advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Which 18V+ cordless drill does the forum like?
Posted by: steve...
Date: June 06, 2020 10:55PM
My craftsman 12V drill has worked fine for fences and such but has been a little flaky lately. I've got a project coming up that will most likely take me a few months to finish (working on a retirement schedule). Will be working with screws and 2x4s & plywood for the most part. When I'm done, will only need it for occasional household projects.

Always looking for a deal - are there any brands to watch for or avoid? - TIA

Northern California Coast
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Which 18V+ cordless drill does the forum like?
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: June 06, 2020 11:21PM
I don't know if there's much of a difference between DeWalt and Milwaukie and Bosch....
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 06, 2020 11:34PM
Home Depot ridgid. Lifetime service warranty.

[www.homedepot.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: June 06, 2020 11:35PM
Milwaukie is the only brand that still uses ALL metal gears inside there power drills.... I won't buy anything else!

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 06, 2020 11:36PM
I've been very happy with my dewalt

Posted by: Bo
Date: June 06, 2020 11:48PM
And just to muddy the waters further...I'm a full on Makita guy. Decent deals for multi tool kits pop up on Slickdeals quite often.

This one has expired but is a good example : [slickdeals.net]

And sometimes they throw in free 5amp batteries
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 07, 2020 12:59AM
Any one that doesn’t have a big rectangular battery hanging from the grip - even if it means buying extra batteries.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 07, 2020 03:13AM
Harbourmaster
Milwaukie is the only brand that still uses ALL metal gears inside there power drills.... I won't buy anything else!

and an almost unending 3rd party battery and charger supply, or rebuilding you original batteries.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 07, 2020 05:24AM
If it is for typical household use, Ryobi is a complete system and affordable.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: June 07, 2020 07:04AM
Why not 20v?

The Dewalt 20v system is really good. The 20v 1/2 inch impact is as good or better than the pneumatic counterparts. Since getting the impact, I’ve added the sawzall, a 7-1/4 circular saw, 4-1/2 circular, leaf blower, 3/8 impact, 1/4 inch driver. Haven’t added a drill yet as my 18v drill is still going strong.
Posted by: wolfcry911
Date: June 07, 2020 07:14AM
I have multiple DeWalt 20v and Ridgid 18v tools. I find the Ridgid tools more powerful and you can't beat the lifetime warranty on everything - including batteries. Just make sure to register them. I've killed multiple DeWalt 20v tools including two drills and a sawzall.
Posted by: Fred_Also
Date: June 07, 2020 07:23AM
Ombligo
If it is for typical household use, Ryobi is a complete system and affordable.

I agree, Ryobi. I have a drill, impact driver, blower (also works on 120), weedeater, circular saw & hedge trimmer that all use the same 18 v. batteries.

I get batteries on ebay for about $35.

Fred
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 07, 2020 08:03AM
....where do you like to....drill.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: modelamac
Date: June 07, 2020 08:39AM
Festool

Gonna ask my Mother if that offer to slap
me into next year is still on the table.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: June 07, 2020 08:44AM
I've bought into the Ridgid system.

Posted by: August West
Date: June 07, 2020 08:47AM
Electric installer friend recommended Ridgid to me, and I picked one up for general home use. I'm happy with it.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: kurtzie
Date: June 07, 2020 08:53AM
There might be some deals coming up with Father's Day right around the corner…
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: June 07, 2020 09:45AM
I do hear lots of good feedback on Ridgid. Ryobi has improved, and specific good tools, so you'd need to research it to see if the specific drill you want has a good reputation....

Are you looking for a system, or is this a one-off?
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: June 07, 2020 10:23AM
I picked up a Ryobi One+ set of drill, circular saw, sawzall, flashlight and 4 batteries for $129. All work just fine for general household use.

I should say the drill is far better than my 25 year old 7.2v Makita.

I'm not sure the average home user needs anything more...unless you're that family that is driving your F350 to Costco to pick up a pack of toilet paper.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 07, 2020 10:56AM
Steve,

I like buying from CPO Outlet:

[www.cpooutlets.com]

However, deals are always out there. It's just a matter of choosing which make and model of tool and finding the deal for it.

For smaller scale projects, I'm very happy with the Craftsmen Nextec 12v model. Great for nearly task I've used them for at this point. Not heavy-duty but rock solid. For heavier tasks, I borrow the Dewalt 20V Max tools from my office. Rock solid, Very sturdy. Good selection of tools that all use the same batteries and chargers.

Milwaukee seems to be the gold standard for power tools. Very pricey, though. Other brands that offer solid choices and are less expensive are Ryobi, Makita, and Bosch.

FWIW, I don't know which make and models I'd go with right now. Dewalt is always a good choice but there are other very good manufacturers out there. I'd have to check them out again before offering any specific recommendations. However, I'd definitely think about these items:
The first buy models that use Lithium Ion batteries. Only cheap crap uses ni-cad these days. Don't waste your money going _that_ cheap.

The second is buy the right size tools for your hands. This could prove difficult during the pandemic but it can make a difference. The last time I was shopping for more powerful cordless tools for my office, I checked out models from Dewalt and Craftsmen since there were super deals on them at the time. I immediately walked away from the Craftsmen models because I didn't like how they felt in my hand. That;s how we ended up with the Dewalt 20V Max tools.

The other things is don't buy _too much_ power tool. People can say by brand or that model for X and Y reason but they don't consider who is using the tool and the type of projects for which they need them. If you're like me and generally do basic at home tasks with the occasional bigger project, then you don't need to go overboard on the tools. Well regarded and designed models from one of the better manufacturers ought to be dandy for a very long time.

[clark.com]

Some of the advice from this article by Clark Howard is pretty solid. Definitely the Tips and Final thoughts sections.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2020 10:59AM by Robert M.
Posted by: wurm
Date: June 07, 2020 11:03AM
Robert M
Steve,

I like buying from CPO Outlet:

[www.cpooutlets.com]

For smaller scale projects, I'm very happy with the Craftsmen Nextec 12v model. Great for nearly task I've used them for at this point. Not heavy-duty but rock solid.
Robert

My little Nextec impact wrench is my go-to for changing wheels/tires on my car. Love the compact size with the battery. For some reason, I thought they were out of business or no longer making the Nextec line. Are there still assorted tools and batteries available?
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: June 07, 2020 11:18AM
Harbourmaster

That does it for me.
My trusty Craftsman drill died a noisy death after the plastic gears wore down.
Thanks for that info.
Date: June 07, 2020 11:24AM
Wurm,

The 12V series has been discontinued. You can still get tools and accessories but they are tougher to find these days. That's why I invested in as much of the whole set as possible with some extra batteries when I saw them on sale. Search around and you'll find the components, though they might be used, refurbished and, when it comes to batteries and chargers, 3rd party.

Robert
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: June 07, 2020 11:53AM
I started with a Dewalt 14.4V about 30 years ago and was fine with it until I had a battery meltdown, glad I caught before it burned my FIL's house down. It's still permanently melted into the charger. Then I switched over to Craftsman C3 19.2V line and it was fine except the batteries didn't last and the C3 line was cancelled when they sold the Craftsman name.

I switched to Ryobi 18V and couldn't be more pleased. I now have a brushless drill, brushless 1/4" impact driver, 1/2" impact for impact sockets, brushless 7 1/4" circular saw, brushed recip saw, tire inflator, leaf blower, weedwhacker, pole saw, flexible shaft dremel like tool, I think that's it for now. We probably use the leaf blower and pole saw more than anything.

Ryobi Days starts sometime this week with some decent deals.

If I were using this stuff for a living I would probably go Dewalt but it still gets used quite a bit around the farm and so far so good. For the money and the sheer variety of tools they have I don't think it can be beat.

There should be better deals coming this week supposedly June the 11th. Rumor is you buy a the two 4.0Ah batteries with charger and a carry bag and get a free tool up to $79.95. Not the best deal they ever had but not too bad.

Current deals.
[www.homedepot.com]

RYOBI DAYS Promotions, there's some details in the fine print.
[www.homedepot.com]

Grateful11

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2020 11:54AM by Grateful11.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: June 07, 2020 12:04PM
> "If I were using this stuff for a living I would probably go Dewalt but it still gets used quite a bit around the farm and so far so good. For the money and the sheer variety of tools they have I don't think it can be beat."

I also prefer Ryobi and I did use them for a living as a journeyman carpenter for GM. The other guys on the trades looked down on Ryobi, but I could keep right up with their Dewalt/Milwaukee/Makita drills.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Michael
Date: June 07, 2020 01:20PM
I buy Ryobi because of the range of tools they have and also the never-ending sales. I always figured that if I wore out one of the drivers I'd just replace it with a new one from a Black Friday or other sale. That was a number of years ago and I haven't have to replace anything.

In fact, I just bought the $139 40v Ryobi weed whacker that allows attachments. I've used it to trim the 1/2 acre lawn and 200' path through the woods a half dozen times and the original battery charge is still about 1/2 full. I've attached my chain saw trimmer and it runs just fine. They have several 40v tools and are developing more. I can see the day when I'm completely out of gas and gas/oil outdoor tools.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 07, 2020 01:50PM
I've got some Ryobi One+ kit and need some batteries.

The jig saw and two battery combo seems MIA this year. Makes me sad.

I'll probably get the two battery and charger for $99.

The charger is a little thing, and I still have the larger (single battery) charger from the blue kit.

Are the older charger and newer batteries compatible?

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: June 07, 2020 02:03PM
RAMd®d

No need to wait for the $99 sale -- [smile.amazon.com]

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
Posted by: Cary
Date: June 07, 2020 03:21PM
I have Milwaukee - both 12v and 18v. I hardly ever use the 18v. The 12v is great. I would buy the Milwaukee 12v brushless setup. It will last forever. It's just a well made, comfortable tool with many expansion possibilities.

Get a second battery, whichever you go with.

Once I started using the Milwaukee tools, I sold my Dewalt and Bosch tools.

Strongly recommended.

Like Robert, I like CPO Outlet. I'd be willing to bet He will have a Milwaukee promo for father's Day.
Posted by: jonny
Date: June 07, 2020 04:05PM
I have a Milwaukee 12v also. Works great.
Date: June 07, 2020 05:14PM
RAMd®d

The jig saw and two battery combo seems MIA this year. Makes me sad.

I'll probably get the two battery and charger for $99.

The charger is a little thing, and I still have the larger (single battery) charger from the blue kit.

Are the older charger and newer batteries compatible?

The older yellow batteries I believe are all Ni-Cad's and the old charger won't charge the newer Li-Ion but the newer chargers will charge the older batteries as long as it's listed as a Dual Chemistry charger.

One great thing about Ryobi is the newest batteries will still power the old blue Ryobi 18V stuff. Everyone else has changed battery designs and left the older tools hang out to dry.

Here's a comparison of chargers. It's not completely up to date as it doesn't show the newer wall wart charger they put in a lot of these sets.
[toolboyworld.com]

Grateful11
Date: June 07, 2020 05:24PM
Ombligo
RAMd®d

No need to wait for the $99 sale -- [smile.amazon.com]

There's no free tool with that battery kit. There will be sometime this week at Home Depot. A few HD's across the country have already started Ryobi Days but not all yet. I've still got one of those kits still sealed in the box as I have about 8-10 batteries already, might sell it.

Grateful11
Date: June 07, 2020 05:31PM
Reading through, this isn't my fathers tool list... no suggestion of Skil, Craftsman, or Black & Decker. It wasn't that long ago when those were the goto brands for home us.

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: June 07, 2020 05:42PM
Milwaukee hands down. I have a set of a half a dozen Fuel tools for work. They are AMAZING.

I also have a ton of Ryobi 18V tools at home. You can't beat the price or the sheer number of different tools Ryobi has, but the quality, battery life, and power is only fair at best. Doing a basement remodel and the Ryobi isn't up to the task. They work fine for occasional work, but if you have a large project go with the Milwaukee.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 07, 2020 05:56PM
.....threads about tools.....and bidets......get the most responses..........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: June 07, 2020 06:38PM
Thanks for all the great comments.

I'll be near a Home Depot and Lowes in Oregon on Thursday and can avoid the 7.5% CA sales tax. Hopefully there will be a good buy when I'm there.

That Milwaukee 12v brushless drill sounds great. Do you think It would be OK on my backyard studio/office that I'm going to build? I don't know about "brushless" but they must be better since they cost more. Lots of choices and I'll need to watch my budget also.

My 12V drill is a Craftsman Nextec model and I have the matching impact wrench and two batteries also. It's been great for several years but lately seems to have trouble with what should be easy driving and it's also making a strange noise.

Posted by: lost in space
Date: June 07, 2020 07:49PM
modelamac
Festool

Indeed, if you have the $. Nothing touches their stuff.

I like my 12V Milwaukee for small jobs

Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 07, 2020 10:57PM
The batteries always die first for me. Next round, I’ll trying buying Ridgid at a HD store for the lifetime warranty on batteries.

I have a little Hitachi 20v I really like. Except for dying batteries.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: June 07, 2020 11:03PM
A buddy of mine is a contractor, and I listened very carefully to his advice....
He uses a mix of DeWalt and Milwaukee cordless tools. His "heavy use" tools are Milwaukee, except for a few that are DeWalt because Milwaukee's offering in that tool don't quite fit his work habits, or they take a different battery. He's big on as few different battery types as possible (which I totally get...).

I bought a set of DeWalt tools (Sawzall, Circular saw, impact driver, and drill), all 20v.
Single best tool investment I've ever made except maybe my metal lathe.

If I was looking to replace 'em all, I might go with Milwaukee, because since I bought the DeWalts, my friend has raised his opinion of the Milwaukee tools.... I gathered his mentor had some problems with early generations of their cordless tools, which kept my friend away from them. The current generation are worlds better. Hey, let's face it, the early generations of MOST cordless tools kinda sucked!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: June 07, 2020 11:46PM
Paul F.
A buddy of mine is a contractor, and I listened very carefully to his advice....
He uses a mix of DeWalt and Milwaukee cordless tools. His "heavy use" tools are Milwaukee, except for a few that are DeWalt because Milwaukee's offering in that tool don't quite fit his work habits, or they take a different battery. He's big on as few different battery types as possible (which I totally get...).

I bought a set of DeWalt tools (Sawzall, Circular saw, impact driver, and drill), all 20v.
Single best tool investment I've ever made except maybe my metal lathe.

If I was looking to replace 'em all, I might go with Milwaukee, because since I bought the DeWalts, my friend has raised his opinion of the Milwaukee tools.... I gathered his mentor had some problems with early generations of their cordless tools, which kept my friend away from them. The current generation are worlds better. Hey, let's face it, the early generations of MOST cordless tools kinda sucked!

I had the Dewalt 20V still and sold it to get Ryobi Set when I needed a nail gun. The Ryobi drill wasn’t as nice, but the cordless nailer is great. The Milwaukee Fuel is better than the DeWalt by a lot.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: June 08, 2020 12:19AM
C(-)ris

I had the Dewalt 20V still and sold it to get Ryobi Set when I needed a nail gun. The Ryobi drill wasn’t as nice, but the cordless nailer is great. The Milwaukee Fuel is better than the DeWalt by a lot.

My buddy was over here this afternoon helping me with a project (OK, I was mostly staying out of his way and handing him stuff....), and ALL the tools he used for this project were his Milwaukee tools. He has the DeWalts in his truck, for when one them has some strengths the Milwaukees lack, though. There's something about the DeWalt impact driver he likes better than his Milwaukee, but I don't recall what. So, we used my DeWalt.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 08, 2020 01:44AM
Ombligo
Reading through, this isn't my fathers tool list... no suggestion of Skil, Craftsman, or Black & Decker. It wasn't that long ago when those were the goto brands for home us.

For the record, Black & Decker Professional became DeWalt. I have an old B&D Pro electric impact wrench.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: wurm
Date: June 08, 2020 08:13AM
Robert M
Wurm,

The 12V series has been discontinued. You can still get tools and accessories but they are tougher to find these days. That's why I invested in as much of the whole set as possible with some extra batteries when I saw them on sale. Search around and you'll find the components, though they might be used, refurbished and, when it comes to batteries and chargers, 3rd party.

Robert

Thanks. I'll keep my eyes open for stuff.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: June 08, 2020 10:49AM
I have DeWalt drill and Mikita recip, because a contractor friend recommended both. They're both 30yo, at least. Not that I give either a workout.

@Racer - please clue me on rebuilding. My DeWalt 14.4 batts have become sad in that they don't hold charge very long.

@Robert - you've bought and been happy with the refurbs?
I'm looking to buy an orbital.
[forums.macresource.com]

After doing some more reading and viewing, it appears that cbelts suggestion of compound and polisher seems to be favored. And the same stuff can be used on shower glass and countertops, prolly StonePro.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Date: June 08, 2020 12:05PM
Fritz,

I haven't bought any refurbs from CPO but others in the forum have and they're happy with them. Based on that, I'd definitely give them a looksie.

Robert
Posted by: rz
Date: June 08, 2020 12:09PM
I have a mix of DeWalt and Ryobi. Love the Ryobis for the sheer number of tools they have that all use the same batteries. Yard tools are almost all 40v Ryobi.

Regular drill, impact drill and framing nailer are DeWalts. I got the two (brushless) drills as a pack on BF a couple of years ago. Framing nailer was at an auction. Most of the Ryobi tools I've gotten at various local auctions. All are open box deals, probably from Home Depot. I can usually get stuff for less than half retail. Never had any issues with any of it.
Date: June 08, 2020 04:19PM
Steve,

Saw this deal:

[www.homedepot.com]

Seems like a good deal and definitely worth a looksie. And, as usual, check for further discounts via coupons and such.

Robert
Date: June 08, 2020 05:17PM
Robert M
Steve,

Saw this deal:

[www.homedepot.com]

Seems like a good deal and definitely worth a looksie. And, as usual, check for further discounts via coupons and such.

Robert

That deal just hit the RYOBI groups on Facebook. The consensus is that’s a pretty good deal. My Ryobi drill and impact driver are brushless and I’d put them up against anything else.

Grateful11
Date: June 08, 2020 07:08PM
Two batteries, charger, bag and 1/2" hammerdrill, switches to a regular drill also. $100

[www.homedepot.com]

Grateful11
Date: June 08, 2020 07:54PM
Grateful11
Two batteries, charger, bag and 1/2" hammerdrill, switches to a regular drill also. $100

[www.homedepot.com]

I saw that earlier but wasn't sure what a Hammer Drill is. So it's like an impact/drill combination? The two batteries are 4.0 Ah. The price is good and it comes with a 3 year warranty

Robert M — the 6 tool combo kit looked like a decent deal also but all I really need now is a cordless drill.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2020 07:57PM by steve....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 105
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018