advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
(FIXED) With this morning's 10.15.5 upgrade, screenshots now have gray overlay
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: June 09, 2020 12:31PM
NOTE: found the fix. It was (I presume) a damaged plist file located at ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.screencapture.plist. More details in post below.

I upgraded to 10.15.5 this morning and now all screenshots have a gray overlay.

I use screenshots all day long for a variety of reasons, and now all of the varieties of screenshot making have a gray color to them:

Command-Shift-3
Command-Shift-4

Also grayed out with separate screenshot apps like Annotate, CloudApp and others.

Something definitely went wonky with the upgrade, at least on my Mac.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2020 01:37PM by tuqqer.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: With this morning's 10.15.5 upgrade, screenshots now have gray overlay
Posted by: datbeme
Date: June 09, 2020 12:51PM
That's not good. Hope there is a way to turn it off. Who wants dimmed screen shots?

Was going to take a screenshot of to illustrate the difference between yours and mine…and the subtle difference between the message box and the white page body. But I was afraid that might break the space-time continuum.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: June 09, 2020 01:06PM
It must be something wrong on your computer. Not doing it on mine.
Posted by: hal
Date: June 09, 2020 01:06PM
have you restarted yet? I can't imagine that this would continue after a restart.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: June 09, 2020 01:08PM
Tuqqer,

Check sysPref/Accessibility/Display -all of the settings in there. Too many times I've updated my OS only to find the installation toggled some switch or changed a setting.

The other thing you can try is rebooting or a Safe boot (Shift key) and then a normal reboot. I doubt that a Disk Utility -Repair disk will do any good, but you can try.

As a last resort you can try the Combo Update from the Apple site.

Gonna ask my Mother if that offer to slap
me into next year is still on the table.
Re: (FIXED) With this morning's 10.15.5 upgrade, screenshots now have gray overlay
Date: June 09, 2020 01:42PM
Well that was a journey. Found the fix.

Tried restarting numerous times. Even tried the great voodoo fix from the Period Before The Internet, PRAM reset (Command-Option-P-R).

Then tried from another User Account. Then removing all 3rd-party screenshot apps (yeah, I'm a total screenshot junkie) and restarting.

Finally got a hint from modelmac's tip and remembered the plists. So I googled the issue and found a thread on Apple Discussions where a wise person from '17 mentioned the location of screenshot prefs (~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.screencapture.plist ), deleted and restarted, and voila. Screenshots are pristine again.

thanks all. I love you man!

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Re: (FIXED) With this morning's 10.15.5 upgrade, screenshots now have gray overlay
Posted by: hal
Date: June 09, 2020 01:46PM
nice fix
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 09, 2020 08:30PM
Too many times I've updated my OS only to find the installation toggled some switch or changed a setting.

I see that wasn't the problem in tuq's case, but too many times I've been bitten by this 'feature'.

Is it a non-serendipitous juxtaposition of old and new bits, or somebody in the Apple coding cave that feels we should 'do it this way'.

I don't know, but don't like it.

In particular with iOS upgrades, the first thing I do after maybe some casual checking of the new features, if any, is to check the Location screen.

There is always some flipped toggles turning something On that I previously turned off.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
tuq...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 09, 2020 08:31PM
You found a fix for Mail suddenly sending a lot of good emails to Junk.

It worked well, but I haven't found it again.

Can you point me in the right direction?

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Re: tuq...
Date: June 09, 2020 09:17PM
In the end, it was doing just two things you may have already tried:

1. toggling off and then back on the "Enable Junk Mail filter." (I think I restarted Mail between these)

2. checking "Mark as Junk Mail, but Leave in my Inbox"

I was a little shocked that it worked, frankly, and it's still working. Very few false positives/negatives now.

Here's the article that got me to try this:
[www.lifewire.com]

Here's Lifewire's setup, and the only addition I do now is I check that last box, "Filter junk mail before applying my rules." I did this just to make sure "look for junk" was all it was doing initially, and then applying rules.

Ping back in a few days to report how it works.

Date: June 09, 2020 10:19PM
RAMd®d
In particular with iOS upgrades, the first thing I do after maybe some casual checking of the new features, if any, is to check the Location screen.
I've seen this as well, and each time I think, huh, I must've never switched that on/off...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 185
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018