advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I really ought to know this (photo printing)
Posted by: wurm
Date: June 04, 2020 07:52AM
I cobbled together a certificate type document in Word and printed it out here at home to see how it looks. I had to snag a logo off the web, so it's far from ideal, but I think it's passable. Now I'm thinking of bringing the file to the local CVS kiosk to have it printed on photo paper. I figure it's a cheap enough experiment. And yes, I understand I'll have to check a box that says I own the copyright to all the material, but it's for one recipient, so I'll take the chance. So, a couple of questions.

1. Am I better off bringing the file as a Word .doc or as a .pdf or does it even matter?
2. I put it together and printed it on a regular 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper. I'm going to have to print it as either a 4x6, 5x7, 6x8, 8x10. Is it likely to look better or worse shrunk down if I choose a smaller size?

Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I really ought to know this (photo printing)
Posted by: digby
Date: June 04, 2020 08:37AM
I know that "real" printers want pdf's. In fact, had a printer say:

"When someone casually mentions 'Oh, and, it's a Word doc', we go on high alert. It's like we're air traffic controllers handling a line of Boeings, and suddenly a handmade plane shows up. We know there'll be color and maybe even formatting problems, and things can even move on the page from what the client expected."

But with a CVS kiosk you won't get to be too picky. So I'd take both formats, on two different drives, just to save a trip back home if one format or drive doesn't work.

Good luck!
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: June 04, 2020 08:39AM
PDF

Size going down shouldn't be a problem for resolution, but readability is another thing.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: archipirata
Date: June 04, 2020 08:50AM
Pdf is going to be your best bet to make sure the layout is locked in how you want it.

With a word doc, opening it on a different machine, different OS, different version of word, there are lots of ways the formatting can go wonky.

To be sure it looks good at the smaller size, shrink it down and print one at home first. Depending on your printer, somewhere in the print dialogue should be a % size option that you can change. Print it a 50% size and see how it looks.

Athens, OH
Posted by: Dik2
Date: June 04, 2020 09:52AM
I think they want a jpg
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 04, 2020 11:07AM
Dik2
I think they want a jpg

This. Doubtful they take a PDF.

Id just send it over the web to the store thru their interface and pickup later.

Be advised the "photo" paper is glossy. Im pretty sure they have paper options...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: June 04, 2020 11:35AM
Thanks for the replies, all. Good idea to try to print smaller here first to check readability, etc. It's just black and white, but it's a good sized logo; white type on black background.

I'll try converting to .jpg, just to make sure I have all options covered.

I thought of the 'order online, pick up in store' option, but if they balk at the possible copyright infringement aspect, I might be sol.

I don't (think I'll) mind glossy. But we shall see.
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 04, 2020 06:15PM
[cvsphoto.zendesk.com]
Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 06, 2020 12:51AM
Why not send it from the CVS website? They will tell you when It will be ready!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: June 06, 2020 01:49PM
Rolando
Why not send it from the CVS website? They will tell you when It will be ready!

Yep, I decided to do just that this morning as jdc had suggested. I did convert the .pdf to .jpg, but I should have seen if they'd accept the .pdf. Oh well. Next time. Picked it up a few hours ago. It's far from beautiful, but I didn't expect a whole lot. And it's fine for my purposes. It was a whopping $.21 for the 4x6 (after coupon and tax), so I guess I could have splurged and tried a 5x7. It'll be fine. Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 234
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018