advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Deck construction question
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 13, 2020 08:50PM
I'm building a floating deck (on concrete deck blocks) and am doubling up the 2x6 boards on the perimeter. I have the first layer attached to the joists with 2 3" decking screws from the outside, plus joist hangers with all 8 nails on each on the inside.

My question is how best to attach the second layer of 2x6
boards around the perimeter. I had originally bought 4" exterior construction screws to go through both 2x6s and into the end of each joist, but am now thinking I don't want to see the screw heads from the outside. Of course I cannot use a 4" screw from the inside. Will a 3" construction screw be okay if installed from the inside pointing out?

Or should I just use the 3" nails I have also been using for the joist hangers?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Deck construction question
Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 13, 2020 09:17PM
Is the outside 2x6 mostly decorative or used to fill in some visual gap? If so, the short screws are fine. Just do them from inside.

There are also 3 1/2" construction screws.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 13, 2020 09:37PM
I think you should provide a gold star to anyone who understands the question, unless `doubling up the 2x6 boards on the perimeter` is some sort of predefined decking style.

I'd need to see a diagram to be certain.

What is the job of the second set of boards? If you want them to be tied into the posts then I think you'd need to switch from screws to bolts. If you want it to just kind of help out the first set of perimeter boards then you could just use screws between the two sets of boards.

...but I don't really know anything about building a deck.

Posted by: Grateful11
Date: June 13, 2020 10:19PM
Put a 2x8 around the perimeter sticking up the thickness of your decking boards. Makes for a very clean look.

Like this:

Grateful11
Posted by: MikeF
Date: June 13, 2020 11:55PM
Note that 3" screw points may stick out a little on just two thicknesses of 2x6 (which are really only 1-1/2 thick). If you're going to do it from the inside, I'd go with 2-1/2 or 2-3/4.

Note that any damage that occurs to the outer board in the future will be a royal pain to replace, if needed.
Date: June 14, 2020 05:12AM
Grateful11
Put a 2x8 around the perimeter sticking up the thickness of your decking boards. Makes for a very clean look.

Like this:

Right, that does look lovely but would you attach them by screwing from the inside?
Date: June 14, 2020 05:13AM
mattkime
I think you should provide a gold star to anyone who understands the question, unless `doubling up the 2x6 boards on the perimeter` is some sort of predefined decking style.

I'd need to see a diagram to be certain.

What is the job of the second set of boards? If you want them to be tied into the posts then I think you'd need to switch from screws to bolts. If you want it to just kind of help out the first set of perimeter boards then you could just use screws between the two sets of boards.

...but I don't really know anything about building a deck.

See the diagram from Grateful11 for reference. There are no posts in a floating deck.
Date: June 14, 2020 05:18AM
deckeda
Is the outside 2x6 mostly decorative or used to fill in some visual gap? If so, the short screws are fine. Just do them from inside.

There are also 3 1/2" construction screws.

Mostly visual as the joists are each supported by blocks less than 2' from the ends, but having a 2nd layer will undoubtedly provide more rigidity.

A 3.5" screw would also penetrate both boards so I would want 3" or slightly less.
Date: June 14, 2020 05:21AM
MikeF
Note that 3" screw points may stick out a little on just two thicknesses of 2x6 (which are really only 1-1/2 thick). If you're going to do it from the inside, I'd go with 2-1/2 or 2-3/4.

Note that any damage that occurs to the outer board in the future will be a royal pain to replace, if needed.

Agreed. The whole deck is so close the ground that doing anything without removing all the decking boards will be nigh impossible anyway, so I'm leaning towards from the inside. Gonna pickup some 3" Construction screws today which run just under 3" from the bottom of the head.
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: June 14, 2020 04:00PM
I hope you are using pressure treated material for the framing.
Posted by: Michael
Date: June 14, 2020 04:23PM
mikebw
MikeF

Agreed. The whole deck is so close the ground that doing anything without removing all the decking boards will be nigh impossible anyway, so I'm leaning towards from the inside. Gonna pickup some 3" Construction screws today which run just under 3" from the bottom of the head.

If you're talking about the bottom of the head as being the start of the shaft of the screw after the conical shape of the head, then I agree with MikeF. I think you're going to find that the points stick out just a tiny bit--enough to catch on and tear your pants as you walk by--if you fully sink the heads.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: June 15, 2020 09:44AM
Run your screws in on a slight angle to keep the points from coming through on the outside.

Grateful11
Date: June 15, 2020 03:15PM
I was also very concerned about the above, but I drove in 70+ of these guys and only had one poke out enough to feel it with my finger, and that was with the washer head sinking into the wood more than it probably should have.

3 in. Strong-Drive SDS Structural Wood Screw
[www.homedepot.com]
Posted by: JoeH
Date: June 15, 2020 05:39PM
Some screw styles you should also be able to find in the 2 3/4" length and avoid the points coming through at all
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 295
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018