advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Will this mic work with a late 2013 MacBook pro?
Posted by: reezekeys
Date: June 12, 2020 10:33PM
I know our MacBook Pro's headphone jack also serves as a microphone input because I've seen it work when a pair of cheap earbuds w/mic were plugged in. These buds have a TRRS plug and the "Input" section in Sound Preferences changed to "external mic" as soon as I inserted the plug.

I would really like to be able to use this Pyle headworn mic on the MacBook Pro. According to the spec sheet it uses a "back electret" element which I thought did not require a power supply. I'm confused because the spec sheet says "Power Supply: DC 1.5V-10V." This mic uses a 1/8" TS connector, so how would it get power from that? And does anyone know if the Mac provides power through its TRRS headphone jack? I'm guessing it can't since you'd be shorting it to ground if you inserted a regular TRS headphone cord. I'm aware that I would need an adapter to properly connect the mic. Any help in relieving my confusion is appreciated Thanks!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Will this mic work with a late 2013 MacBook pro?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 12, 2020 11:14PM
Not a TRRS connector, so are the rest of the concerns moot?

On the other hand, how could a device with a two conductor connector function as both output and input ... the software’s gonna expect duplex operation, no?
Posted by: August West
Date: June 13, 2020 07:40AM
Can't speak to this particular mic, but IIRC there are electrets with a built-in polarized power supply construction that don't need an external power supply.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: rich in distress
Date: June 13, 2020 09:25AM
The design calls for the device be connected to a wireless transmitter which would provide power.
You could rig up a box with a battery and device appropriate connectors, but it may be too much of a hassle... or a fun lil’project.
Date: June 13, 2020 01:12PM
deckeda
Not a TRRS connector, so are the rest of the concerns moot?

On the other hand, how could a device with a two conductor connector function as both output and input ... the software’s gonna expect duplex operation, no?

I guess you misread my post. This is about a microphone, it has a single TS connector because all it is is a mic – there is no headset or earphones, so it does not need to function as "both output and input." It does need an adapter to maintain the correct connection to the MBP's TRRS jack – which I acknowledged in my post when I wrote "I'm aware that I would need an adapter to properly connect the mic."
Date: June 13, 2020 01:15PM
rich in distress
The design calls for the device be connected to a wireless transmitter which would provide power.
You could rig up a box with a battery and device appropriate connectors, but it may be too much of a hassle... or a fun lil’project.

After a little more research I've found out that belt packs for wireless mics can provide power over a standard 1/8" miniplug (TS) connection. What I need to find out now is whether the MacBook Pro's TRRS jack provides any power. How do MBPs and iPhones work with earbud microphones? No luck getting a definitive answer... yet!
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 13, 2020 01:32PM
......as long as no one tries to slip you.....the mic........(key)......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: June 13, 2020 09:47PM
No, no power.
Date: June 13, 2020 11:41PM
Thank you! I'm still curious how those headset & earbud mics work when you plug them into the computer.
Date: July 06, 2020 02:30PM
anonymouse1
No, no power.

Actually, YES, power. I wound up ordering the mic and adapter/splitter and they arrived this morning. The mic works just fine with both my Mac and iPhone SE (original). Of course you need the splitter/adapter I mentioned (TRRS plug to two separate jacks, one for headphones and one for the microphone).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2020 06:27PM by reezekeys.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 275
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018