advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
a lot of hot air?!.....HBO Max pulls 'Gone with the Wind'.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 10, 2020 07:26AM
.....due to.....you know....

Gone With the Wind Removed From HBO Max, Will Return With Disclaimer

....HBO Max has temporarily removed the classic film Gone With the Wind from its movie library following a number of calls to do so, in light of the ongoing global protests for racial equality. When the film returns, it will carry a disclaimer.

In a statement, the streamer said, “Gone With the Wind is a product of its time and depicts some of the ethnic and racial prejudices that have, unfortunately, been commonplace in American society. These racist depictions were wrong then and are wrong today, and we felt that to keep this title up without an explanation and a denouncement of those depictions would be irresponsible. These depictions are certainly counter to WarnerMedia’s values, so when we return the film to HBO Max, it will return with a discussion of its historical context and a denouncement of those very depictions, but will be presented as it was originally created, because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming these prejudices never existed. If we are to create a more just, equitable and inclusive future, we must first acknowledge and understand our history.”

ScreenRant first reported the news of Gone With the Wind’s removal from the HBO Max archives. The film, released in 1939, won ten Oscars and became one of the top-earning movies of all time, and was prominently featured in HBO Max’s initial advertising push. But its romantic depiction of Civil War-era America and whitewashing of slavery is seen as problematic by many modern-day viewers, especially in light of the current social unrest regarding racism and police violence.

Oscar-winning screenwriter John Ridley (12 Years a Slave) called for Gone With the Wind to be removed from HBO Max for the time being in a Los Angeles Times op-ed published this week, calling it “a film that, when it is not ignoring the horrors of slavery, pauses only to perpetuate some of the most painful stereotypes of people of color.” Others joined Ridley online in asking that the movie be shelved.

HBO Max is not the only network changing its programming in light of the public outcry surrounding the protests: Paramount Network officially cancelled the police docuseries Cops after a more than three-decade run, and A&E Network has pulled new episodes of Live PD. HBO Max has also removed all guns from its new Looney Tunes Cartoons series, apparently in response to U.S. gun violence.

wind.......bag.........?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: a lot of hot air?!.....HBO Max pulls 'Gone with the Wind'.....
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 10, 2020 09:04AM
Birth of a Nation: Worth watching if you’ve never seen it. Three hours long. As racist as they come from Hollywood.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: June 10, 2020 09:25AM
If we're going to need disclaimers for all movies that perpetuate negative stereotypes of people of color, it's going to take many years to get that done.

It would be good if people learned more about Margaret Mitchell, read the book and watched the film through a culturally and historically informed lens. There's more going on there than meets the eye.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: June 10, 2020 10:04AM
Speedy
Birth of a Nation: Worth watching if you’ve never seen it. Three hours long. As racist as they come from Hollywood.

So will adding a disclaimer get "Song of the South" onto Disney+?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2020 10:04AM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 10, 2020 10:24AM
I don't mind adding some cultural and historical information to streamed films. Let's start thinking of this when talking about people in a historical sense as well. Within limits.... sort of like this... (*)
(*) This person/film/book reflects behaviours considered acceptable within the cultural and legal milieu of the time.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: June 10, 2020 11:27AM
We must ERASE all history we don't like.

The book burnings start in a few weeks.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: June 10, 2020 11:33AM
Where's the erasure in adding context and description to the online presentation of a film, again?

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: June 10, 2020 12:30PM
Speedy

Saw that years ago...jaw dropping.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 10, 2020 02:23PM
When in the video store biz in the early80's we used to keep tapes of the Amos and Andy TV show available. We would rent them only to people interested in Black History. I saw a number of episodes myself. I was embarrassed watching them and surprised how demeaning the stereotypes actually were.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 10, 2020 02:51PM
(danger - I taught film history for a year)

There is a "banned" Looney Toon from 1943 called Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs. Comes across as about as racist as you can be. But if you research it, there was a great deal of work and research done with African-Americans in creating it. The character drawing and mannerisms are unquestionably racist by today's standards, but historically the view is slightly different.

There is a whole group of cartoons called the Censured 11 that have been banned. But there are far more than those eleven. Most (not all) were used as a way to get Black music to the masses.

An example of one that is not in the censured group (why? no idea as it is just like those that are) is Scrub Me Mama With A Boogie Beat (1941)

But it isn't just shorts, there are many mainstream films that are as racist as GWTW. Why are those not being spoken of? Films like "Breakfast at Tiffany's, Peter Pan, Holiday Inn, even Shirley Temple dancing with Bill "Bojangles" Robinson in four different films of the 1930's. If GWTW gets held out, then all of Hollywood needs to be looked at.

Even films hailed as progressive can be reevaluated under today's views. The 1968 classic "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" seems to be everything one could want in an equality film. But was the black characters acceptable because they were blacks in blackface? Those characters were not the typical African-Americans of that time period. That leads one to speculate on why they couldn't be? Would Poitier's character been acceptable if he was a janitor rather than a doctor?

I can see virtually every film carrying a disclaimer, but my real fear is not films of the past. My fear is that this will scare future filmmakers from taking risks to avoid any trouble.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2020 05:21PM by Ombligo.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 10, 2020 03:00PM
Breakfast at Tiffany's Mickey Rooney performance is one of the low points of American cinema.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 10, 2020 11:49PM
Anybody seen the uncropped version of Fantasia?

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: June 11, 2020 09:29PM
I don’t have a problem with this. The material will still be freely available.

We live in times where generations are living long lives and so as societal sensibilities evolve there is more of the earlier generations around experiencing a displacement of their tolerances with the new iteration. Some generations blanche and find blackface or episodes Step and Fetchit distasteful and unacceptable for casual replay, and no longer ‘just harmless fun’.

And so now we move on to generations that have stronger objections to portrayals of execrably racist times unacceptable without at least cultural context as a preamble.

It’s a bit of a culture shock, but as proposed, not an accommodation I find objectionable.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 11, 2020 10:15PM
This is another good argument for owning physical media. I own a Blu-ray copy of GWTW -- if that movie were to disappear from the face of the earth tomorrow, I would still have my copy.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2020 12:07AM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 11, 2020 10:27PM
....and they will pry it from your.......cold....dark...........???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: dk62
Date: June 12, 2020 07:47AM
I do not have a problem watching movies that were socially acceptable at the time of production - it gives me an idea of the moral norms at the time, be they right or wrong. Different degrees of racism and stereotyping is just one example of mores that have changed over time, although they are likely the most offensive. But watching a movie that glorifies slavery produced at the time when everyone should have known better is a different thing entirely. I am OK watching the Triumph of the Will as a historical document, but would not be OK with someone recreating it today and lamenting the loss of the "way of life" of that time.

Having said all that, I am also against "burning of the books" and "cultural revolutions" regardless of the views expressed in them. So a disclaimer is perfectly appropriate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2020 07:50AM by dk62.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 207
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020