advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Desperate iPhone Backups Question: O BROTHER WHEREART THOU?
Posted by: SteveO
Date: June 05, 2020 04:26PM
On a '10 MBP on El Cap 1tb SSD with 300gb free, and 2016 iPhone SE 128gb with 12gb free on iOS 13:

TLDR: I backed up my phone to iTunes at 2:30 and then again at 3:30 today. 3:30 backup shows up fine in iTunes. But where the bleep is the 2:30 backup? Why did it go away? That's the one I desperately need!

Full:
My OG SE touchscreen has been misbehaving the past few weeks...now to the point of just typing in random letters when I'm on the keyboard, jumping the cursor all over the place...so imagine trying to edit a video timeline with audio and picture elements and you can guess that the "WTFs" start flying. (Touchscreen kookiness is a separate issue, this is about backups...I did clean the screen with an alcohol wipe per Apple's advice. Clean as a whistle, still acting odd, can't get it looked at 'til next Friday at BestBuy Apple bar, I guess AS is closed? I tried to make Genius appt but it said no openings.)

It hasn't been REALLY bad until today...so at about 2:15 I decided an immediate backup to iTunes would be a good idea as I was finishing up an intensive bike safety video for kids. iTunes>Preference>Devices showed my last SE backup was about a month ago, okay, good, that all makes sense.

So I backed it up, it took about 20 minutes, the backup showed in the same place as above. (There are also 7 other backups there from previous iPhones I've owned dating back to 2015...I probably can/should purge most of them). I did not notice if that replaced the previous backup from one month ago...I gather it did, dang it.

Meantime, the unthinkable happens...touchscreen was getting super wonky, so I decided to try a reset of the phone (press home and sleep buttons 'til restart w/ apple screen). It restarts. I try to open my video program (Kinemaster...kinda' like iMovie)...the flip-down Search command from top of screen (to find/open the app) is resulting in crazy stuff like opening random apps...so I have to audibly tell Siri to open Kinemaster, which it does. Okay fine.

I select the project I was working in among several listed on the app's home screen. Touchscreen misbehaves like it was before. In a split second, that new intensive project disappears. Poof. Gone. No warning, no nothing. My finger was nowhere close to the "delete project" trashcan icon. And it even puts up a warning screen if you wanna delete something to make sure that's correct. There was none of that.

So I figured, well, good thing I have the backup from 2:30 today!! So then I figure, if I'm gonna do a restore from that, I should back up one more time just to be safe as I have all this raw video footage and folders (around 25-30 clips/photos in this video) that would take hours to reproduce...just in case that 2:30 backup didn't take for whatever odd reason.

I back up again at 3:30, it goes fine, takes less than 15 minutes this time. I go into the same location in iTunes and all the other backups are listed back to 2015 -- EXCEPT the one from a month ago, and the 2:30 backup which should have that suddenly missing video project in it. WHAAAAAAT? It does have the backup from 3:30, and all 7 backups from the last 5 years.

Where would the 2:30pm backup be? And why would it be gone all the sudden? I will assume it also deleted the backup from a month ago...when I backed up at 2:30. But WHY? So where and why are my questions. THANK YOU KINDLY for any help. It will likely take me about 5-6 hours to reshoot the elements, and another 4 hours to recreate/re-edit that video project, if I even can...since my touchscreen seems to be jacked now. And it was due today. Grrrrreat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2020 04:28PM by SteveO.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Desperate iPhone Backups Question: O BROTHER WHEREART THOU?
Posted by: btfc
Date: June 05, 2020 04:48PM
Backups get stored in your <user>/Library folder

~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

Any chance that you backed up to the cloud?

Re: phone wonkyness; swelling battery?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2020 05:07PM by btfc.
Date: June 05, 2020 05:09PM
Thanks - there are 9 backups showing in that user folder you named -- but they are titled with gibberish. Is it limited to 9? Seems like there should be at least 10, counting the backup from a month ago, and the 2 from today...as my iTunes shows 7 others besides the ONE it kept from today (and it apparently discarded the one from a month ago that was there earlier today). but I can't tell as they are not titled by date...Any idea how to determine the one from 2:30pm today? Does iTunes just decide to replace a backup from same day, and a month ago, on its own?

I did a Get Info and none of them showed a "Created" date of today...one from 2019 showed a Modified date of today at 5:02pm...when I opened it to see what was in it I guess? I don't know how you'd restore from one of these anyway...?

IDK on the swollen battery. The case is intact, not bulging. Don't know how else to tell. No iCloud backups.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2020 09:09PM by SteveO.
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 05, 2020 05:20PM
Am I reading that right, 115 GB on the phone? And no dedicated automatic backup? Like $2 iCloud?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: June 05, 2020 05:29PM
Very odd. Possibly issues on your phone are messing with the backup process. Older backups should not get deleted, AFIK.

Various software can open the backup files; most of it makes you purchase; I have no favorite, perhaps someone does? Search for “ open an itunes backup file , mac “.

Sort by date modified, I guess. Good luck!
Posted by: Carm
Date: June 05, 2020 05:42PM
Match the time of the backups man. There should be two with the latest two backups.
Date: June 05, 2020 07:02PM
I have to ask, your video didn’t end up in Photos on the Mac, did it?
Date: June 05, 2020 09:13PM
Carm
Match the time of the backups man. There should be two with the latest two backups.

That's what I said above - I agree, there should be two of those with the latest backups. There are not as I outlined above. Something is not right.

> I have to ask, your video didn’t end up in Photos on the Mac, did it?

Nopers, good question. I checked. Not there. Thanks.
Date: June 05, 2020 09:19PM
If I could find where deleted items go on the iPhone...a folder or something...maybe I could use some commercial app to pry it open. I used to have a PhoneView license back in Snow Leopard days, I will look into that and see if it can do anything.
Date: June 05, 2020 09:30PM
jdc
Am I reading that right, 115 GB on the phone? And no dedicated automatic backup? Like $2 iCloud?

$3 iCloud as of one minute ago. smileys with beer
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 05, 2020 09:45PM
SteveO
jdc

$3 iCloud as of one minute ago. smileys with beer

smileys with beer Its the first thing I setup on my families phones =)

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Carm
Date: June 06, 2020 02:25AM
Sorry SteveO, never had that happen. I try to backup my photos and vids on computer and Google Drive
Posted by: LyleH
Date: June 06, 2020 06:16PM
SteveO
If I could find where deleted items go on the iPhone...a folder or something...maybe I could use some commercial app to pry it open. I used to have a PhoneView license back in Snow Leopard days, I will look into that and see if it can do anything.

I have the (not free) app iMazing on my iMac, and they have really opened up things I can look at on my iPad, such as "Files" and "File System". But I couldn't find anything related to "deleted". But I am not very knowledgeable with iMazing. Maybe someone else with iMazing could take a look at their iPhone and see something that might be helpful to you. LyleH
Date: June 18, 2020 09:04AM
LyleH
SteveO

I have the (not free) app iMazing on my iMac, and they have really opened up things I can look at on my iPad, such as "Files" and "File System". But I couldn't find anything related to "deleted". But I am not very knowledgeable with iMazing. Maybe someone else with iMazing could take a look at their iPhone and see something that might be helpful to you. LyleH

Thanks for checking, I do appreciate the help. After that whole thing, I just rebuilt the missing video movie. All good now with the cloud backups. Thanks again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 365
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018