advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
one big plus about working from home
Posted by: wurm
Date: May 31, 2020 05:13PM
Just came back from filling up with gas. Prices for regular ranged from $1.859 to 2.059. Filled up my little Prius C, just because I figured I ought to and it's a beautiful day out there today. I put a little under 7 gallons in it. Curious, I looked to see the last time I filled up and it was May 2. Just under 300 miles in a little less than a month. I normally would put 300 miles on the car in about 3 and a half days.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: one big plus about working from home
Posted by: Rolando
Date: May 31, 2020 07:10PM
wurm
Just came back from filling up with gas. Prices for regular ranged from $1.859 to 2.059. Filled up my little Prius C, just because I figured I ought to and it's a beautiful day out there today. I put a little under 7 gallons in it. Curious, I looked to see the last time I filled up and it was May 2. Just under 300 miles in a little less than a month. I normally would put 300 miles on the car in about 3 and a half days.

You might want to take you car and get that gas engine running at least once a month.

I don't have an Prius, would a gas stabilizer be useful?

I take my Mazda for a 50 mile drive at least once a week to keep the battery from running down. Due to a family emergency last weekend, I took her about 500 miles from San Antonio to the Rio Grande Valley and back!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 31, 2020 07:56PM
I went to Costco TWICE today. for the first time in almost 3 Months! I used plenty of protective equipment, I even removed my normal glasses and used some larger protection goggles (they didn't fit well over my normal glasses).

there were NO LINES at the gas station. Very unusual.

I plan to stay away for another 2-3 months now.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 31, 2020 07:57PM
For my Prius, I'm buying 20 gal at a time, usually the total bill is $15-20 or so... I'm using fuel stabilizer, and that gas lasts me 3-6 months.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Date: May 31, 2020 07:59PM
for my Volt, I am guying 6-8 gallons at a time (I believe the entire tank is 9?) and that fuel should last me one 6 months or more.
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 31, 2020 10:09PM
Rolando
I take my Mazda for a 50 mile drive at least once a week to keep the battery from running down.

huh? is there something wrong with your mazda?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 31, 2020 10:19PM
What Prius holds 20 gallons?
PeterB
For my Prius, I'm buying 20 gal at a time, usually the total bill is $15-20 or so... I'm using fuel stabilizer, and that gas lasts me 3-6 months.
Posted by: Don C
Date: May 31, 2020 10:45PM
I have found it frustrating watching gas prices go down because I filled up both cars when prices were at what are now relatively high prices and sure don't have to fill up again any time soon. Of course, not having to buy gas at all is better than buying cheap gas, but it "hurts" to pass those prices.
Date: May 31, 2020 11:37PM
jdc
Rolando
I take my Mazda for a 50 mile drive at least once a week to keep the battery from running down.

huh? is there something wrong with your mazda?

My original battery died last year. I spoke to a mechanic friend. Modern cars have so much electronics that they need a a good commute to really charge them up, and my daily <10 mile each way wasn't doing it, especially combined with Texas Heat.

Besides, I love driving my car on a country road!

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 31, 2020 11:57PM
Must be something with your Mazda... for giggles I just jumped in my wifes 2016 (modern?) volvo s60. Hasnt been started in a least 2 months... started on first kick.

If you are that concerned... perhaps one of those jump start battery packs. I put one in both our cars... although I have yet to use it on our cars, Ive jumped several others. And will charge ipads/iphones.

[www.amazon.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 01, 2020 12:19AM
My car will sit for one to two months, and starts like I just drove it 5min ago.

The battery must be five years old.

A good battery should be 'full up' with a 20min freeway speed run.

Obviously, the bigger the battery, the better in maintains starting ability.

And even after two to three months of solely riding my bike, stale gas has not been a problem ever for my car.

But if you like driving, any excuse to do so will do.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 01, 2020 02:04AM
Don C
I have found it frustrating watching gas prices go down because I filled up both cars when prices were at what are now relatively high prices and sure don't have to fill up again any time soon. Of course, not having to buy gas at all is better than buying cheap gas, but it "hurts" to pass those prices.

You want frustrating, drive 60 miles outside of Seattle and watch prices have plummeted. A full tanker could do one round trip a day into Seattle and make a gross profit of about 6 grand. Prices are rigged by people far more powerful than the lawmakers. And it is NOT based on differing taxes.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Date: June 01, 2020 06:02AM
anonymouse1
What Prius holds 20 gallons?
PeterB

true, but the real questions is where is gas $0.75-$1.00?

my guess is this was a typo, maybe be meant 10 gallos
Posted by: DP
Date: June 01, 2020 06:25AM
Rolando just needs a trickle charger, not a jumper. But maybe he just likes taking a Sunday drive in that Miata! Right? It's a Miata, right?

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: rz
Date: June 01, 2020 06:38AM
We drove out to the coast to see the rocket launch this weekend. It was the furthest I've driven in over two months. I filled up last sometime in late March. Tank is still over half filled.
Date: June 01, 2020 07:03AM
DP
Rolando just needs a trickle charger, not a jumper. But maybe he just likes taking a Sunday drive in that Miata! Right? It's a Miata, right?

Not quite! Its Mazda3 Hatch with the 2.5 and stick!

Posted by: sunfalcon
Date: June 01, 2020 08:12AM
I drive about 2500 miles/month. Since March 15th, I've driven a little over 1,000 miles. Only put $10 in gas into my car in April. Crazy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2020 08:12AM by sunfalcon.
Date: June 01, 2020 08:27AM
I'm down to about 3 miles a week.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: wurm
Date: June 01, 2020 08:38AM
Rolando
wurm

You might want to take you car and get that gas engine running at least once a month.

I don't have an Prius, would a gas stabilizer be useful?

I take my Mazda for a 50 mile drive at least once a week to keep the battery from running down. Due to a family emergency last weekend, I took her about 500 miles from San Antonio to the Rio Grande Valley and back!

Oh, I drive it daily. I'm just not driving that blasted 85 mile commute each day. And coincidentally, I just proactively replaced the 8 year old 12v battery about a month and a half ago. No worries. No complaints. Just sharing a random thought.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: June 01, 2020 11:07AM
Plenty of solar maintainers you can stick on top of the dash if you park outdoors like me...
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 01, 2020 12:15PM
My car sat in the garage so much that a chipmunk squatter moved in and started legal proceedings to claim the property.
Date: June 01, 2020 07:32PM
These days, evictions are illegal in many cities/states. You just might need to buy a new car.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 123
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018