Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
June 9, 2002: Apple unleashes secret weapon Ellen Feiss
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: June 10, 2020 09:31AM
[www.cultofmac.com]

June 9, 2002: Apple launches its “Switch” advertising campaign, featuring real people talking about their reasons for switching from PCs to Macs. Apple’s biggest marketing effort since the “Think Different” ad campaign a few years earlier, it turns 15-year-old high school student Ellen Feiss into an unlikely star.

She becomes a viral sensation after viewers suggest she was stoned during filming of her sleepy-eyed “Switch” spot about a homework-devouring PC.

Apple’s ‘Switch’ ads focus on real people
The effort to entice more people to switch from Windows to Mac came at a key time for Apple. Microsoft hit its financial peak a couple years earlier, before beginning a multiyear decline.

Apple, on the other hand, was enjoying a post-iPod period of sustained success. Suddenly, more people than ever seemed willing to try out Apple’s computers for the first time. This coincided with the Digital Hub strategy Steve Jobs laid out in January 2001. The strategy targeted the “other 95 percent” of computer users who did not yet own a Mac.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: June 9, 2002: Apple unleashes secret weapon Ellen Feiss
Posted by: mrp-admin
Date: June 10, 2020 09:38AM
Careful posting about her ;) She gets mad. We received an email from her with a takedown request a couple of years ago.
Posted by: stephen
Date: June 10, 2020 10:02AM
Wow.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: June 10, 2020 10:08AM
mrp-admin
Careful posting about her ;) She gets mad. We received an email from her with a takedown request a couple of years ago.

Care to elaborate?
Or not... blip bloop...
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 10, 2020 10:19AM
mrp-admin

heh

Date: June 10, 2020 10:26AM
mrp-admin

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: davemchine
Date: June 10, 2020 11:02AM
Funny video. She does seem a bit off. I seem to recall her claiming a cold during that time but I could be wrong.

Back in those days I was a huge Apple advocate. I thought switching to Mac was clearly the right choice. Today I see Apple in an adversarial role and I don't even think OSX will be around for another 10 years. I would never advise someone to switch to Mac today.
Posted by: btfc
Date: June 10, 2020 12:24PM
I watched the compilation video, and to be fair to Ellen, several of those people look stoned.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 10, 2020 12:39PM
My favorite was the "Simplicity Shootout"... setting up an iMac vs. a PC...
[9to5mac.com]

"The stars of the ad were 26-year-old Adam Taggart, an MBA student at Stanford, and 7-year-old Johann Thomas, an elementary school student. Adam was tasked with setting up an HP Pavilion 8250 desktop, and Johann was given an iMac. Helping Johann was a dog, Brodie"
Posted by: PeterB
Date: June 10, 2020 12:59PM
Funny, first thing I thought about this post (because I wasn't reading the title carefully) was that she was going to do something NEW with Apple, maybe in conjunction with the release of the new ARM chip Macs.

Wouldn't that be something (great!) if she did? As they say, what's old can be new again...

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Date: June 10, 2020 01:07PM
mrp-admin

I have so many questions from this statement.

How does she know about this forum? Is Ellen a member of this forum? A lurker? A regular poster?

This would be the previous time her name came up on the forum [forums.macresource.com]

Date: June 10, 2020 01:38PM
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 10, 2020 02:06PM
This place is heavily indexed by search engines. If someone that spends a lot of time googling themselves ever gets mentioned here, it will show up in their top 10 search results.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: hal
Date: June 10, 2020 04:30PM
I seem to remember some lecherous posts about her at one point - and that is really just gross. But there was nothing wrong with the last posting (if that was indeed the one that caused her to complain). That makes my automatic like of her evaporate.

And it was allergies that she blamed - as a longtime allergy sufferer, I can attest that a bit of pollen and a couple of sneezes brings on a very stoned-like look.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: June 10, 2020 04:34PM
Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time.
Date: June 10, 2020 04:58PM
She blamed Benadryl.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 10, 2020 05:24PM
Regardless of the details, it made a classic great TV spot.
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 10, 2020 05:40PM
Looks like many 15 year olds to me, with or without benadryl...

I had forgotten this entire ad campaign. I hope this doesn't mean I have to leave MRF...
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: June 10, 2020 05:48PM
Will Collier

I fought beside your father in the Clone Wars.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 10, 2020 06:25PM
Lew Zealand
Will Collier

I fought beside your father in the Clone Wars.

Well played, sir, well played.

It is what it is.
Date: June 10, 2020 06:57PM
It looks like she's done extremely well for herself: [townsendcenter.berkeley.edu]

... I know next-to-nothing about art history, but I'm sure that's a well-respected fellowship, and at a very respectable school. grinning smiley

Posted by: datbeme
Date: June 11, 2020 10:30AM
PeterB
It looks like she's done extremely well for herself: [townsendcenter.berkeley.edu]

... I know next-to-nothing about art history, but I'm sure that's a well-respected fellowship, and at a very respectable school. grinning smiley

Imagine the fury that would be unleashed upon an art history student foolish enough to joke about their computer devouring their dissertation.
Date: June 11, 2020 11:15AM
datbeme
PeterB

Imagine the fury that would be unleashed upon an art history student foolish enough to joke about their computer devouring their dissertation.

Actually that would make a GREAT followup ad, if she were willing to do it... we Mac folks do love our nostalgia...

Posted by: hal
Date: June 11, 2020 06:35PM
PeterB
datbeme
PeterB

Actually that would make a GREAT followup ad, if she were willing to do it... we Mac folks do love our nostalgia...

but we don't want to buy anything newer than a 2012 laptop :-\
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 244
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020