your network-settings: Take the entire contents of the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder and drag it to the trash, then reboot.

3. Launch the Activity Monitor. Click on the Network tab. Look at the bottom for packets in/out and that neat little graph. If you're not loading web pages, streaming video or audio, etc, then you should have almost no activity showing. If you've got a lot of network traffic then something's running on your Mac that's hitting your network connection and slowing it down.

Are you running antivirus software? Live-file scans can mess with Internet transfers.

Have you checked for malware? If not, then install Malwarebytes and run a scan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2020 01:57PM by Sarcany.
Date: May 30, 2020 04:15PM
1. Could be as simple as a bad Ethernet cable. Did you use the same cable when testing both the HP and the Mac? [/quote]

Yep, same cable each machine. Doesn't seem to be the cable. Also had switched out ethernet cable yesterday thinking that may be it. No change.

Could also be that the Ethernet port is failing. I have an 08 that can't negotiate a Gigabit connection anymore.
Possible...but also, there is a much larger wifi slowdown on the MBP than on the HP. Which makes me think it's likely not an ethernet issue...or if it is, there's also something else afoot.

2. Wipe your network-settings: Take the entire contents of the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder and drag it to the trash, then reboot.

Hmm. Cannot find this folder title in /Libary/Preferences. In: Finder>Go>hold down option key>Library>Preferences ...do not see SystemConfiguration listed as a folder, or anything else. Did a search on my MBP and also did not find it. Am I looking in wrong place, or might it go by different name in El Cap?

3. Launch the Activity Monitor. Click on the Network tab. Look at the bottom for packets in/out and that neat little graph. If you're not loading web pages, streaming video or audio, etc, then you should have almost no activity showing. If you've got a lot of network traffic then something's running on your Mac that's hitting your network connection and slowing it down.

Not sure how to read this, but perhaps you can tell me if it looks normal.

Are you running antivirus software? Live-file scans can mess with Internet transfers.
Have you checked for malware? If not, then install Malwarebytes and run a scan.

No AV running, dl'd MalwareBytes 4.4.11 today (I had an older version before due to being on Mavs until I went to El Cap about 3-4 weeks ago), nothing detected. I ran older version when I upgraded to El Cap, found nothing. MalwareBytes was not running in background (at least not on purpose as my free trial had run out), either. It is now running in background for premium free trial purposes. I know that can slow things down but I just ran Fast.com speed and it shows about same: 150 down on MBP, 210 on HP.

Thanks again for any advice, all.
Date: May 30, 2020 04:31PM
SteveO

Possible...but also, there is a much larger wifi slowdown on the MBP than on the HP. Which makes me think it's likely not an ethernet issue...or if it is, there's also something else afoot.

Hmmm...

SteveO

Hmm. Cannot find this folder...

Wrong "Library" folder. This one is at the root of your drive. Not the one hidden in your Home folder.

Date: May 30, 2020 04:34PM
SteveO
Carm

I don't know what this means. Change DNS to what? Sorry, I'm techy but not to that extent.

Do you mean: enter new DNS numbers in Wifi->DNS->DNS Servers?

The one showing on my MBP--Wifi is 192.168.0.1 which I understand to be my wireless router. I did some googling...since I am only ever on a wired connection to troubleshoot speed issues...it seems that I should go log into my wireless router settings, and add a couple sets like OpenDNS or others that TheCaber had listed? And if I understand that right, it will serve up those faster/private/etc DNS addys to all the clients on my wireless network, correct?

And then go into Wifi-DNS-and just leave my wireless router addy there? Don't need to add more as the router will search the ones I entered internally into it (paragraph above), correct?

And then I can also go into Ethernet-DNS and do the same, but type in the Open DNS addys first there, correct? So all that Ethernet lists is the OpenDNS addys?

Should I add anything in "Search Domains" window in any of these, or leave blank? Thanks!
Posted by: Carm
Date: May 30, 2020 06:19PM
SteveO
SteveO
Carm

Do you mean: enter new DNS numbers in Wifi->DNS->DNS Servers?

The one showing on my MBP--Wifi is 192.168.0.1 which I understand to be my wireless router. I did some googling...since I am only ever on a wired connection to troubleshoot speed issues...it seems that I should go log into my wireless router settings, and add a couple sets like OpenDNS or others that TheCaber had listed? And if I understand that right, it will serve up those faster/private/etc DNS addys to all the clients on my wireless network, correct?

And then go into Wifi-DNS-and just leave my wireless router addy there? Don't need to add more as the router will search the ones I entered internally into it (paragraph above), correct?

And then I can also go into Ethernet-DNS and do the same, but type in the Open DNS addys first there, correct? So all that Ethernet lists is the OpenDNS addys?

Should I add anything in "Search Domains" window in any of these, or leave blank? Thanks!
Yes one of the DNS servers posted. I use Open DNS. When I had spectrum, their DNS servers always have given me problems eventually. Routers sometimes revert DNS server to the router IP address. I always manually change it to prevent any problems. I always leave search domain blank.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2020 06:20PM by Carm.
Date: June 02, 2020 04:14PM
Okay I found the right Library and emptied what I could from SystemConfiguration...it gave me a message that said a few are root items or something and could not be deleted. Restarted. Waited 5-10 minutes. Same poor speed.

Changed all DNS in router, ethernet and wifi to OpenDNS primary and secondary. Still no difference. Will try a complete power down of all and check again.

Thanks, guys.

Sarcany
SteveO

Hmmm...

SteveO

Hmm. Cannot find this folder...

Wrong "Library" folder. This one is at the root of your drive. Not the one hidden in your Home folder.
Date: June 02, 2020 05:34PM
Same same. Blah.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 114
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018