advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
makes you wanna' up chuck?!....this restaurant chain may be the next to declare bankruptcy......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 12, 2020 08:03AM
.....Chuck E. Cheese....may have to close all stores.....

Chuck E. Cheese Approaches Bankruptcy, Could Have to Close All Stores

....After months of keeping their doors shut amid the coronavirus pandemic, popular kid's restaurant Chuck E. Cheese may not ever reopen.

The brand behind the food-and-games establishment, CEC Entertainment, is nearly $1 billion in debt and is trying to approach lenders for a $200 million loan to keep the business afloat, according to the Wall Steet Journal.

On Friday, the brand announced it would be offering its top executives retention bonuses with the hopes that they would stay on in trying times.

CEC said it would pay nearly $3 million total to three executives, including $1.3 million to CEO David McKillips, the Securities and Exchange Commission filing showed.

The Texas-based restaurant currently operates 610 locations in 47 states but had to close its stores when the pandemic struck, making it extremely difficult for the company to raise capital.

In April, the brand said they were considering refinancing, bankruptcy and restructuring after the pandemic began to cause strain on the restaurant industry, the WSJ reported.

In an attempt to make money during the pandemic, the store masqueraded as Pasqually's Pizza and Wings on delivery apps, a reference to one of Chuck E. Cheese's bandmates.

Employees who were kept on board helped to operate Pasqually's as a takeout brand.

But Chuck E. Cheese is not the only restaurant chain to struggle amid the global health crisis.

Some outposts of IHOP, Denny’s, Ruby Tuesday, TGI Fridays and more have permanently shuttered due to hardships brought on by the pandemic.

CFRA Holdings, a franchisee operating 49 IHOP locations, filed for bankruptcy in early May and cited the coronavirus as the primary reason, according to FSR Magazine.

Aziz Hashim, the founder and managing partner of Ruby Tuesday owner NRD Capital, told Restaurant Business the pandemic will likely spur the closure of many more restaurants.

A Denny’s franchisee, Feast American Diners, closed 15 locations of the popular breakfast chain while locations of the Indianapolis-based chain Steak ‘n Shake and of TGI Fridays have also closed down permanently due in part to the pandemic.

melting........away......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2020 08:05AM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: makes you wanna' up chuck?!....this restaurant chain may be the next to declare bankruptcy......
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 12, 2020 08:08AM
I have a friend who worked in one in '83 and '84. After what he told me went down in the kitchen, I would never set foot in one, much less eat anything.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Re: makes you wanna' up chuck?!....this restaurant chain may be the next to declare bankruptcy......
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 12, 2020 08:12AM
If you’ve ever had the unique opportunity of taking a bunch of young kids there for a birthday party, you probably wouldn’t be too broken up about this.

Also, if you’re a CEO, it’s nice to be able to decide you need to give the CEO a nice “retention” bonus when things are bad; but your employees? Hey, no work, no pay.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: June 12, 2020 08:36AM
Racer X
I have a friend who worked in one in '83 and '84. After what he told me went down in the kitchen, I would never set foot in one, much less eat anything.

Same here, but in fairness when I worked for Sysco I saw some profoundly yucky stuff at much fancier places too. If you can't actually watch them cook your food from start to finish like at a Waffle House, then check the posted health rating and know that it's in (insert deity of your choice here)'s hands.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

"I don't see color, I just see ugly" - Joe Jitsukawa
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 12, 2020 08:54AM
pdq
If you’ve ever had the unique opportunity of taking a bunch of young kids there for a birthday party, you probably wouldn’t be too broken up about this.

Also, if you’re a CEO, it’s nice to be able to decide you need to give the CEO a nice “retention” bonus when things are bad; but your employees? Hey, no work, no pay.
Yeah, I saw that bonus crap too.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: STL
Date: June 12, 2020 09:17AM
Never been there.
Never will
Date: June 12, 2020 09:36AM
STL
Never been there.
Never will

Nor have I. CiCi's, on the other hand... yum smiley *

* Price and convenience considered. I'm under no misapprehension that CiCi's is "fine cuisine", but it's fast, cheap, and I've paid a lot more and waited a lot longer for pizza that was in no way better.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

Posted by: Will Collier
Date: June 12, 2020 10:01AM
Nolan Bushnell weeps.
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 12, 2020 10:01AM
We were guests at others' parties a couple times. The kids had fun, the food was utterly unmemorable.
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 12, 2020 10:10AM
Acer
We were guests at others' parties a couple times. The kids had fun, the food was utterly unmemorable.

Did they have that weird robot band, or is that another place I’m thinking about?
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: June 12, 2020 11:47AM
We had a CiCi's in my area; closed down in what I have to guess is because of franchise mismanagement because it was always packed or nearly so. (This has happened to several franchises in my area; people who start it just think it's a cash machine, open it for a year or two, and then close it down when they realize it's actually work.)

I liked CiCi's; as Thrift said, it's not the best pizza, but it was really good pizza, and I could get a slice or two of several different varieties.

Chuck E. Cheese (I just typed Cuck E Cheese and thought of an entire SNL skit) never had the best pizza, either, but it was good and the kids loved going there. I miss those days. (early 2000s)

Now, Showbiz Pizza, on the other hand, had great pizza. We loved going there was I was a teen; a lot of games and good pie. The Rock-a-Fire Explosion Band was great lagniappe as well.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: June 12, 2020 11:47AM
pdq
Acer

Did they have that weird robot band, or is that another place I’m thinking about?

Both Chuck E. Cheese and, before it, Showbiz Pizza, had robot bands. Kind of a staple of the chains.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 12, 2020 01:18PM
Have never set foot in one. We're lucky in that chains are the exception rather than the rule around here.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: June 12, 2020 01:52PM
While I don't like to see the jobs lost, that's one chain I'll be happy to see disappear.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: June 12, 2020 01:57PM
Where will children go to experience their first disappointing birthday party, complete with recycled pizza, alcohol offerings for adults, and terrifying giant animatronic animals, including the namesake rat?

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2020 01:59PM by rjmacs.
Posted by: d4
Date: June 12, 2020 03:04PM
Our local Chuck E Cheese is in a strip mall with a decent all-you-can-eat Indian Buffet, so we've never eaten at Chuck E Cheese. We go for the ghetto ticket games. 10% skill 90% dumb luck. And a single one-hour unlimited play card split between 4 of us. In the covid era, that game area will be even more of a petri dish than it normally is.

Posted by: vision63
Date: June 12, 2020 04:47PM
rjmacs
Where will children go to experience their first disappointing birthday party, complete with recycled pizza, alcohol offerings for adults, and terrifying giant animatronic animals, including the namesake rat?

They're lucky to be getting any kind of party. I never had one growing up, nor did I go to many.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 12, 2020 05:37PM
I so want to go to that liquidation sale and pick up some animatronics and video games!

Date: June 12, 2020 06:27PM
vision63
rjmacs

They're lucky to be getting any kind of party. I never had one growing up, nor did I go to many.

Poor guy! We should throw you a birthday party! Which would you prefer: Circus-themed, Cowboy-themed, or Bachelor-Party-themed with a field trip to the local strip club?

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 12, 2020 06:38PM
Not the worst thing in the world.

It is what it is.
Posted by: vision63
Date: June 13, 2020 01:22AM
Thrift Store Scott
vision63
rjmacs

Poor guy! We should throw you a birthday party! Which would you prefer: Circus-themed, Cowboy-themed, or Bachelor-Party-themed with a field trip to the local strip club?

I've had some when I was a grownup. Yay me. Today is also my actual birthday btw. But when I was a kid, it really wasn't common to have a party. My mother, brother and sister would all make it my special day and they'd buy me gifts. Mom would bake a yellow cake with chocolate frosting and we'd enjoy that. That was enough. I was very happy with that.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: June 13, 2020 07:37AM
vision63
Today is also my actual birthday btw.

Happy Birthday man!!

How’s that saying, greener something something fence...
Date: June 13, 2020 09:09AM
Belated happy birthday, vision63!!

rj
AKA
Date: June 13, 2020 09:56AM
vision63
Thrift Store Scott
vision63
rjmacs

I've had some when I was a grownup. Yay me. Today is also my actual birthday btw. But when I was a kid, it really wasn't common to have a party. My mother, brother and sister would all make it my special day and they'd buy me gifts. Mom would bake a yellow cake with chocolate frosting and we'd enjoy that. That was enough. I was very happy with that.

Ah! Well, first off Happy Birthday!

Secondly, when you said you never had a birthday party growing up I thought you meant that your birthday was never celebrated or acknowledged in any way at all. Cake and presents still counts as a party to me, just not an epic blowout.

Date: June 13, 2020 01:00PM
Apologies to the forum (and the poor staff at Chuck E. Cheese) - I can't control myself...

Thrift Store Scott
Cake and presents still counts as a party to me, just not an epic blowout.

Well, I can attest that a stomach-ful of C-E-C pizza and cake is a perfect recipe for an epic blowout! smiley-shocked003 smiley12

rj
AKA
Posted by: rz
Date: June 13, 2020 05:01PM
Thankfully my kid doesn't like pizza, so we never went.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 13, 2020 05:52PM
rz
Thankfully my kid doesn't like pizza, so we never went.

What makes you think the stuff they serve is pizza?

Posted by: sunfalcon
Date: June 14, 2020 04:10PM
Back in the 80s, Chucky Cheese and Showbiz were the place to go for all of the great video games. Pizza sucked, but the games were awesome!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 111
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018