advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
School me on ICloud Syncing and change to “high efficiency” photos?
Posted by: Randalls
Date: June 04, 2020 10:12AM
Got a pop up on my 6th gen iPad that said “Camera Format Changed to High Efficiency your Mac is no longer syncing with iCloud photos, camera will capture in high efficiency Format”.
I googled it, checked my settings in iCloud and in photos “save to iCloud” and see 160gb left in storage. Can someone clue me in on this pop up and how to resync?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: School me on ICloud Syncing and change to “high efficiency” photos?
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: June 04, 2020 03:33PM
I am not using the iCloud photo feature, so I don’t understand its pitfalls. Maybe there’s something here that could help.

[support.apple.com]

[www.cnet.com]
Date: June 04, 2020 04:51PM
I will check it out. The whole point of paying for the extra storage (besides back up) is storing my large cache of photos and being able to access them on phone, Mac or iPad
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 04, 2020 06:09PM
I never ran into this issue, but I do recall reading about a new file format

[en.wikipedia.org]
Posted by: datbeme
Date: June 04, 2020 11:05PM
The HEIF format is roughly half the size of JPEG, so it's more efficient for cloud syncing. But it can be an unexpected headache if you don't have the right software to translate. Last year, I think I had to upgrade to High Sierra (for it's version of Photos) to be able to work with some images from my wife's phone.
Date: June 05, 2020 07:06AM
I guess I should unlink syncing from an older MBP. It would be great if they could warn/tell you about this issue before it defaults to it. So it appears somewhere there is a system conflict. The phone and iPad are updated so they no longer play nice with my older laptop

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2020 07:08AM by Randalls.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 06, 2020 12:53AM
My question would be if you are OS up to date on all devices? Sounds like the Mac is on an older version.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 241
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018