advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
HBO MAX question
Posted by: Randalls
Date: June 02, 2020 06:55PM
Confused on how Xfinity allows free access to HBO MAX if you currently have HBO. I can use my Xfinity sign in to access the app on IPad or Phone but I can not figure out how to see it on Cable or Roku on TV. When I signed in through the app it wanted to link through Apple TV which I declined. What am I missing here? Seems a bit convoluted.
Should I have linked to Apple TV? I was afraid I would get hit with charges
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: HBO MAX question
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 02, 2020 08:06PM
....if you have HBO now....you are granted access to HBO Max, no extra charge......however, HBO Max is a streaming service that requires it's own app......you can't access on Xfinity or Cable directly.....

....to access on Roku, Apple TV, iPhone, iPad.....you have to download the new HBO Max app........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: June 02, 2020 08:36PM
Yes, downloaded the HBO MAX app and view on the iPad BUT it is not in the Roku store.
The movie I want to see is ‘Linda Ronstadt, The Sound of My Voice’ which I can stream only through the phone or iPad. I searched HBO and HBO Now and it is not listed. Amazon Prime wants $3.99 to rent. There is NO HBO Max listed on my Roku 3 streaming options. HBO Go and HBO Now Do not have it.

The only vaguely worded advice when using the iPad was that I had to link it through Apple TV to watch on my TV but when I use Apple TV through my Roku It wants $4.99 to watch the movie. So there is NO HBO Max available, I don’t know how to link HBO Max THROUGH Apple TV on the Roku. It should not be this difficult. What am I missing here (besides the movie).

I have read and re-read the inter webs for instructions to no avail

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2020 08:44PM by Randalls.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: June 02, 2020 08:45PM
No HBO Max on any Roku at this time, with no statements as to if or when it will be.

Big flap about this in the Roku owner community*: [community.roku.com]

*25 pages worth of comments and counting. Despite the "solved" declaration from Roku, it ain't.
Date: June 02, 2020 08:58PM
Yes, I see it now. HBO Max will be available on a wide variety of devices, including phones, tablets, the web, connected TVs and game consoles. ... Most Apple devices that can stream video will support HBO Max -- iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD.

The incomplete info mentioned Apple TV but I thought they meant streaming on the Roku. Apparently they meant I should go buy the physical unit if I wanted to ever have any hopes in seeing their add ons. Nice of them (Xfinity/HBO Max) to make it so clear. Thanks for the info
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: June 02, 2020 11:11PM
For the first time in 20 years, two weeks ago I subscribed to HBO (HBO Now) on my Roku, so I could watch a few things.
I had the App on my iPad and my Roku. For a while it was great. I was considering even renewing my subscription.
This afternoon, I ran into exactly what you did... my iPad forced me to "upgrade" to HBO Max. Now there are things I would like to watch on my Roku that are in my watch list on the iPad.... but, there is no App for the Roku.

So, for the second time in 20 years, I'm dumping HBO... Chimps with typewriters could have gotten this right - you roll out your upgraded app for ALL platforms simultaneously, or not at all.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: June 02, 2020 11:47PM
So they are apparently finger pointing but no official statements on why the delay $$$
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: June 03, 2020 08:12AM
I just cancelled HBO Now yesterday. Felt good, real good.

Date: August 06, 2020 07:39AM
Update to HBO Max issue. Bought the Apple DVI to Lightning converter for $45 at Wally World and can now mirror HBO Max from the phone to my HDMI input on the TV. Kind of an old school fix to get this channel but works for now. This unit also has an extra lightening plug for charging. Something I had not thought of at the time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 254
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020