advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Late 2013 MBP 15" keyboard replacement Q
Posted by: reezekeys
Date: June 02, 2020 08:26AM
Two keys on my late-2013 15” MacBook Pro’s keyboard stopped working: function and tab. I just ordered & received a replacement top case from Ebay. It’s the case with keyboard only – no trackpad or battery. I’m not sure if the speakers are included (haven’t opened the box yet).

Looking at iFixit, this is not a quick job. My question is this: would you transplant your existing battery & trackpad into this new top case (which the iFixit guides describe), or transplant the keyboard only from this new top case into your existing top case? I see no guide anywhere for just removing/replacing the keyboard assembly by itself, but it seems to me – and I could be wrong – that by transplanting the keyboard only into my existing top case, I would avoid having to remove the glued-in battery. That seems a huge time & trouble saver.

Anyone been down this road before? TIA for tips/advice!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Late 2013 MBP 15" keyboard replacement Q
Posted by: Gareth
Date: June 02, 2020 08:38AM
ifixit sells just the keyboard, so it must be doable. [www.ifixit.com]

I’ve done just the keyboard on pre-retina where it’s just a bunch of tiny screws to deal with. The problem with the retinas is that they use tiny rivets instead, which you then have to replace with screws. [www.ifixit.com]
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 02, 2020 08:59AM
I revived two dying arrow keys by replacing the little silicone bubble underneath. The old bubbles had torn and stopped bouncing back. Super-glued in a "new" bubble. That's "new" as in scavenged from another keyboard by an eBay seller.
Date: June 02, 2020 09:31AM
Ahh, right you all are. I should have searched a little more. Gareth's iFixit link led me to a youtube that explained the deal with the screws. No wonder most people go with the whole top case. And I would need to take the battery out in any case, since my "new" top case didn't come with a trackpad.

Now I'm thinking I should get a new battery since mine is original and not doing well. This would be a good time to replace it. I would still need to hassle with removing the old one – to get to my trackpad – but I wouldn't be worrying as much about my existing top case while doing the removal.

Acer, thanks for the tip on reviving bum keys. Great for future reference but at this point I should go with this "new" case, I think – look at the key tops compared to mine!

Thank you everybody for your quick and helpful advice!

[edit to add – I remapped my non-working function and tab keys with an excellent utility called Karabiner-Elements. There were a few function keys I never use, so I remapped to those. Works great and my computer has been fully usable while I'm waiting to do my big fix. Available here.]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2020 10:12AM by reezekeys.
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 02, 2020 01:29PM
That keymapping utility looks awesome. Would have been helpful with an older media center laptop over many years, instead I just avoided passwords that used the defective keys!
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 02, 2020 02:44PM
That keyboard has seen some action. I'd go with a new one, too.
Date: June 02, 2020 02:55PM
This computer wouldn't win a beauty contest, that's for sure – but what a workhorse. I guess it's time to start researching batteries.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2020 02:56PM by reezekeys.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 03, 2020 01:04AM
reezekeys
This computer wouldn't win a beauty contest, that's for sure – but what a workhorse. I guess it's time to start researching batteries.

Basically NewerTech from OWC, a possibly new old stock Apple battery, or sketchy chinese generic replacement.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Date: June 03, 2020 08:29AM
I just remembered – I bought a replacement battery on Amazon a few years ago, never got around to installing it though! It's probably toast now.

Louis Rossmann's site sells a battery he claims is superior to the "Ebay crap" for around $75. I'll look at OWC. The generic Chinese ones start at around $60 – another $15 for peace of mind is a no-brainer. Gotta trust Louis, right?!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 246
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018