advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need Tip on good AC air filter for House, remember a post a while back
Posted by: Microman
Date: June 05, 2020 08:22AM
There was a post a while back, about AC filter, that said the quality of these were good and mentioned the rating in meres? or something... Searched buy could not find. I need to order some, and wouldn't mind stepping up quality for a good price...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need Tip on good AC air filter for House, remember a post a while back
Posted by: graylocks
Date: June 05, 2020 08:36AM
was it Nordic Pure from amazon? i chimed in on that post a week or so ago.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 05, 2020 08:47AM
I've been using Nordic Pure MERV 8 filters. If Pet Dander is an allergy issue, then you can go with MERV 10. Higher than that can cause issues for your system.

Nordic Pure are affordable, highly rated filters. I went with MERV 8 because it allowed efficient airflow while filtering out what I cared about. When I was researching filters I found that many air handlers struggle with the high MERV ratings as airflow is restricted considerably. That can damage your system, increase your bills, and reduce the efficiency of cooling/heating your home.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: graylocks
Date: June 05, 2020 09:08AM
i use Merv 12 Nordic Pure. my son has asthma and allergies. it’s not caused system issues in the 8 years i’ve used them.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 05, 2020 10:30AM
It might not be worth it to add it to an older central system, but having an electrostatic precipitator can do most of what a MERV 12+/13 filter does.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: June 05, 2020 09:22PM
My neighbor owns an HVAC company and highly recommends that you not use pleated filters in your systems. He said it restricts the air flow too much. I had them in ours because they were out of the regular flat type old style filters at the local supply. Our system iced up, the inside A coil and the outside lines at the unit. I removed the filters as they were getting fairly dirty, vacuumed out two older filters and put them in and just turned the blower fan on until it melted the ice off the A coil inside and it was ok for a week. I wanted him to check the freon which I figured was a bit low. It was not really hot enough until about 5 days after I called him to get a good check on the load it was pulling. The system was almost 3 lbs. low which is quite a bit. Luckily he's a great guy and didn't charge me a fortune for no longer available R22. He tried to find the leak but had no luck. I used to do that type work and like he said sometimes you can hunt for a leak for an entire day and not find it even with his electronic detector.

Grateful11
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 119
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020