advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Mabook Air SSD into a 2009 27" iMac?
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: June 09, 2020 05:19PM
So, a Macbook Air at work has a keyboard that has died a "Death by coffee"... and we may write it off and replace it.
So I'm thinking, if the SSD in it (which is removable, I checked) isn't dead, is there an adapter to strap that puppy in an old 2009 27" i7 iMac that I have here that is just lacking a HD?

*Edit: It may be a 2011 iMac.... now I don't recall.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2020 05:22PM by Paul F..
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Mabook Air SSD into a 2009 27" iMac?
Posted by: Gareth
Date: June 09, 2020 05:25PM
Need to know the year of the MacBook Air also, as the 2010-2011, 2012, 2013-2017 have three different connectors/sizes.
Date: June 09, 2020 05:28PM
The Air in question is a MacbookAir7,2, not sure which year that makes it.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: June 09, 2020 05:29PM
But 2009 and 2011 27" iMacs both appear to only use 3.5" hard drives as storage. The 2010-2011 and 2012 MBA SSDs are SATA (with "Apple" connectors"), so you could find an adapter to take them to a 2.5"/3.5" SATA connector to install in the iMac (or put it in an USB case).

The 2013-2017 MBA SSD is PCIe, so it would be harder to find a SATA adapter (if they even exist), but you could still put it in a USB case.
Posted by: GGD
Date: June 09, 2020 05:30PM
This site will give you a lot of info to help you determine if there is compatibility between them.

[beetstech.com]
Date: June 09, 2020 05:30PM
Paul F.

2015 [everymac.com] - so USB case is your best option.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2020 05:33PM by Gareth.
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 09, 2020 05:46PM
Gareth
Paul F.

2015 [everymac.com] - so USB case is your best option.

I think you need something like the Envoy Pro from OWC.

[eshop.macsales.com]
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 09, 2020 06:03PM
Paul,

What is the capacity of the SSD? If it's just 128GB or 256GB, I wouldn't invest in an Envoy box for it. Too much money for an older, low-capacity drive. I'd be inclined to try thisbox first:

[www.amazon.com]

Robert
Date: June 09, 2020 06:06PM
Robert M
I'd be inclined to try thisbox first:

[www.amazon.com]

That's the wrong case for the SSD from a 2015 MacBook Air - it won't work. Sadly, there aren't very many economical options for the Apple PCIe SSDs.

Ah, I see the confusion, that vendor says it's a PCIe case, but it's not, because it's only compatible with the 2012 Air SSD's, which are actually SATA. But a lot of the manufacturers don't know or don't care (or assume the consumer doesn't know) that the drives are SATA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2020 06:08PM by Gareth.
Date: June 09, 2020 06:10PM
Gareth,

You sure? It lists the specific model of that MBA in the description. There is another model from the same company for other versions of the MBA. Wouldn't go with the OWC box because it's just too much money. You can buy a modern NVME M.2 SSD of similar capacity and USB 3.1 Gen 2 box for it for about the same price or just a little more than the Envoy box and it'll be a much faster drive.

Robert
Date: June 09, 2020 06:11PM
This random brand USB case is still $80, not much savings vs OWC. I'd go OWC in this case (no pun intended, or was it?).

[www.amazon.com]
Date: June 09, 2020 06:14PM
Robert M
Gareth,

You sure? It lists the specific model of that MBA in the description.

I'm 100% positive that case won't work.

GODSHARK PCIe SSD Enclosure
DO NOT support 2012 MacBook Pro SSD and 2010 2011 MacBook Air SSD (6+16 pin) and 2013 2014 2015 2016 MacBook Air Pro Retina SSD (12+16 pin).

It says it doesn't support the 2015 MacBook Air. The first image says it's only compatible with 2012 MacBook Air (7+17 pin), as does the 2nd image, which also shows it's not compatible with the 2013+ SSDs (12+16 pin).
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 09, 2020 06:15PM
too much work/money unless the drive is huge.

$30 -- $5 more than a case -- will get you a 256 GB external flash ready to go: [www.amazon.com]

Sure, internal would be faster... but gotta take the whole thing apart + adapters + cables... still limited to 300 MB/s internal.

Dont get me wrong, we have a 2007 iMac with an internal SSD that does just fine... but wouldnt bother with it today...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: June 09, 2020 06:19PM
IMO not worth it. Stick the MBA SSD in a drawer until you find another machine to use it in.

I have a 512 GB (!) SSD harvested from a water-damaged 2016 13" MBPro awaiting the same fate. It's not technically mine (owned by our org) so I can't offer it here but it is modular so could help someone else who has only a 128 or a 256.
Date: June 09, 2020 06:25PM
Probably the cheapest way to adapt that drive to USB is as follows:

Sintech Adapter to PCIe M.2, $20 (there might be another listing with a Prime option)
[www.amazon.com]
I have briefly tested this adapter and it does work.

USB to PCIe M.2, $20. This is more of an "open" USB stick, because the adapter makes the drive 110mm long (80mm is the most common M.2 size) and too tall for a normal USB case.
[www.amazon.com]

And you'd probably want to throw a $10 heatsink on the drive, so now you're at $50 for a hacked together solution, which again, makes the OWC solution seem just easier. But, as also mentioned, you may be better off just buying a 2.5" SATA SSD to install internally or use externally.

Oh, and Apple PCIe SSDs go for a premium on eBay, so you could always just sell the SSD to fund a 2.5" SSD purchase.

256GB can fetch up to $60ish, 512GB can fetch $90ish. 1TB (though I doubt it's 1TB b/c the Air didn't have enough space for Apple's 1TB drive) can fetch $190ish.

So yea, considering that the drive is probably between 128GB and 512GB, it makes way more sense to sell it and buy something more appropriate.
Date: June 09, 2020 09:31PM
Well.. this ended up a bit more complicated than I thought!

Appreciate all the ideas!

I believe its a 256gb SSD, but as the laptop can't be booted right now, I'm not positive.

I may yet find something useful to do with it, but maybe that iMac (which I don't want to put a lot of money into given it's age, but hate to have it doing nothing for lack of a drive, HD or SSD) isn't the right project for it.

If I can put it in a 3.5" adapter, cheap, maybe it'll go in an old server I have to build a Linux machine. Or not... as that's not worth much money to do, either.
It's food for thought, though!

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: June 10, 2020 12:16AM
Paul F.
If I can put it in a 3.5" adapter, cheap, maybe it'll go in an old server I have to build a Linux machine. Or not... as that's not worth much money to do, either.

The same reason that makes it difficult to put in the iMac will make it difficult to put in the Linux machine. But, if the Linux machine has PCIe slots, you could get a cheap PCIe slot adapter, however, I'm not sure if these are Linux compatible, or bootable: [www.amazon.com]

Paul F.
I believe its a 256gb SSD, but as the laptop can't be booted right now, I'm not positive.

If you can pull the SSD, the capacity will be printed on it.
Date: June 10, 2020 07:29AM
Gareth,

Good catch! I stand corrected. Thanks. smiling smiley

Robert
Date: June 10, 2020 10:30AM
Gareth
Paul F.

The same reason that makes it difficult to put in the iMac will make it difficult to put in the Linux machine. But, if the Linux machine has PCIe slots, you could get a cheap PCIe slot adapter, however, I'm not sure if these are Linux compatible, or bootable: [www.amazon.com]

Paul F.

If you can pull the SSD, the capacity will be printed on it.

Physical space will not be an issue in that old server... it's a 4U case, and there's plenty of space inside to just vice-grip it to something... Connectability will be the issue. :-)
I don't have time to fool with it for now, but I think that Macbook Air is going in my "salvage" pile, rather than my "e-waste" pile.

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 215
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018