advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
temp run of ethernet - use new cable from spool or a found cable?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 11, 2020 11:53PM
Poll
Should I use new or found ethernet for a temporary run?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
12 votes were received.
New - why risk it? 7

58%
Found - its probably fine! 5

42%

My plan to run ethernet through the walls of my house has been proceeding slowly due to my reluctance to punch holes in plaster and lath walls. In the mean time, I think I'll use some some soffit space for a temporary install. I managed to run a fiberglass pole from the basement to the first floor soffit space so it feels like the hard work is done. Did I mention my appreciation for PoE?

I found a good length of cat 5e ethernet cable that has one connector. Who knows why the other end abruptly terminates. Or why so many zip ties were used to secure it to a length of conduit running across the basement ceiling. It'll definitely be removed and it might work.

The alternative is to tap my 500ft roll of cat 6a.

Which would you do?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2020 11:56PM by mattkime.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: temp run of ethernet - use new cable from spool or a found cable?
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 12, 2020 12:01AM
I would recommend new. Securing Category cable with zip ties can destroy the twists inside the cable jacket, which in turn destroys the cable’s performance.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: June 12, 2020 12:06AM
As someone who is still cleaning up "temporary" installs I did in 2004-2006 at work, go with the new Cat-6a, and do it right ONCE.

"Temporary" is usually longer than you think...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 12, 2020 06:49AM
New. Odds are someone stretched the cable and it's got breaks elsewhere..... I saw the aftermath after a union apprentice electrician decided to pull a bunch of Cat5e through a 200' conduit. Instead of pull it a section at a time, he ran a pull line, tied it all together, and tried to pull it by hand. That was too hard (he forgot the lube). So he tied the pull line to a forklift and drove off. Every single cable was damaged and useless.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 12, 2020 08:25AM
cbelt3
New. Odds are someone stretched the cable and it's got breaks elsewhere..... I saw the aftermath after a union apprentice electrician decided to pull a bunch of Cat5e through a 200' conduit. Instead of pull it a section at a time, he ran a pull line, tied it all together, and tried to pull it by hand. That was too hard (he forgot the lube). So he tied the pull line to a forklift and drove off. Every single cable was damaged and useless.

Creative, though.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: June 12, 2020 10:38AM
cbelt3

Were there pull boxes in the conduit run that he just ignored or was it just conduit? Conduit runs are supposed to have pull boxes every 100 feet for just this reason.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 12, 2020 12:02PM
N-OS X-tasy!
cbelt3

Were there pull boxes in the conduit run that he just ignored or was it just conduit? Conduit runs are supposed to have pull boxes every 100 feet for just this reason.

Not always true depending on the size of the wire. I’ve used a winch on long pulls of #6 and heavier wire. Plus lots of cable ‘soap’.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 12, 2020 01:31PM
Speedy
N-OS X-tasy!
cbelt3

Not always true depending on the size of the wire. I’ve used a winch on long pulls of #6 and heavier wire. Plus lots of cable ‘soap’.
EMT and he didn't mess with the interim boxes or the soap. Dude just went to town. Needless to say our hero went home for the remainder of the contract...
Date: June 12, 2020 02:22PM
Speedy
N-OS X-tasy!
cbelt3

I'm referring to comm cable, not electrical wire. Did you not notice the reference to Cat 5e cable in the comment to which I replied?

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2020 02:22PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: June 12, 2020 09:01PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Speedy
N-OS X-tasy!
cbelt3

I'm referring to comm cable, not electrical wire. Did you not notice the reference to Cat 5e cable in the comment to which I replied?

I insist on having electricians sub out data cabling to a company that specializes in data when we do construction projects. No electricians are ever trained on low voltage cable installation.

If you have access to the basement it should be trivial to wire the entire first floor. Just locate your wall locations and drill stright up into the wall cavity.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2020 09:03PM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 12, 2020 09:16PM
>Just locate your wall locations and drill stright up into the wall cavity.

'just', heh.

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: June 12, 2020 11:05PM
mattkime
>Just locate your wall locations and drill stright up into the wall cavity.

'just', heh.

There should be existing electrical wires going up and generally speaking you can see the nails holding the sills to the floor sticking through.

Alternatively, you could make your hole in the wall where you want it and use a flexible bit to go down instead of up.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 14, 2020 05:09AM
Paul F.
As someone who is still cleaning up "temporary" installs I did in 2004-2006 at work, go with the new Cat-6a, and do it right ONCE.

"Temporary" is usually longer than you think...

Yes, in most cases the temporary solution becomes the permanent solution.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 178
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018