Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
June 8, 2009: OS X Snow Leopard
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: June 11, 2020 08:28PM
[www.cultofmac.com]

June 8, 2009: Apple introduces OS X Snow Leopard, a version of its Mac operating system that ranks among the company’s finest desktop updates.

It may not be as flashy as some other updates, but it more than delivers on Apple’s core values. It paves a path to a bright future for the Mac.

Optimizing features in Mac OS X Snow Leopard
On paper, Snow Leopard wasn’t a massive shift from its predecessor, OS X Leopard. A bit like 2018’s macOS Mojave, it did not add a plethora of new features and sexy gimmicks. Instead, it stuck to the basics, optimizing what was already there in terms of features and performance. Oh, and doing this while taking up 6GB less than its immediate predecessor.
Given that Leopard overreached in some senses, Snow Leopard restored Apple’s reputation for quality products that “just work.” It’s no surprise that it hung around for a long time (possibly also due to it being the last version of OS X that ran on early Intel Macs).

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: June 8, 2009: OS X Snow Leopard
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 11, 2020 08:52PM
Still the pinnacle of OS X development, even eleven years later.

It is what it is.
Posted by: tronnei
Date: June 11, 2020 09:01PM
Still running it on one of my machines.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 11, 2020 09:25PM
I still run it on two of our machines.
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 11, 2020 09:49PM
A good one. Now on the next best, HS.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 11, 2020 10:27PM
Using it on an SSD-based hardware is still a sweet ride.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: June 12, 2020 09:59AM
tronnei
Still running it on one of my machines.

Still running it on... five, I think? Couple of MAME cabinets, my media server and a couple of HTPC Minis. Bulletproof for those applications.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: June 12, 2020 10:22AM
Still have it in a VM for a few pieces of software that I did not find replacements and no updates available past Snow Leopard. Only open that VM up occasionally these days though.

Snow Leopard was the next to last OS that Apple released on a variable timetable of 18-24 months between releases. The quality level at release time was a lot better than some recent versions of macOS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2020 10:25AM by JoeH.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: June 12, 2020 11:57AM
Also, wasn't Snow Leopard the final OS to run carbonized apps? So older apps would still run.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: June 12, 2020 03:47PM
And SL can be run on most 2011 Core-i# Macs because the 2011 15" MBPro released with it and crucially, the necessary drivers. You need to do a bit of .plist editing to enable Minis and 13" MBPros but it's worth the time to get that OS running fully enabled on truly fast hardware with Rosetta support.
Posted by: rz
Date: June 13, 2020 04:39PM
It didn't go on sale until August 28th. A very traumatic event happened for me that day, shortly after returning from the Apple store with my copy of SL.
Posted by: rz
Date: June 13, 2020 04:46PM
Also, I still have it running on two Macbooks, and have a VM of it on my Mac Pro. The one Macbook is now dedicated as my video downloading and cassette converting machine. I have an HDPVR, which lets me download stuff off my Directv receiver in 1080i, and the license for the software is tied to that machine. I also have a cassette deck, running through a Griffin iMic, to convert cassettes to aiff using Audacity.

The other Macbook doesn't get much use, but I haven't decided to part with it just yet. The VM gets used about once a week to use NT Newswatcher to download stuff from Usenet.

It's definitely the best version of OS X. For me, personally, the second best version was 10.1. It was the first stable version of OS X that allowed me to make the jump from OS 9.1.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 363
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018