advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Bluetooth keyboard is lagging
Posted by: roshi
Date: June 09, 2020 10:07AM
How to approach fixing keyboard lag? It is lagging behind my typing, and also offers up foreign characters.

I will be typing along, and the screen will be blank for a few seconds, then finally display what I was typing. I'm not fast, maybe 60 words a minute.

Mac Mini - Mac mini (2018)
Apple bluetooth keyboard
Two Apple Magic Trackpads (one on either side)

Is there an elegant solution other than spending all day doing random superstitious actions? Other than waving dead chickens, like throwing away preferences, resetting everything, going to an exorcist, doing a clean install, buying a new computer, going back to typing on an IBM selectric, or just give up altogether.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Bluetooth keyboard is lagging
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 09, 2020 10:56AM
Battery levels ? Cleaning ? I've had to 'forget' and then reconnect mine a few times. It got to the point that I just used the extended wired keyboard after a while.
Posted by: PeterW
Date: June 09, 2020 11:00AM
Do the same problems happen if you connect only one trackpad?
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: June 09, 2020 11:09AM
Hey roshi!
That’s weird! Are you confident about your system install?... No key logger?
Sorry to introduce the kind of stuff you don’t want to deal with.
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 09, 2020 11:31AM
When did this start?

My 2012 mini has weak Bluetooth, I gave up and I use a wired keyboard and mouse.

It was particularly worse when I had UBS3 drives connected, I think those cables interfered with BT.
Posted by: rz
Date: June 09, 2020 12:06PM
I can't believe how many people use bluetooth with all the problems it has. I tried BT speakers but gave up with all the problems I was having. Same problems with wireless BT headphones. I think using a BT keyboard would drive me nuts.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: June 09, 2020 12:42PM
Hasn't BT always been a weak link for the Mac mini? I seem to recall reading this elsewhere as well. (A quick run in DuckDuckGo shows a lot of hits on this topic.)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 09, 2020 02:21PM
I also have weak Bluetooth connection between my Dell Laptop and Bose Quiet 35 Headphones.

In the car, I keep my iPhone in the left pocket, and if I use my Apple Watch on the left wrist, if I rest my hand on the lap, it drops BT connection to car stereo. Since I got a wrist injury and I moved the watch to the right wrist, that does not happen.

And 99.99% of the time I do keep my hands on the steering wheel, I just noticed that if I temporarily lay my hand on the lap the music stops.
Date: June 09, 2020 03:39PM
PeterW
Do the same problems happen if you connect only one trackpad?

I could check that out.

As part of keeping my wrists healthy, I trained myself to be ambidexterous with trackballs and trackpads.

I could turn one off, will try that tomorrow.
Date: June 09, 2020 03:46PM
There are LOTS of Bluetooth things happening around here -

4 feet away is my standing desk with a laptop that also has two Magic Trackpads, and 5 feet away is a Homepod, and then there is my iPhone and I am often listening to podcasts on my Airpods Pro.

I would hate to have to go to war against Bluetooth.

What causes my keyboard to be suggesting foreign language diacriticals? Those little accent marks.

As I am typing, occasionally the keyboard will suggest ' and other little marks.

I have been to the Keyboard preference panel and waved the dead chickens, turned Key Repeat to slow, and Delay Until Repeat to short.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 09, 2020 09:10PM
I'm having a problem with my 2012 mini's BT.

If I switch my K811 keyboard to another Mac, I can't switch back to the mini.

I can still toggle the keyboard between the two other Macs it's paired to, but not back to the mini.

If my Magic TrackPad drops its connection, which it's doing with increasing frequency, it can't get back in either.

Using a corded keyboard with mouse attached, I can go to BT in the menu bar and connect either again, and all's well until the next incident.

But it may be software related, as this is somewhat recent, over the last couple of months.

In a possibly related event, the screen goes black, and then the lock screen shows up and I have to login. This happens repeatedly for a few times then usually settles down. I

It doesn't seem to happen with I login with Screen Sharing, so I'm wondering of some spurious BT emission is triggering the lock screen.

Oy.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: heap1
Date: June 09, 2020 10:51PM
I have never had any problems with Bluetooth headphones or speakers on Mobile devices, both Android and iOS. On my 2012 MacMini and my 2013 MacBook Pro devices that have Bluetooth 5 are unusable. Has Bluetooth improved at all on newer Macs?
Date: June 10, 2020 01:22PM
rich in distress
Hey roshi!
That’s weird! Are you confident about your system install?... No key logger?
Sorry to introduce the kind of stuff you don’t want to deal with.

you have a point - the system is acting as if there is a keylogger - but I tweaked the keyboard preferences to Delay until repeat - to SHORT - and I'll see if that fixes it. The system was offering up those alternate characters and it isn't now
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 198
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020