advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
rain gutters - any tips for offsetting from the fascia?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 06, 2020 09:38AM
I have a couple of short (> 3 foot) rain gutters that collect a lot of water due to the shape of the roof. Oddly, the shingles extend over 75% of the rain gutter - whats the point of having a nice wide gutter if most of it essentially sits under the roof? I have other stretches of gutter that noticeably do not suffer from this problem. The goal is obvious - offset the gutter from the house in some manner. What is the best way to do it and is there a specific product I should use for this?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: rain gutters - any tips for offsetting from the fascia?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 06, 2020 09:48AM
Asphalt Shingles? -- can they be trimmed back?

Otherwise, the easiest may just be to put a piece of pressure-treated wood there - attach it to the fascia (try to use the same holes that the gutter used) and then attach the gutter to it.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: June 06, 2020 10:01AM
Second the trimming if possible. Spacers would be less problematic if made from HDPE ( cheap cutting board diced up ).
Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 06, 2020 11:18AM
Trimmig was my thought too!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 06, 2020 03:25PM
Ombligo

Otherwise, the easiest may just be to put a piece of pressure-treated wood there - attach it to the fascia (try to use the same holes that the gutter used) and then attach the gutter to it.

I'll trim the shingles as I'm able but it won't do the whole job.

As for shimming with pressure treated wood - along he entire length of the gutter or just where fastened to the house?

Posted by: Ammo
Date: June 06, 2020 03:43PM
You say the gutters in question collect a lot of water when it rains. For that reason, I'd be inclined to provide plenty of support for them. If you live in a cold clime, they could fill with ice at some point, which would weigh a lot. Is there a reason not to trim the shingles?

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Until you make your unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. - Carl Jung
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 06, 2020 08:08PM
mattkime
Ombligo

I'll trim the shingles as I'm able but it won't do the whole job.

As for shimming with pressure treated wood - along he entire length of the gutter or just where fastened to the house?

I was under the impression from your original post that the issue was just a 3' section(s). Why is trimming an issue?

I would shim the whole length for aesthetics if no other reason.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 372
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018